A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One  (Read 508741 times)

Offline JFroelich

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Round Table Pizza dough recipe - Part One
« Reply #700 on: November 12, 2020, 10:58:52 PM »
I have followed this thread for 15 years off and on and occasionally come back and read through all the pages of notes.  This is my first post on this forum.

Lydia and DNA Dan:  Thank you for so much effort made to recreate Round Table's pizza recipe.  I grew up in Vista, CA and now live in Carlsbad, CA (both in San Diego County).  Vista Round Table Pizza was VERY SPECIAL to my family.  My parents and I enjoyed it multiple times per month.  When I was in high school, I convinced my entire 80+ person track and field team to visit Vista Round Table after every track and field meet.  The owners offered our entire team BOGO after track meets.  The owners (Brizeno Family) were very kind to our family and the entire community.  Unfortunately, on 05/19/2013 they closed their doors. 

I will say that this was a family run Round Table, and not a corporate run joint.  Yes, it is the same Round Table brand as the corporate, but this family did things slightly different.  Their crust was always bubbly and had beautiful layers and the sauce was zesty. 

I now occasionally go to the Oceanside, CA Round Table...  Unfortunately it is no where near as good of quality pizza.  Their crust doesn't have flakey layers, the cheese is often not cooked long enough, and it is so disappointing.  I am uncertain if this is just due to a change in product recipe by corporate RT, or if each individual RT has different qualities.

I am hoping to hear from DNA Dan and Lydia on the most updated Standard RT Pizza Crust and Sauce.  I will use mushrooms, pepperoni and probably onions as toppings. 

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you are still out there - What have you found to be the best method and recipe to build a large standard pizza?  I am hoping to see your latest on method for preparing the dough as well!  Hope to hear from you soon   :drool:

Offline Lydia

« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2021, 09:03:17 PM »
Here's a shout out to all the new forum members! To everyone: I'm always glad to see your progress, pics and shared nostalgia.

Hi JFroelich

Glad you posted after watching for so many years.

I'm hopefully on my way back to the forum soon.

You may wish to use Mad_Ernies updates with the Great Value tortilla flour since I haven't had a chance to test out the change in ingredients in the Quaker harina.

ATM the only thing I would add to the Cheaters Recipe/dough, is to use "dried out" scrap dough exclusively for the middle layer. Scrap dough is "reqiured" by the restaurants. Although the restaurants don't "exactly" intend for the "dried out" part, it is exactly what's required to produce the layering we are seeking.

Dried out, in the sense that, the upper surface has developed a hard crust.

The more dried out, the more distinct layering.

I don't have any guidance on this right now, but you can speed up the process in the oven and it works out just the same.

Regarding proper thickness,: if your not getting bubbles at the 2-2.5 minute mark, its too thick. The inverse is also true. Too thin = bubbles too early and if you've gone way too thin it will balloon like pita bread. This is with or without the dried out scrap. Oh and pop those bubbles at about 20-35 seconds after forming.

I know I've mentioned before but will reinterate here that there is a distinct difference between bubble formation and ballooning. Bubbles develope in 1 or more ping-pong ball shapes, typically on the edges, whereas ballooning can start anywhere and is more flat and grows until there is total separation.

Hopefully in the near future I will be able to post some strict dough fermation procedures. They will be strict because I use this dough for all the "California Original Four" (Round Table, shakey's, strawhat, me n eds).

Unfortunately, I haven't done any more work on the sauce.

Meanwhile, I hope this helps.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline PapaJohnny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #702 on: February 08, 2021, 01:19:45 PM »
Hey Lydia! Great to see you back in this thread!

I grew up in CA on Round Table pizza and of course those garlic Parmesan twists!  :drool: I live in Idaho now and the closest RT is hundreds of miles away. We have a chain here called Idaho Pizza company that locals claim was originally RT and broke away years ago. Their pizza style is very similar to RT, they even have a few pies on the menu that are direct clones of RT pizza with different names like my old favorite Italian Garlic Supreme (they call it wilderness garlic extreme)... If you catch them on a good day their pizza isn't bad, but their quality varies quite a bit from location to location and I find their pizza dough to be very dense and chewy. It'll give your jaw a heck of a workout!

Lately I've been making a lot of New York style and was looking for something different and was excited to stumble upon this thread.

So let me start by saying thanks to Lydia for her awesome cheater recipe, and her video that is still watchable on google drive, MAD_Ernie for his work on this as well and bringing up the substitution for the Walmart tortilla blend. And Pete-zza, DNA Dan and the many others who have contributed to this thread over the years and motivated me to try to reproduce the ultimate pizza of my childhood.

I visited my local Walmart to try to track down the tortilla flour blends and to my surprise they had both the quaker, and the great value version in stock so I bought a bag of each and decided I would try both Lydia and MAD_Ernie's versions.

Both of these recipes produced great results. I found that the quaker version seemed to have a more fermented taste versus the GV which I liked. They both produced nice layered texture with great crunch on the bottom. They seem lighter than what I remember of RT - but in a good way. Honestly I think they hit the mark as close as I feel I need to get at home and I will be making these in the future.

Next time I'll likely make a couple slight tweaks to suit my tastes. I think the reduced hydration level in MAD_Earnie's version produced a texture closer to what I'm looking for. I may even try to bring it down a % or two. I think he has it at 50% - I think next time I'll go at 48% and see how it goes. The texture was really good on both of these though. The only other change I'd make would be to add some salt. Maybe because I'm addicted to it  :P, but I reached for the shaker when I was eating these pizzas and I think it made the flavor really pop. I'll probably add 1% salt to the dough on my next try and see how it goes.

I baked on a stone at 500 degrees for about 5 minutes and ended up hitting the broiler at the end for about a minute to sear up the top to my liking. My oven can go 550 so I'll probably try that on the next round.

I used the sauce recipe provided on page 34 of this thread provided by FoodieZ and I found it to be very good and seemed to have all the right notes. I subbed the turmeric for mustard powder per a suggestion by Lydia and the sauce was delicious. Definitely better than our local Idaho Pizza RT clone chain!

I'll post some photos below. first pizza is Lydia's recipe with Quaker mix. that one was full pep, sausage, and mushroom. Second one was made using great value blend and MAD_Ernie's hydration level reduction.

Again both were excellent and will definitely be trying it again another time. I don't think it matters much what tortilla mix you get. The quaker seemed to produce a slightly better fermented taste so I'd opt for that one personally but the great value worked great too. I'd definitely reduce the hydration to 50% or maybe even slightly less personally. This thing gets pretty subjective but all in all these are great recipes for this type of pizza. Thanks again to all involved!

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #703 on: February 09, 2021, 09:05:22 AM »
Glad to see you back, Lydia.  You've been missed. :)

Looking forward to any more tips or experiments you have to post here on the RT clone topic.

Best regards,

ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• Lifetime Member
  • Passionate about Pizza!
« Reply #704 on: February 23, 2021, 10:24:56 PM »
Glad to see the old gang!  Looking forward to some new posts.

PapaJohnny:  Great work on your RT clone.   Hope to see your next efforts as well.   I've never made the sauce with mustard powder.  I will have to try that.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #705 on: February 25, 2021, 11:48:09 AM »
I have a request for anyone who is up to the challenge. 

I think Lydia's dough recipe has pretty much nailed the crust as far as home-making at RT clone.
I have tried a multitude of recipes for the RT pizza sauce and I don't think any of them have even come close.  If anyone has a recipe for what they think is at least pretty darn close to the RT sauce, please post here. 

I will be happy to give anything a try. :chef:

Many thanks in advance.

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline PapaJohnny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #706 on: March 01, 2021, 11:24:56 PM »
Glad to see the old gang!  Looking forward to some new posts.

PapaJohnny:  Great work on your RT clone.   Hope to see your next efforts as well.   I've never made the sauce with mustard powder.  I will have to try that.

Thanks for the kind words RockyMountainPie. I had a good time trying this recipe and I am grateful to Lydia for posting it as well as to Mad Ernie for his work on it.

Regarding the sauce.. I found FoodieZ's recipe on page 34 to be pretty close to my recollection of RT sauce - with the mustard powder added instead of Turmeric. Turmeric isn't the right flavor in my opinion. Mustard adds the brightness that the sauce needs. I also added a bit more water to hydrate it slightly more than the original recipe specified. I like the results and think they work well with this style of pizza.

I also made garlic twists with some of the leftover dough and they were spot on. sooo good!

I'm going to make this RT clone recipe again soon - maybe this weekend and I am going to try to do a better job of rolling the layers thinner. I think that would have made it a little closer to RT. I'll post pics next time I make it.

Overall a great recipe, and one that I will be keeping in my regular pizza rotation!

Offline bcar473

« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »
I went to two Round Table locations in my town asking to purchase bags of spices.  Both managers on duty seemed sympathetic to selling me the spices, but in the end, they said that the can't... BUT... one of the told me, "if you can find a franchisee that will, they can order a large box of 12 spice packets"... that should last a lifetime!  Now if we could find a franchisee to sell us the packets!

Offline PapaJohnny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #708 on: September 21, 2021, 12:25:39 PM »
I decided to change up my usual pizza night run of New York style pizzas and revisit Lydia's AWESOME recipe for round table style crust yesterday. I'm so glad I did! I think it was my best result using this recipe. I used the current version of the Quaker tortilla mix with General Mills All Trumps flour, and pretty much followed Lydia's instructions to the letter. Including her most recent post which recommends using scrap dough for the middle layer. I let the middle layer dry on the counter a bit while I prepped toppings and I think this helped. I baked the pizza on a stone in the top position at 550 for about 5 min. Turned on the broiler for about a minute in the end to crisp up the top. The results were so good and I'm going to go out on a limb to say that this recipe might taste better than the pizza that inspired it. My biggest complaint with RT pizza is consistency between restaurants. Some do a great job and others produce a very dense crust that can really give your jaw a workout. Last night's pizza came out tender and had the perfect chew. I think this was due to resisting the urge to over mix it in the food processor and not folding it more than 3 times midway through the room temp proof.

I put a couple pics below. Sorry about the bite marks  ;)... this pizza didn't last long enough for a proper photo shoot

Another big thanks to Lydia for sharing this very awesome recipe, and also Mad_Ernie for his efforts on it and photos of his work which definitely motivated me to try it. For all you lurkers like I was to this thread, give this a try! Honestly I like it so much I'm thinking I need a sheeter in my kitchen.  :-D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 12:27:59 PM by PapaJohnny »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #709 on: September 26, 2021, 05:15:07 PM »
Looks great, Papa Johnny!  I'd say you hit the mark!  8)

-ME
Let them eat pizza.