A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Have you had this cheese melt?  (Read 69056 times)

Offline Josh123

Re: Have you had this cheese melt?
« Reply #460 on: July 13, 2017, 12:40:19 AM »
Just got this new home oven, guys. Waddaya think?

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #461 on: July 13, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »

Looks nice,  but you can't make NY Pizza in a home oven.
John

Offline Josh123

« Reply #462 on: July 13, 2017, 04:53:30 PM »
Looks nice,  but you can't make NY Pizza in a home oven.

DAMN IT.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #463 on: July 13, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
Well Mike, if you'd open your shop here in Denver instead of the Bay Area, I could maybe try a deck oven?  Denver needs your shop!

Move to the Bay Area.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #464 on: July 13, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »
How's that coming, Mike? Any projected dates yet?

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #465 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »

That's awesome!

Now you can reverse-engineer DiFara pies!

Let us know how that turns out.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=504.msg484026#msg484026
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

HarryHaller73

« Reply #466 on: July 14, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
Some practical deck ovens are the Bakers pride GP-61 which fits on a table, size about the same as a decent backyard propane grill and can be had for around $1500 used, or a smaller counter top P22 at $600-$800 used.

The GP-61 can be easily modded to propane if you can't find a propane one, add legs, wheels, store in garage when not in use.  The P22 runs off 220v electric will fit in a kitchen countertop.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:40:41 AM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Josh123

« Reply #467 on: July 14, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »
That's awesome!

Now you can reverse-engineer DiFara pies!

Let us know how that turns out.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=504.msg484026#msg484026

i got my own pies to engineer!!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #468 on: July 14, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »
Some practical deck ovens are the Bakers pride GP-61 which fits on a table, size about the same as a decent backyard propane grill and can be had for around $1500 used, or a smaller counter top P22 at $600-$800 used.

The GP-61 can be easily modded to propane if you can't find a propane one, add legs, wheels, store in garage when not in use.  The P22 runs off 220v electric will fit in a kitchen countertop.

Any idea how good the small countertop oven is? I assume it's not as good as a full size? It'd be easier to take the plunge if I could test it out for a few bakes first. Don't see that happening though.

I saw a double stacked bakers pride countertop in a bowling alley a couple weeks ago. I made sure to show it to my wife, just to plant the seed in case I do end up wanting to go that route.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:36:02 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #469 on: July 14, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
Move to the Bay Area.

I was born in S.F., and raised in San Mateo and Berkeley.  Left when I was 18 yrs old and that was 40 years + ago.   A few years in Germany courtesy of the U.S Army, then in Denver ever since.  I wouldn't want to spend the money required to live in S.F. or Berkeley.  Nice standard of living out here.

Denver is booming now and may be getting a bit busy for me.  That said, the gentrifying/hipster parts of Denver have got to be less expensive than S.F. and the greater B.A. - your pizza joint would fit in!

You pies look great.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #470 on: July 14, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
Any idea how good the small countertop oven is? I assume it's not as good as a full size? It'd be easier to take the plunge if I could test it out for a few bakes first. Don't see that happening though.

I saw a double stacked bakers pride countertop in a bowling alley a couple weeks ago. I made sure to show it to my wife, just to plant the seed in case I do end up wanting to go that route.

I have a friend of mine has one at home and he's very happy with it. It's a single not a double. The only thing that he dislikes is the fact that you can't watch the pies bake since there's no window in the door.

Tony Gemignani uses the same oven in several of his slice shops to reheat slices.
Mike

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #471 on: July 14, 2017, 10:21:41 PM »
I was born in S.F., and raised in San Mateo and Berkeley.  Left when I was 18 yrs old and that was 40 years + ago.   A few years in Germany courtesy of the U.S Army, then in Denver ever since.  I wouldn't want to spend the money required to live in S.F. or Berkeley.  Nice standard of living out here.

Denver is booming now and may be getting a bit busy for me.  That said, the gentrifying/hipster parts of Denver have got to be less expensive than S.F. and the greater B.A. - your pizza joint would fit in!

You pies look great.

SF has gotten out of hand, rent-wise. I moved out in early 2000 and never looked back. Lived in Belmont for about 10 years then moved to Marin and been here ever since. With all due respect to the Hipster scene...it's not my cup of tea.

Go check out Jeff "Smoke" Smokevitch's "Blue Pan" joint in Denver. Great guy and awesome pizzas. He's got another one in Telluride.
Mike

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #472 on: July 14, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
With all due respect to the Hipster scene...it's not my cup of tea.

Mine neither, but the artisanal food thing is running amok in the north part of Denver.  Mostly over-priced silliness, but people are sure making some $$'s.

Go check out Jeff "Smoke" Smokevitch's "Blue Pan" joint in Denver. Great guy and awesome pizzas. He's got another one in Telluride.

Been there a few times, once with a fellow forum member.  Good Detroit style.  It is one of the two joints in Denver I'll pay for pizza.  I was surprised to see stack upon stack of par-baked Detroits in their pans.  Made me feel not so bad about par-baking mine.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:42:04 PM by parallei »

HarryHaller73

« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:40 PM »

Get the GP61.  Convince your wife that you'll save alot of money not doing as many experiments in all that cheese and sauce and it'll pay for itself that way.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #474 on: July 15, 2017, 06:03:47 AM »
Get the GP61.  Convince your wife that you'll save alot of money not doing as many experiments in all that cheese and sauce and it'll pay for itself that way.

Do you really think this will cut down on my experiments? I have measuring spoons as small as 1/32 of a tsp  ;)

But seriously, my concern is less about the money (or my wife) and more about the practicality of using it. Garage is really not a great option for me. Deck maybe would be a little better spacewise, but that's outdoors.

I've said this once before, I also don't think I've reached my ceiling with the ovens I have. My dough and dough handling, for example, are mediocre (we have high standards). An oven won't fix that. And a short time ago I was way off in my ingredients and in the ratios of them. I'm closer now, but can still do better. If I reach my max and still want more, then I'd think about it more seriously.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:08:07 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #475 on: July 15, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
Some practical deck ovens are the Bakers pride GP-61 which fits on a table, size about the same as a decent backyard propane grill and can be had for around $1500 used.

The GP-61 can be easily modded to propane if you can't find a propane one, add legs, wheels, store in garage when not in use.

HarryHaller73,

As you and other members probably know the Baker's Pride GP-61 is the deck oven that is at market.  Only drawback I see with it is the top deck doesn't get as hot as the bottom deck.  Lifting partly baked pies from the top deck to the bottom deck isn't too much fun, but they then bake better that way.

Norma

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #476 on: July 15, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
Except we've all had bad pizza from deck ovens too though, yeah? I certainly think it's an advantageous design compared to our home ovens, but I'm not quite convinced it's some magic bullet. If that were the case, I'd just go to one of the local deck oven pizza places.

Still seems to me like great ingredients are most important.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »
Well I just made my best 2 pies ever  :D  I increased the mozz again, now to 8.5oz for 14'', TF = 0.085. Blackstone flame lowered further, regulator down 1.5 turns.

To go with the increased mozz, I increased seasoning on top of the sauce. The sauce itself was my usual, which includes 1/2 tsp Sicilian oregano, 2 tsp oil, and small amounts of garlic, pepper and sugar. On top of the sauce I put 1.5 tsp Parm Reggiano, 3-3.5 tsp Pecorino Romano and an additional 1/4 tsp of oregano.

Matt

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »
Well I just made my best 2 pies ever  :D  I increased the mozz again, now to 8.5oz for 14'', TF = 0.085. Blackstone flame lowered further, regulator down 1.5 turns.

To go with the increased mozz, I increased seasoning on top of the sauce. The sauce itself was my usual, which includes 1/2 tsp Sicilian oregano, 2 tsp oil, and small amounts of garlic, pepper and sugar. On top of the sauce I put 1.5 tsp Parm Reggiano, 3-3.5 tsp Pecorino Romano and an additional 1/4 tsp of oregano.

Congrats.

That's a very good melt. What brand of mozzarella did you use?
Mike

HarryHaller73

« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
Except we've all had bad pizza from deck ovens too though, yeah? I certainly think it's an advantageous design compared to our home ovens, but I'm not quite convinced it's some magic bullet. If that were the case, I'd just go to one of the local deck oven pizza places.

Still seems to me like great ingredients are most important.

While I agree that there are plenty of bad deck oven NY style pizzas ie everywhere in Los Angeles, great NY slice comes from a deck oven done right.  You have to understand that dough cooks differently in a deck, along with the cheese and sauce.   As does the NY bagel in a deck or fish oven.  And NY pizza and bagels are NOT bread.. it's a product of a deck oven, where with the proper workflow and the infrared rays penetrates dough and cooks through, zaps more steam out and gets you it's unique chewy texture.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:19:02 PM by HarryHaller73 »

wordpress