A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: pizza doughnut  (Read 12863 times)

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
pizza doughnut
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:19:12 AM »
One of our customers left this. We thought it creative and got a picture of it and her.  Walter
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

HarryHaller73

Re: pizza doughnut
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »
One of our customers left this. We thought it creative and got a picture of it and her.  Walter

Most crusts never get eaten. 

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 02:04:00 AM »

Ours are rarely not eaten.  Most every customer tells us our crust is the best they have had and never knew crust could be so good and be a highlight of the pizza. We got a little worried but she never eats crust.  Walter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
Walter,

I know you don't have to do anything to your pizzas to get your patrons to eat the crusts, but several years ago I read something by Big Dave Ostrander, who was a pizza operator later turned consultant (and a friend of Tom Lehmann), who discussed the problem of getting his customers to eat the crusts. Here is an excerpt that discusses his solution:

At Big Dave's we brushed on melted butter to the crust as it came out of the oven. This shined the crust and gave it a 'just baked buttery flavor'. Since 28% of my gross sales was buffet I wanted to have customers eat all of the crust (carbs) and less protein (cheese-toppings). Many times we would have a customer eat 5-6 slices and leave 5-6 'bones' (uneaten crust) on their plates. I did scientific study??? by dumping the dining room garbage cans in a plastic kiddie pool near the dumpster and counting the 'Bones'. Before we started buttering the crust the bones, we had alot of bones. After we started buttering, the bones were very scarce.

Peter

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 11:05:45 AM »
Walter,

I know you don't have to do anything to your pizzas to get your patrons to eat the crusts, but several years ago I read something by Big Dave Ostrander, who was a pizza operator later turned consultant (and a friend of Tom Lehmann), who discussed the problem of getting his customers to eat the crusts. Here is an excerpt that discusses his solution:

At Big Dave's we brushed on melted butter to the crust as it came out of the oven. This shined the crust and gave it a 'just baked buttery flavor'. Since 28% of my gross sales was buffet I wanted to have customers eat all of the crust (carbs) and less protein (cheese-toppings). Many times we would have a customer eat 5-6 slices and leave 5-6 'bones' (uneaten crust) on their plates. I did scientific study??? by dumping the dining room garbage cans in a plastic kiddie pool near the dumpster and counting the 'Bones'. Before we started buttering the crust the bones, we had alot of bones. After we started buttering, the bones were very scarce.

Peter

Thanks for that info Peter.  To me this is an example of how pizza in America has been continually dumbing down for profit over quality.  It is a lot easier to make a low quality crust and then do this or dip it in ranch dressing.  It reminds me of Italian restaurants that have terrible bread but offer really nice butter to ease the pain and soon everyone eats the bread :)   I would say for every 1,000 slices eaten in our shop about 5 are left with the rim.  It is so rare it shocks us like that girl did last night.  Walter

Offline waynesize

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 01:54:00 PM »
I am proud to say that my pizzas get fully consumed. Even my young daughters eat the "bones". ;D

Wayne

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 05:40:14 PM »
It's not always a quality issue, you can have the best crust on earth and then destroy it during baking leaving you with a lot of effort and nothing to show for it. Additionally, the Untied States is a country where bread is not traditionally eaten as "bread" anymore, it is consumed as part of a sandwich (keeps the fingers from getting messy) like a hamburger, hot dog, ham and cheese, etc. When you do see bread being eaten it is essentially always with butter or margarine. Do you see the pattern? Pizza crust is just another piece of bread to many folks, especially young people, since they are not used to eating bread just as it is they want something to put on it, be it ranch dressing, dipping oil, butter, or whatever. I think most kids would eat the crust more often if you gave them a side of peanut butter to dip it in! This is one reason why the "cheese-in-the-crust" concept did so well when it was first introduced....crust/bread and cheese = hmmmm, a cheese sandwich. Now we're seeing it being done using bacon where crust/bread and bacon = bacon sandwich, everything goes better with bacon!  :-D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hodgey1

• Pizza 🍕
    • My WFO project
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »
I'm internally a pizza Natzi  ::) I keep track of those who don't eat my crust and make mental notes and never invite them back :o thankfully, thats normally just children and I give them a pass ;D

In all seriousness, I believe the outer crust is the best part of a well made pie.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »
I'll Amen that! A great crust/edge, rim, whatever you want to call it is well worth eating, just like great bread. Too many times though I've seen it totally destroyed during baking. When I developed the Hearth Bake Disk I was very selfish and took this into account by putting a non-perforated area around the outer edge of the disk. The dimension of this non-perforated section varies with the disk diameter. It is designed to protect the edge of the crust from the high velocity airflow of the air impingement ovens (the disk is designed to work ONLY in air impingement ovens) thus reducing the amount of bake received by the outer edge/rim and preventing it from turning into a "pizza bone"during the baking process. By the way, I did not get paid, nor do I collect a royalty on any Hearth Bake Disks sold by Lloyd Pans. It was a design change to help owners of air impingement ovens produce pizzas closer to that which many of them used to make in their deck ovens but with the speed and convenience features of the air impingement oven.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 09:22:05 PM »
Jeez, in the GOD's if someone did that it would be considered an insult to the cook and a crime against nature.
Nowaday's you chalk it up to 1%ers and low-carb diets...

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
Jeez, in the GOD's if someone did that it would be considered an insult to the cook and a crime against nature.
Nowaday's you chalk it up to 1%ers and low-carb diets...

Where is the GOD's?  Everyone eats the crust there? ???
John

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »
Good Old Days   :-D
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Josh123

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 11:31:20 PM »
She must be from New York.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 03:39:46 AM »
Good Old Days   :-D

Thanks.  I even Googled it and came up with nothing.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »
My kids get mad if they catch me feeding crust pieces to the dogs.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 11:46:02 AM »

She must be from New York.

Given that there is so much NY pizza sold in NY that is bad, it would not be a shock to learn that many New Yorkers tossed a lot of the crust.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 12:08:39 PM »
I can attest to bad NY slices..ugh. But otherwise, for me, crust is king..SO when my rims are a little too big, oh well,  what a shame LOL :-D 

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2017, 12:54:27 PM »
Many of the crusts that are left at our place are from people that are diabetic.  They say they can't do without pizza but have to leave the crust or they will have to take an insulin shot - pretty hard core pizza lovers for sure!  Walter

Offline Josh123

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2017, 01:32:43 PM »
Given that there is so much NY pizza sold in NY that is bad, it would not be a shock to learn that many New Yorkers tossed a lot of the crust.

As opposed to the rest of American cities where you are lucky to find 3 pizza shops that aren't horrendous?

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 01:42:39 PM »
As opposed to the rest of American cities where you are lucky to find 3 pizza shops that aren't horrendous?

I have not counted.  But, no.

Simply a simple (Occam's Razor) connection between cause and effect for a discussion in the NY Style forum about NY Style pizza. 
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

wordpress