A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island  (Read 119934 times)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
Re: Pizza Party on Gabriola Island
« Reply #1640 on: October 31, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »
Amazing pies! (and hefty rain gauge :P)

Did you ever try using pumpkin as a topping?

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1641 on: October 31, 2021, 09:12:02 AM »
Very nice! Look delicious.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • Infinite Monkey Theorem at work
« Reply #1642 on: October 31, 2021, 10:02:46 AM »
Thank you for the notes and likes! I was pleased with the bake, a tad underfermented and a bit too much dough in the cornichone but we will work on that.

Arne, I found it odd you mentioned the Pumpkin Cream, earlier in the day I came across a post on FaceBook from 50 Kalo using Pumpkin Cream and, odd to me . . . Funny Cardoncles! I have had muffins, cookies, pancakes but never pumpkin Pizza! It may just stay that way . .  ..

Having fun, still learning
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:52:36 AM by Icelandr »
Greg
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1643 on: November 08, 2021, 11:39:53 AM »
OK, not one of mine, but good pizza. Neapolitan is a rare commodity around us so on a trip to Vancouver we tried Nicli Antica Pizzaria, and it was the best I have been served. The picture captures the moment I tried to put my bent and twisted fingers into the provided scissors to cut the pizza, I burst out laughing and the pizza was given to the Pizzaioli to cut for us! Good fun and good pizza, even have AVPN certificate displayed, which obviously meant something to them!
Greg

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1644 on: November 08, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
Nice looking pie!!!!!!!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1645 on: November 11, 2021, 09:53:38 PM »
Wow! Thank you for the views of my Pizza lunch! It was very good, as was the salad of, New To Me “Baby Gem” Lettuce, a lettuce similar to romaine, but shorter and thicker, apparently common in Ireland. We found it very good!

Good News for me! A change in orders and my Ooni Koda 16 arrives tomorrow! A new challenge and some more learning, Great Stuff!
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1646 on: November 13, 2021, 11:57:28 PM »
Good Fun, some good food and a realization that clothes may make the difference.

Some disappointment after the scheduled delivery of the new Ooni Koda 16 did not happen, UPS or not!
The bake continued in the Pizza Party, with some fun and success, fist pumping not quite, but a good session. I wanted to try a cheese sauce, rather than a combination of cheeses to lighten the topping to tooth and palette. Sharon made the cream sauce, with the addition of Monterey Jack with Jalpéno to add some interest.

About here came the realization that hugs from pizza old guys with flour covered hands, show unmistakably on blue sweaters! Frisky septuagenarians beware!

Opening a pizza is still a challenge. You can watch a thousand videos, spend, now, 6 years,  and still there is more dough than air in the cornichone. Hydration 66% and have watched every video, but these hands stretching and slapping just don’t seem to win, in my humble opinion of course!

Here are the pizza:

• Margherita
  • A favourite white pizza, this time with a white bechamel with the addition of Monterey Jack with Jalapeño. Ham, diced colourful peppers, spinach, very nice.
  • An attempt at a pie that is haunting me from Lilla Napoli! Widely off the mark but a very nice taste. Thin sliced garlic beneath white sauce as above, spinach leaves, bacon pieces, 3 more cheeses and olive oil and pepper to finish.
We are stuffed, the pizza were not finished, but we were. Good fun , Good Pizza
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1647 on: November 14, 2021, 02:43:22 PM »
I believe it was Arne that suggested I was crazy to compare, and yes as I look, he may well be right!
I wanted to show the pizza I was trying for and yes there is a long way to go, but I’ve made some progress. Suggestions, beyond “Take up Knitting” could be useful.
Greg

Online tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1648 on: November 14, 2021, 08:29:25 PM »
I believe it was Arne that suggested I was crazy to compare, and yes as I look, he may well be right!
I wanted to show the pizza I was trying for and yes there is a long way to go, but I’ve made some progress. Suggestions, beyond “Take up Knitting” could be useful.
Not sure which one is yours but they both wouldn’t last very long if placed in front of me. Your pizzas always look great.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #1649 on: November 15, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
The biggest difference to me appearance wise is more browning and doneness to the top photo. Like a a little more time spinning the pizza to brown the cornicione and maybe a quick dome? Not sure how that translates from a domed WFO to a Pizza Parth though.

In any case, I agree with tkmcmichael and wouldn't hesitate to eat either pizza. Also, I always like the look of your Margherita pizza.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1650 on: November 16, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »
Arrival . . . check!

First bake a day or so away, should be interesting!

Greg

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • Sour dough = happy me
« Reply #1651 on: November 17, 2021, 12:27:03 AM »
Congratulations! Look forward to seeing some results.
Heine
Oven: Effeuno P134H

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1652 on: November 20, 2021, 01:59:37 PM »
A pizza session with family and a chance to try out my new Bradley Mixer . . . . Video below, sorry about the chatter, can’t figure out how to mute audio.

The Pizza party this time not the Ooni yet. They went from Neapolitan to party pizza as Bradley and Son took over from the old guy. A session of 8 pizza, I hear you saying, that’s 4 times his usual! It was good fun cooking and eating with Family!

Edit, one too many pizzas

« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:33:12 PM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1653 on: November 24, 2021, 04:28:49 PM »
With luck an OONI bake tonight.
Seems a little cooler than expected on first heat up but it is 5°C outside,
Yes, it is a temporary location.
Greg

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1654 on: November 24, 2021, 11:56:01 PM »
A First! Cooking with the Ooni 16.

Ordered in August, arrived last week after changing to different supplier. That left so much time to watch videos, read reviews, comparing positive and negative and of course worrying that it wouldn’t meet the needs. My reason for the order was the summer fire season shut down on our little island the past couple of years, killing my adventures in wood fired pizza. Encouraged by Sharon, supportive wife of 50+ years I ordered and tonight we gave it a try. Both of us were impressed for a first bake!

Cool design, easy setup and good quality manufacturing on first try.  Both of us are very impressed with the first results. I made the usual sourdough, 66% hydration, 2.8% salt fermented at 21° for 24 hours in my fermentation chamber. Surprisingly good.

The oven heated for about 45 minutes to an hour in the makeshift stand on a windy night, at 4-5°C. The temperatures were quite a bit lower than my usual,bake of 480-495° C, highest in the center of the floor was about 390°, hotter or cooler depending on where you measured.
I should note I did not have to use paper, matches, kindling, split oak of various sizes, or nurse the fire as I ate or sipped wine!

I started with some trepidation with a small ball, about 8-9”, the results of a miscalculation of waste percent. This was a Margherita, the Queen to christen the oven! It was great! Turning was a tad tricky because it was smaller and the floor has less “tooth” than the Biscotto I am used to, but turn I did and it came out well!

As we ate the first, sipping wine, I did not have to check the fire or add wood. OK, the wine bottle suffered!

Turn soon and frequently, move forward and back, I am sure there is a sweet spot and hope to find it but I was all grins tonight.

• Pepperoni, Black Olive
  • Fine sliced Mushrooms, Tuscan ham fresh garlic on the base, mozzarella, Taleggio, Monterey Jack w Jalapeño, olive oil, pepper and parsley. It was very good.

I am surprised and very pleased on the first bake
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 12:00:13 AM by Icelandr »
Greg

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1655 on: November 25, 2021, 04:41:18 PM »
Greg,

With your outstanding pizza making skills, you will master the new Ooni 16 oven in no time.

Peter

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1656 on: November 25, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »
Thank you so much Peter, Oh how I wish! Going through life as a picky B*stard makes satisfaction a bit tenuous, but I am so enjoying the pursuit. I was surprised by the oven having seen so many burnt pizza on various Facebook posts but it worked very well, more experience required yet . . .  .
Greg

Offline sk

• Belle Pizze!
« Reply #1657 on: November 25, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
Looks like great fun Greg.  Congratulations on your first bake.  Your skills show through even with a different oven.
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saputo Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1658 on: November 25, 2021, 09:54:35 PM »
Just to clarify. In my mind and eye, frequent posting is different than skill. Yes there is a drive to improve, early days!

Thank you.
Greg

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Nonno della pizza
« Reply #1659 on: November 26, 2021, 12:40:17 AM »

In my mind and eye, frequent posting is different than skill.

Perhaps, but they are not mutually exclusive either.

Fantastic results for your first bake in the Ooni, Greg. Come rain, come heat. Nothing's gonna stop you now!