A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Craig's Johnny's Clone  (Read 56404 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: Craig's Johnny's Clone
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 12:03:51 PM »
Great looking pizza, Craig.  Thanks for posting it. 

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 12:43:55 PM »
wow, looks great Craig
Deb

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »
Craig, do you think you would have gotten better results without rolling it or do you think it's part and parcel for this particular clone?  I ask because early on in my pizza making I used to use a pastry roller to get the dough super-thin.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 05:07:16 PM »
You would definitely get different results. Not rolling the dough may or may not make a better pie, but in either case, it wouldn't be a Johnny's clone. It's part and parcel.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
Great looking pizza!  I will have to try this one

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Really nice looking clone--very hard to tell the two apart.  How did you decide how much preferment to use?
Josh

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
I have never heard of or eaten a Johnny's pizza, but I would call that a tomato pie and eat the whole damn thing.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 11:31:03 PM »
Really nice looking clone--very hard to tell the two apart.  How did you decide how much preferment to use?

I went with Mmmph's ratio. It looked reasonable, and I couldn't think of any reason to do anything differently for a first attempt.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline CaptBob

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 01:01:22 AM »
Amazing Craig........
Bob

Offline quixoteQ

• Give me Shackleton Every Time
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 07:29:58 AM »
I went with Mmmph's ratio. It looked reasonable, and I couldn't think of any reason to do anything differently for a first attempt.

Thanks!
Josh

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
The fact that you cook your Johnny's clone in your convection oven (when you have a WFO) sorta reinforces what I've been thinking about in terms of using different ovens for different pies.  I was wondering when I got my BS if I'd just use it for everything, but it seems NYs should really be done in the regular oven and NPs in the higher heat ovens. 

I know its a bit of a "duh," but just thinking out loud.  :)

Jeff

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
It depends on the WFO... I built a Pompeii oven that's very comfortable doing NY-style at ~700 (and the door is 20" wide :)) but it's hard to keep the temp high enough for NP.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
The fact that you cook your Johnny's clone in your convection oven (when you have a WFO) sorta reinforces what I've been thinking about in terms of using different ovens for different pies.  I was wondering when I got my BS if I'd just use it for everything, but it seems NYs should really be done in the regular oven and NPs in the higher heat ovens. 

I know its a bit of a "duh," but just thinking out loud.  :)
Jeff, never say never....you have seen Norma`s NY pizzas done on BS, right?   :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jvp123

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
Jeff, never say never....you have seen Norma`s NY pizzas done on BS, right?   :chef:

I must have seen Norma's BS pies - I just don't recall them specifically - the posts become a bit of a blur after a while.  :)

And, I know what you mean about "never say never" -- It just seems many good looking NYs, ala Scott's previous debate (not every single one obviously), seem to be prepared in a conventional oven at 500-550F.  I'll still experiment with making them in my BS for fun and to see if I can get good results there.  Hey maybe I'll end up preferring it for both NY and NP.

I guess my disaster last night with the burnt bottom sorta scarred me on it but its deserves more tries than that one.  :)
Jeff

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
On the BS I do NY around 620 or so....I`ve had it dialed waaay back for 25 min Chicago DD and my 12min. cutter pan Chi-thins. You just need a light hand on the jet blast dial and patience...let it stabilize 10 [email protected] your target temp, tweak it during that time with the IR gun and you will see that you can get the BS to hold pretty steady at just about any temp you need/want.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 10:01:17 PM »
Craig, your clone looks....well like a clone of the real thing.  Great job!  :drool:

Offline jvp123

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »
On the BS I do NY around 620 or so....I`ve had it dialed waaay back for 25 min Chicago DD and my 12min. cutter pan Chi-thins. You just need a light hand on the jet blast dial and patience...let it stabilize 10 [email protected] your target temp, tweak it during that time with the IR gun and you will see that you can get the BS to hold pretty steady at just about any temp you need/want.

Gotcha - I just figured the benefit of it was the high heat.  Do you prefer it to your conventional oven when you are dialing it back for lower temp bakes?  Does it provide a benefit that your home oven does not?   (Other than heating up your house in the summer.  :-D)
Jeff

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »
Craig, your clone looks....well like a clone of the real thing.  Great job!  :drool:

Thanks, Chau!

Offline pdog

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 04:34:24 PM »
Great job Craig.  Amazing pie - especially on a first attempt.  My clone attempts somehow took on a life of their own and got completely off track.  You have inspired me to get back into the experiment phase again. 

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 02:33:45 AM »
I've been to the actual place and this is the closest I've ever seen to it. This pizza is a hybrid of the original NY coal oven style and gas oven pizza, MUCH better than the usual corner slice orange blanket type. I dare say the real thing might be slightly thinner and a little less bendy than yours. There is black pepper on the pizza, either in the sauce, thrown on separate, or it's mixed in with the oregano, don't recall. The cheese was more buttery Polly-O than salty Grande tasting IIRC and I saw no shredded mozzarella used, only sliced. The oil would also not be EVOO but more like a canola or pure olive oil, or a mix of both. It went on before the pie hit the oven at around 600 degrees. I didn't see you mention parmesan, as they definitely sprinkle some on their pizzas. Fantastic job!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:18:10 AM by CIZ28 »
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."