A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?  (Read 538587 times)

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mellow Mushroom Pizza found in Atlanta and surroundin areas...Recipes?
« Reply #2180 on: November 05, 2016, 11:35:16 PM »
So i decided to give this a try tonight as it sounded interesting having the molasses in the dough.  I've eaten at a Mellow Mushroom once, but it was probably about 6yrs ago so i don't really remember it.

51% water, .5% IDY, 1.9% salt, 1.9% oil, 11.5% molasses, 3 day CF, cooked about 8min at 500 w/ convection on a stone.

Unfortunately I had a bunch of hungry ppl and another pizza in the over and i completely forgot about taking pictures until there were only 2 pieces left and one of them is kinda blurry sorry.
We all really liked it and one person said it did kind of remind them of a MM pizza.  I will definitely  be making this again as the dough had a great flavor and was
very different than the NY style pizza's i've been making.

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
« Reply #2181 on: December 16, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »
MM#7-Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses MM Clone Dough Formulation With Pendleton Power Flour
Pendleton Power Flour (100%):
Water (Spring Water) (51%):
IDY (0.60%):
Salt (Table Salt) (1.50%):
Vegetable (Soybean) Oil (2.46%):
Golden Barrel Supreme Baking Molasses (11.5%):
Total (167.06%):
314.69 g  |  11.1 oz | 0.69 lbs
160.49 g  |  5.66 oz | 0.35 lbs
1.89 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.63 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
4.72 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.85 tsp | 0.28 tbsp
7.74 g | 0.27 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.7 tsp | 0.57 tbsp
36.19 g | 1.28 oz | 0.08 lbs | 5.43 tsp | 1.81 tbsp
525.72 g | 18.54 oz | 1.16 lbs | TF = 0.1204643
Note: Dough is for a single 14” pizza; nominal thickness factor = 0.118684; “adjusted” hydration = 53.3%; “effective” hydration = 55.8%; bowl residue compensation = 1.5%

Peter

Hi Peter, I plan to do a calzone usign this formulation as it worked for me in the past but I cant for the life of me remember how long I let it cold ferment.  Do you think 48h may be too long for this?  If so, I have no problems with making a calzone tomorrow!  I mixed it up and refrigerated the doughball with a final dough temp of 80F.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2182 on: December 16, 2016, 07:30:45 PM »
Hermit,

My recollection is that the amount of yeast (0.60%) presumed that the dough was frozen and later defrosted over a period of around one or two days. If you plan to make a fresh dough and cold ferment it for 48 hours, you should reduce the amount of yeast considerably. I would reduce the amount by half and make any other adjustments if needed because of the elevation where you live. But since it looks like you have already made a dough, I would reduce the amount of cold fermentation considerably. Just watch the dough that it doesn't get out of control.

I also never looked into how to use the MM clone doughs to make calzones, but it sounds like you have a plan.

Let us know how things turn out.

Peter

Offline Hermit

« Reply #2183 on: December 16, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »
Thanks Peter, I will keep an eye on the dough and probably pull it tomorrow!  Will share the results.

Offline Hermit

« Reply #2184 on: December 17, 2016, 10:26:08 PM »
The calzone turned out really good.  Perhaps I'll find a recipe that more closely matches my ingredients.  I have beer rabbit molasses, ADY and ardent mills harvest bread flour.

I didn't make the sauce, it's Newman's own cabernet marinara. Topped with 2T of butter with 1/4 tsp granular garlic  and 1/4oz of fresh grated parmesean reggiano.

Offline cor-y

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2185 on: April 23, 2018, 11:59:36 AM »
Hey gang I'm here to resurrect this long stale thread :)

I've never had Mellow Mushroom but the pictures here made me want to try it out. I've made it twice now - with the first time I over did it with the bake time by not paying attention - and I really liked it! Before I post the results here is the ingredients and all other little details: 

I based my formulation/recipe on Peter's reply here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg363403#msg363403 (why I chose that one I can't remember besides it used Grandma's and that's what I had haha)

Oven: preheated @ 500 degrees (max oven temp) using Convection mode for 1 hour - ends up being around 530 degrees give or take preheat time
Stone: 20x14 cordierite  stone (stone temp ended up being around 500-525 depending on a lot of factors haha - i made other pizzas and cheesticks at the same sime) 

I used Gold Medal Bread Flour, Grandma's Original Molasses and Lyle's Golden Syrup, Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt

Flour (100%):
Water (50.72%):
IDY (0.60%):
Salt (1.823%):
Vegetable Oil (1.924%):
Lyle's Golden Syrup (4.264%):
Molasses (7.919%):
Total (167.25%):
305.11 g
154.75 g
1.83 g
5.56 g
5.87 g
13.01 g
24.16 g
510.3 g

put the dry ingredients in a food processor, pulsed to combine, added the water, oil, Golden syrup, molasses and oil to a bowl and whisked to combine ( out of habit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) added this mixture to the processor and processed until dough rode above the metal blade for about 30-40seconds. Removed from the food processor and then one hand kneaded it about 3 times formed into a ball and let rest for approximately 20 minutes. Placed into a ziplock bag in the freezer for about 7 hours.

Then removed it from the freezer two days before baking and let it do its thing. Removed from fridge two hours let it come/get close to room temperate and for the last hour let it sit next to the preheating oven for residual heat.

I then baked it on the stone for 7 minutes ( the darker on was for 8 which was too long) 

Ok this is long enough Thanks for all the info gang. It was fun!

Now the pictures! The last pie is the over done one   

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:05:27 PM by cor-y »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2186 on: April 23, 2018, 01:21:36 PM »
Cory,

Congratulations. I think you did a terrific job with your MM clones, and I'm glad you liked them. I especially liked the darker pizza.

You referenced the MM clone dough formulation at Reply 2110 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg363403#msg363403 but your blend of molasses and golden syrup reminded me more of the MM clone formulation that I posted at Reply 2123 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg366419;topicseen#msg366419

The Lyle's name goes back to the UK in 1881 but still survives in the golden syrup that you tried. Not many places carry the Lyle's Golden Syrup in the U.S.  In all of my MM clone dough formulations I tried to get the nutrition numbers to match what MM posted. I concluded that the formulation given in Reply 2123 referenced above was perhaps closest to the MM nutrition data. However, because we do not know what brand of molasses or equivalent syrup product MM actually uses, we will perhaps not ever be able to say that we nailed it when using the molasses products and syrups that I used in the MM clone dough formulations.

Peter

Offline cor-y

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2187 on: April 23, 2018, 01:51:18 PM »
Thanks Peter!

Yeah the darker one I liked the color but it was almost on the verge of crunchy/hard almost dried out inside. If I paid attention more I would've pulled it off the stone and set it under the broiler to get the color but that's what learning is about haha

I used the golden syrup (and you're more than likely right about which one I based my pies on seeing the steens there) since I had it on hand from using the BraveTart cookbook. If it weren't for that I wouldn't have used it. I thought about using agave nectar and refined coconut oil but tossed that thought out at the last second.

Thanks for all the info you all supplied it was fun! I'll have to try an actual mm pizza now

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #2188 on: April 23, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
cor-y,

I also agree with Peter that you did a terrific job with your MM clones!   ;D

Norma

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2189 on: April 25, 2018, 08:35:10 AM »
That pizza looks very much like the one we had recently at the MM in Savannah. I did not know this was part of a “chain”. It was soft, gloppy (heavily topped + tons of cheese) & fine for what it was.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #2190 on: September 29, 2018, 11:08:36 AM »
I'm at the Mellow Mushroom orientation, maybe we can finally shed some light once and for all.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2191 on: September 29, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
I'm at the Mellow Mushroom orientation, maybe we can finally shed some light once and for all.
MR,

You are smart and talented and knows a lot about pizza making so you should be in fine shape and even know what questions to ask. From my perspective, the main sticking point (no pun intended) is where MM gets its molasses and if it is really molasses. Of course, an orientation may not get into that level of detail.

Peter

Offline Hermit

« Reply #2192 on: September 29, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
Very cool MR!  The large pies they make and cut slices from during lunch rush are the best  :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Their pepperoni and bacon slice is my favorite (2 please), veggie pie used to be amazing and refreshing (fresh romas, fresh broccoli florets, peppers, etc) but the sausage and mushroom calzone is maybe the best thing there.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2193 on: September 29, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
MR,

You are smart and talented and knows a lot about pizza making so you should be in fine shape and even know what questions to ask. From my perspective, the main sticking point (no pun intended) is where MM gets its molasses and if it is really molasses. Of course, an orientation may not get into that level of detail.

Peter
I found out they get their dough pre made and shipped frozen, the dough is a mystery. Their pizza sauce is also pre made, I did see some  cans of 6 in 1 though.
I was disappointed to see a conveyor oven, it has a moving heat floor. I swear the other Mellow Mushroom near me has a deck oven.

We'll see.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2194 on: September 29, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
I found out they get their dough pre made and shipped frozen, the dough is a mystery. Their pizza sauce is also pre made, I did see some  cans of 6 in 1 though.
I was disappointed to see a conveyor oven, it has a moving heat floor. I swear the other Mellow Mushroom near me has a deck oven.

We'll see.
MR,

You are correct about the use of frozen dough. However, the stores around Atlanta, where they have a commissary, get fresh dough balls. The MM pizza sauce uses #10 cans of Bonta Pizza Sauce and 6-n-1 Crushed Tomatoes with Heavy Puree (both made by Escalon), water, olive oil, and pizza spice. From my research, all of the MM stores use Montague or Blodgett deck ovens (note the comment about stone baked pizza at http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/dough-sheeter.98/#post-330). Maybe a conveyor is used for training purposes.

This post might give you a flavor of what you are likely to learn at MM:

Reply 40 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg151292;topicseen#msg151292

Peter

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2195 on: September 29, 2018, 05:11:44 PM »
MR,

You are correct about the use of frozen dough. However, the stores around Atlanta, where they have a commissary, get fresh dough balls. The MM pizza sauce uses #10 cans of Bonta Pizza Sauce and 6-n-1 Crushed Tomatoes with Heavy Puree (both made by Escalon), water, olive oil, and pizza spice. From my research, all of the MM stores use Montague or Blodgett deck ovens (note the comment about stone baked pizza at http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/dough-sheeter.98/#post-330). Maybe a conveyor is used for training purposes.

This post might give you a flavor of what you are likely to learn at MM:

Reply 40 at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3940.msg151292;topicseen#msg151292

Peter
I wish it where for training, they're talking about, daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance for it. I honestly hate conveyor ovens because they're a pain to clean, dissemble, and resemble, they're high maintenance by nature.

I'll see if one day I can transfer to the store that has a deck oven.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2197 on: September 30, 2018, 08:27:59 AM »
Interesting video's Norma, I was put off by the corporate employee at my job, I asked and stated "I know THIS store uses a conveyor oven, but doesn't the the store in city XYZ use a deck oven?"
She dodged the question like a politician, saying how the conveyor oven is free of human error, cost 50K, it's the engine of the restaurant. I honestly don't want to work at a pizza shop with a conveyor oven, takes the skill, uniqueness, and human touch out of the equation.

I'll work there for the time being but I'll leave soon.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #2198 on: September 30, 2018, 11:11:31 AM »
MR - you should bring some dough in from home and make a pie from it in that oven - it would be interesting to see how it comes out - BTW, agree on the conveyor - never had a good slice out of one....
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #2199 on: September 30, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
MR - you should bring some dough in from home and make a pie from it in that oven - it would be interesting to see how it comes out - BTW, agree on the conveyor - never had a good slice out of one....
I moved and now we have a weaker oven, and it's smaller. Also somehow my stone was broken in transport. It's pretty much over for me.
Unless I can find a smaller oven that goes to 550*f and bakes even.

wordpress