A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Smash burger  (Read 236 times)

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
Smash burger
« on: July 26, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »
I eat pizza frequently, but I do make and eat other things too.

Lunch today, my three patty smash burger made in a blazing hot carbon steel pan. Three 2 ounce patties, a half slice of deli American on the bottom and middle patties, and a full slice of muenster on the top. Mounted on a Wonder bread burger bun with ketchup, mayo, and diced onion as the condiments. Those were my condiments for today. Condiments I use are a mood thing for me. Some days it's plain, and some days it's couple anchovies and an over easy egg on top. I'm strange, but to me, that combo is really tasty.
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my typos, LOL.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Smash burger
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 08:10:10 PM »
If you like those, then you’ll love Oklahoma onion burgers: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=57372.0
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2021, 02:20:58 PM »
that burger looks amazing! we are a potato roll family, but the wonder bread roll looks good.
jeff

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 02:34:14 PM »
That is what I am planning on making a week from Saturday for poker night.
Have a CampChef griddle to do 24 2oz burgers on.
I suspect everyone won't use 3 patties so should be just about right for 8 of us.
Will be making 12 homemade buns to go with them.

Ordered a weight for doing it, should be here Monday.

Will be my first attempt, so anything special with the smashing part?
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2021, 02:44:45 PM »
A weight doesn't really work for smash burgers. You really have to mash it down like he does here.

Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2021, 02:52:34 PM »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:02:07 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2021, 04:24:22 PM »
There are a couple smashing techniques depending on what you like. A heavy press will smash it and give a thin burger with good searing, but it will be mostly uniform in thickness. The other method is to use a very sturdy spatula that doesn't bend, and then smash it hard with the spatula, while dragging the spatula toward the edges. That produces a burger that is thinner around the edge so that it gets crispy. I've done both, and like both, and which I do depends on my food mood at the moment.

The cooking surface needs to be stupidly hot. I heat my carbon steel or cast iron pan to blazing and my thermal thermometer measures well over 500F. The burger will take less than a minute on the first side to cook and the flip side even less. It's really thin and cooks rapidly. You need to be ready to rock 'n roll at cook time, everything laid out and ready for items that need to be placed on the patty while still on the cook top, whether onions, cheese, buns, etc.

To extract the patty well, you're definitely going to need a spatula that has a beveled edge on it like a paint scraper and go in quick and hard with the scrape to get it all up on one smooth stroke. Otherwise, the patty will just tear apart as parts of it stick to the surface. There are plenty of smash burger videos on YouTube to observe the various techniques. Good luck!

That is what I am planning on making a week from Saturday for poker night.
Have a CampChef griddle to do 24 2oz burgers on.
I suspect everyone won't use 3 patties so should be just about right for 8 of us.
Will be making 12 homemade buns to go with them.

Ordered a weight for doing it, should be here Monday.

Will be my first attempt, so anything special with the smashing part?
Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

Isolating a year from C-19 made me a better baker. Unfortunately, it did nothing for my typos, LOL.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 04:24:37 PM »
One of them should work.  :D

Yep, you're set! I was thinking a weight you set on the patty.  :-D
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 04:32:37 PM »
There are a couple smashing techniques depending on what you like. A heavy press will smash it and give a thin burger with good searing, but it will be mostly uniform in thickness. The other method is to use a very sturdy spatula that doesn't bend, and then smash it hard with the spatula, while dragging the spatula toward the edges. That produces a burger that is thinner around the edge so that it gets crispy. I've done both, and like both, and which I do depends on my food mood at the moment.

The cooking surface needs to be stupidly hot. I heat my carbon steel or cast iron pan to blazing and my thermal thermometer measures well over 500F. The burger will take less than a minute on the first side to cook and the flip side even less. It's really thin and cooks rapidly. You need to be ready to rock 'n roll at cook time, everything laid out and ready for items that need to be placed on the patty while still on the cook top, whether onions, cheese, buns, etc.

To extract the patty well, you're definitely going to need a spatula that has a beveled edge on it like a paint scraper and go in quick and hard with the scrape to get it all up on one smooth stroke. Otherwise, the patty will just tear apart as parts of it stick to the surface. There are plenty of smash burger videos on YouTube to observe the various techniques. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips Papa T!!!

============================================================================================================================
Yep, you're set! I was thinking a weight you set on the patty.  :-D

Guess I could have been a little more specific.  :-D

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • marty, whatever happens, don't go to 2020!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »
i've never made a smash burger...in fact, just had my first at a nyc bar, I want to say that somehow they managed to leave the meat a little rare. A new Oklahoma BBQ place opened just down the street from our apt called au jus, they offer an Oklahoma onion burger:

Two smashed ground beef (80/20 chuck & brisket) patties, smothered in fried onions and topped with thin-sliced garlic dill pickles and melted American Cheese on a toasted brioche slider roll

sound pretty good, might have to try one tomorrow...
jeff

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2021, 03:06:00 PM »
I was ready to smash one yesterday, but I forgot to have dinner.
Sure makes a tasty lunch.. thanks for the inspiration.
Risa sin camisa, sinvergüenza.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 03:46:12 PM »
I was ready to smash one yesterday, but I forgot to have dinner.
Sure makes a tasty lunch.. thanks for the inspiration.

I wish i could forget to have dinner.

wordpress