A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Craig's Johnny's Clone  (Read 56146 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Craig's Johnny's Clone
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
Unfortunately in CA we don't have access to AT bromated. Has any one tried both bromated and non bromated and speak on the difference in flavor?  Is there anything that can be added to non bromated in order to duplicate the flavor of bromated?  Thanks!

The bromate doesn't do anything for the flavor - just speeds up gluten development.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #361 on: April 21, 2021, 04:28:40 PM »
The bromate doesn't do anything for the flavor - just speeds up gluten development.

What Craig said.

A place here in Denver always has AT (50 lb sacks) with no bromate, but one time they had the bromated stuff so I bought some. No taste difference but seemed to mix up more readily. For the High Gluten stuff, I usually use KYROL (sp?) because I can get it at Costco in 25 lb sacks. I'm probably not as persinckey as I should be. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:33:21 PM by parallei »

Online vincentoc13

« Reply #362 on: April 21, 2021, 07:11:06 PM »
Thanks for the info gentlemen! That's good to know, if I buy AT, I know I won't be missing  out on any flavor.  Now the question is how am I going to store 50lbs of flour at a rate of making 6 pizzas a week  ;D

Online vincentoc13

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #365 on: April 22, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »
Now the question is how am I going to store 50lbs of flour at a rate of making 6 pizzas a week  ;D
Here is another option for you  -->    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00186O0MO/?tag=pmak-20
Will hold a 55lb bag Caputo 00 and is on wheels. I believe it's the 47qt one I use.
It is sold as a Pet food container but is BPA free and the manufacturer (IRIS) told me it is food safe. Which makes sense, as it would have to be safe for pets as well.
I use three of them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:20:31 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline Pie Charles

« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2021, 10:07:40 PM »
Here's my first attempt on this. Thought it was really good. nice crisp bottom and crust and still airy/light.

Preferment
Flour 40% 120 grams
Water 40% 72 grams
IDY 100% 0.17 grams

Total Formula:
KABF   300 grams
Water  60%
IDY      0.058%
Salt      2.5%
Oil        2.0%

Made the preferment, let rest at RT for 12 hours

Used Kitchen Aid mixer. then cold ferment in wine fridge for 48 hours (about 50F)

baked on baking steel at 550F for about 6mins 30 seconds in top third of oven.

would appreciate any comments, suggestions. Thanks

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #367 on: May 12, 2021, 06:31:33 PM »
Thanks for the info gentlemen! That's good to know, if I buy AT, I know I won't be missing  out on any flavor.  Now the question is how am I going to store 50lbs of flour at a rate of making 6 pizzas a week  ;D

Easy, when you get your 50# bag take a large Heafty Trash Bag and put the unopened bag of flour down in it.  Then cut open the top of the bag of flour so you can use it and after each use fold the top of the bag of flour over and then twist the top of the Heafty trash bag shut and put a strong twist tie around it.  I go through a 50# bag of flour in about a year and have never had any problem with the flour stored this way for that duration of time.     

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #368 on: May 12, 2021, 07:27:38 PM »
vincento13,

I recently did a forum search on flour storage. You can read what I found at Reply 40 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=68651.msg669614#msg669614

Peter

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #369 on: May 13, 2021, 09:40:59 AM »
vincento13,

I recently did a forum search on flour storage. You can read what I found at Reply 40 at:

Peter

Thanks for the Link(s) Peter.
I have always been doing 3 days in the freezer to kill critters (don't recall where I read that), but Tom said it should be 30 days.
Glad now that I had bought a 2nd freezer to separate baking stuff from meats and such.
Have a dedicated shelf now for flour.  ;D
Fortunately, haven't had any problems.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 11:10:28 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Online vincentoc13

« Reply #370 on: May 13, 2021, 11:03:40 AM »
vincento13,

Peter
  Man, search skills are a beautiful thing!!  Thank you Peter, great read and very informative.

Vince.

Offline rp0806

« Reply #371 on: May 24, 2021, 04:14:49 PM »
I went to Johnny's for the first time this weekend. It was honestly some of the best pizza I've ever had. It's a little hard to pinpoint what exactly makes it so great, but the incredible crispiness plays a big role. You can hold a slice from the crust and it won't bend or droop at all. And yet the dough isn't dry or crackery. The sauce and cheese are also really good, but the whole is certainly greater than the sum of the parts.