A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update  (Read 1687257 times)

Offline Papa T

• Supporting Member
  • When the moon hits your eye...
Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Reply #19160 on: September 21, 2021, 08:12:10 PM »
My 12 inch NY slice style pizza, eight -8- day CF, using the standard Lehmann NY pizzeria dough recipe (link below to my recipe from an earlier post). It stayed in the fridge a bit longer than I had intended, but turned out pretty good. This morning, I noticed that the dough had some bubbles popping up on the surface, so I decided to make it for lunch today, eight days after mixing.

Monday of last week, I had made a batch of dough to make three 290 gram balls. After 48 hours, I made one of them, as shown in this post, https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg683257#msg683257. The other two dough balls were going to be made the next day for a couple friends who were going to be in town and stop by.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, they couldnít make the trip, so I baked one ball for myself, now about 72 hours CF, and it was very good. I couldnít really tell any difference between the 48 and 72 hour CF times. My palate isnít sophisticated enough to do so.

I was going to bake the last dough ball either the next day (Friday) or Saturday to see how a four or five day CF landed. That didnít happen, either. I was asked at the last minute to assist on a media project, so I put off the baking. This morning, with the dough looking like it either needed to be used now or tossed, I decided lunch was time to see how that eight day CF dough ball turns out. I kept the pie simple, just sauce, LMWM mozzarella, and a few store brand pepperoni slices.

I took the dough out for a three hour warm up before making the skin and baking. I still had life left in it as it did rise a decent amount, though it was near becoming a very slack dough. I had no problems opening it, and put it on my 12 inch Lloyd screen, then into a preheated oven at 500F, with a stone on the bottom rack. After three minutes, I slid the pie off the screen and directly onto the stone, I rotated it 180 around the five minute mark, then baked another four minutes and removed for nine minutes total bake time. The crust didnít have quite the spring as the others, but that was expected. It was still a good pie, with the flavor and bite to me the same as the two and three day CF dough that I had baked last week.

In my fridge, which is a well regulated cooling beast, my middle shelf always runs between 37-39F, which is where I store pizza dough. The bottom shelf ranges, 34-36F, and top shelf 38-41F. If the fridge isnít opened for a day or more, then the temp ranges drop one to two degrees F throughout.

So yes, the basic Lehmann pizzeria dough recipe can go a fairly long while and still present a good pie. Good to know for those cases where you need to make a lot of dough to use over a few days.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 08:14:25 PM by Papa T »
Instagram: lightfuzer

Everything sounds better in latin.
Omnis pizza 'est bonum.
Every pizza is good.

Making good pizza is not that hard, unless we choose to make it that way.

The best pizza you'll ever make for someone is making the one they ask for instead of making it the way we think it should be made.

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19161 on: September 22, 2021, 01:45:17 PM »
Today's offering: a 3 day fermented dough at 64% hydration. I did 3 sets of stretches and folds (my first time trying that technique with pizza dough) with intermittent changes in fermentation temp, starting cold and finishing near room temp not long before baking. I can't say for sure that the stretches and folds really did anything, but I'm definitely happy with the crust and the pizza. Another first: a cheese blend of LMPS mozz, muenster, and provolone, made by Primo Gusto, bought at my local GFS outlet store. I rarely ever buy pre-shredded cheese, and rarely in a 5 lb. bag like this one. It's actually cut in tiny cubes, another first for me. Topped with spinach, sausage, and roasted red peppers- my favorite combo. Finished with Calabrian oregano, my newest addictive pizza accoutrement, and a little shaved 'American grana' from Belgioioso. The cheese element was nothing too exceptional, but when the crust comes out so well, it's all good. I used one of two dough balls today in my indoors oven, on the stone at 550 degrees F, for 7 minutes. I plan on using the other one Saturday in my Ooni Pro with some wood and anthracite, and we'll see how the dough develops more between now and then.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:09:46 PM by RHawthorne »
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19162 on: September 22, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
Great stuff, Randy. That 3rd pic looks perfect to me.
-Tony

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19163 on: September 22, 2021, 08:11:04 PM »
Great stuff, Randy. That 3rd pic looks perfect to me.
Thanks a lot. I seem to have discovered a new workable hydration level that's giving me nice aeration and a nicely balanced chew. I was working at the 58% to 59% hydration level for quite a while, but I've felt like experimenting lately, and I'm happy with the results.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:22:25 AM by RHawthorne »
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline OhioGuy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19164 on: September 23, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »
about my 10th round of pies in Ooni Fyra.
Standard Ooni neopolitan dough- CF for 2 days
Costco san marzano tomatoes pureed
Calabrain dry oregano to finish

shaved onion and peperoni
oil cured peppers, bacon and banana peppers

Offline OhioGuy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19165 on: September 23, 2021, 01:02:05 PM »
2nd pie

Online Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19166 on: September 23, 2021, 06:46:08 PM »
Iíve been struggling with my pizzas shrinking.  I got some advice from Pete (Pete-Zza) to open the skin a bit larger to account for the shrinkage Ive been getting. I got a 16 inch screen since I only have a 14 inch peel. I opened the skin to just under 16 inches, baked it at 550F for 4 minutes to set the crust then removed the screen and continued to cook the pizza on the stone. I t came out at exactly 14 inches. Hereís the results. Iím still getting a pale crust so I may try the addition of a 60į lintner LDMP at .5%.
I started out with nothing. I have most of it left.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #19167 on: September 23, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »
Iíve been struggling with my pizzas shrinking.  I got some advice from Pete (Pete-Zza) to open the skin a bit larger to account for the shrinkage Ive been getting. I got a 16 inch screen since I only have a 14 inch peel. I opened the skin to just under 16 inches, baked it at 550F for 4 minutes to set the crust then removed the screen and continued to cook the pizza on the stone. I t came out at exactly 14 inches. Hereís the results. Iím still getting a pale crust so I may try the addition of a 60į lintner LDMP at .5%.

Bottom looks great, so likely not a problem with the dough. My guess (for what it is worth) - try moving the steel (or stone) up a bit in the oven and use much less flour on the top of the skin (since the top will not stick anyway). Flour that has not fully hydrated can sometimes cause that pale look. Bet it tasted great and nice work!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #19168 on: September 23, 2021, 07:07:31 PM »
about my 10th round of pies in Ooni Fyra.
Standard Ooni neopolitan dough- CF for 2 days
Costco san marzano tomatoes pureed
Calabrain dry oregano to finish

shaved onion and peperoni
oil cured peppers, bacon and banana peppers

Can you tell me what pepperoni you used - it looks really good!!!
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG and PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19169 on: September 23, 2021, 07:08:02 PM »
Mine shrink to, but my weight keeps growing!!!😉😊
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Online Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19170 on: September 23, 2021, 07:14:55 PM »
Mine shrink to, but my weight keeps growing!!!😉😊

:-D

Online Bbqguy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19171 on: September 23, 2021, 07:16:03 PM »
Bottom looks great, so likely not a problem with the dough. My guess (for what it is worth) - try moving the steel (or stone) up a bit in the oven and use much less flour on the top of the skin (since the top will not stick anyway). Flour that has not fully hydrated can sometimes cause that pale look. Bet it tasted great and nice work!

Thank you. That makes sense. I never thought of that. Iíll have to give it a try.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19172 on: September 23, 2021, 07:35:04 PM »
I stretch to 21" for a 20" pie.
John

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #19173 on: September 23, 2021, 08:57:45 PM »
Bar Style cracker thinÖ.
Bob

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19174 on: September 23, 2021, 09:07:32 PM »
I missed National Pepperoni Pizza Day, but it's never too late! And dessert too, Opera Torte.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #19175 on: September 23, 2021, 09:15:11 PM »
I missed National Pepperoni Pizza Day, but it's never too late! And dessert too, Opera Torte.

LOVE that one buddy!!!🍕🍕🍕
Bob

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19176 on: September 23, 2021, 09:17:24 PM »

LOVE that one buddy!!!

Thanks Bob, yours looks really good too!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:15:18 PM by HansB »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19177 on: September 23, 2021, 09:40:01 PM »
You, sir. Are officially. Killing us.
Wow!! Beautiful, Hans!!!

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19178 on: September 23, 2021, 09:53:59 PM »
As always, this thread is awesome! Great pies guys!!!!
Jon

ďThe two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.Ē-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #19179 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:41 PM »
You, sir. Are officially. Killing us.
Wow!! Beautiful, Hans!!!

Thanks Bill!  ;D
Instagram @hans_michigan

wordpress