A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: pizza doughnut  (Read 12875 times)

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • # 1 RATED PIZZERIA IN USA ON YELP
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: pizza doughnut
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
I run a NY style shop and use screens for a few reasons -

I get better cheese melt. For me, whole milk mozzarella never releases its full flavor until it oils off orange. If you go on a hot deck, you can't always get a great cheese melt, especially if you're busy and losing a lot of heat in the oven.

I also make pies that are close to 20". I have a Blodgett 1000, which are more deep, but narrow. When its busy, it would be very hard to launch pies that size behind other ones. I also have cracks in my bricks which i havent fixed lol. Makes it hard to launch as well.

That said, I pull the pie off the screen after its about 30 percent baked, so the pie is still baked 70 percent on the deck. The difference in undercrust taste and texture is negligible and I get better cheese melt, plus, in Western Pennsylvania, not a lot of guys can launch thin crust pies that large off the peel, so when I have others launching pizza for me, its just easier to start on the screen, and move to the brick after 2 minutes or so.

Josh:  The 1000's are 37" deep.  We do 18" pies and they handle 4 per oven with a 12"/or calzone in the center of the 4.  No need for screens for the bake if you have them running right. I am the only person who runs the ovens.  Also no need to rotate the pies thus very little heat loss if you manage them right.  Frank Mastro designed these ovens to perfection but many have been modified over the years, gas volume from the street is not right, and/or internal parts are not working right.  These things greatly affect the bake.  My ovens are original and Norma, Ellie Olson (wood fired oven bakers) are a couple world class pizza makers that have baked on our ovens and can confirm this. Walter

PS: Here is a brochure for the ovens you might enjoy.  http://www.blodgett.com/_literature/Spec%20Sheets/Deck/1000-spec.pdf
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:22:52 PM by waltertore »
SMILING WITH HOPE PIZZA MISSION STATEMENT
TO CREATE HOPE AND MEANING IN THE LIVES OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES
http://www.smilingwithhopepizza.com/

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
Walter, from everything I have read from you and about you, and about your pizza, I can bet with confidence that your customer was not sugar-coating things.

I loved the part about deciding whether or not to save a couple slices for the teenage son.  :-[

I have you and Norma's on a very short list If I ever get to the point enough to travel big distances again. Especially to try that sausage.

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »
Walter, from everything I have read from you and about you, and about your pizza, I can bet with confidence that your customer was not sugar-coating things.

I loved the part about deciding whether or not to save a couple slices for the teenage son.  :-[

I have you and Norma's on a very short list If I ever get to the point enough to travel big distances again. Especially to try that sausage.

Thanks.  That review summarized what people regularly say to us after eating in the shop or call on the phone to tell us how much they like the pies they took home on carry out.  That is very moving.  We have  had one complaint to date and that was on Yelp because we don't have parm/romano cheese shakers on the tables and don't give any out as it is built in the pies.  Norma's pizza is worth a trip and hopefully she will be back to it.  If you make it Reno I look forward to meeting you.  Walter
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 03:56:58 PM by waltertore »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2017, 10:07:32 AM »
Also no need to rotate the pies thus very little heat loss if you manage them right.  Frank Mastro designed these ovens to perfection but many have been modified over the years, gas volume from the street is not right, and/or internal parts are not working right.  These things greatly affect the bake.  My ovens are original and Norma, Ellie Olson (wood fired oven bakers) are a couple world class pizza makers that have baked on our ovens and can confirm this. Walter

Walter,

Yes, I can confirm that your Blodgett 1000's sure does bake well and evenly without rotating.  ;D 8) I still dream of having one Blodgett 1000's.  As you know I recently looked at one, but with your advice decided not to try and purchase it.  At less than $500.00 it sure sounded like a good bargain.   :-D

https://www.pciauctions.com/archive_item_detail.php?item=464843 

My Baker's Pride Counter Top oven bakes okay.  I think that might be because it is well insulated and also has low head space.  The pizzas mostly need rotated though.  If only one pie at a time is put pie is put in the oven and the doors aren't opened and shut a lot the oven can baked pretty well without rotating.

Norma

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2017, 10:13:32 AM »
Yes, I can confirm that your Blodgett 1000's sure does bake well and evenly without rotating.  ;D 8) I still dream of having one Blodgett 1000's.  As you know I recently looked at one, but with your advice decided not to try and purchase it.  At less than $500.00 it sure sounded like a good bargain.   :-D

If I lived closer to Manheim, PA, my wife would be really upset with me. Glad you're back home and on the mend!
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

HarryHaller73

« Reply #105 on: March 13, 2017, 10:16:16 AM »
Walter,

My Baker's Pride Counter Top oven bakes okay.  I think that might be because it is well insulated and also has low head space.  The pizzas mostly need rotated though.  If only one pie at a time is put pie is put in the oven and the doors aren't opened and shut a lot the oven can baked pretty well without rotating.

Norma

The Blodgett 1000 is a classic, no doubt.

IMO, the best Bakers Pride oven ever made were the 70's era double stack DS805's and also require no pie turning.  Generally speaking, the smaller the oven cavity, the more efficient the bake and the older ones had better construction.  No coincidence the best slices joints still use these.   Di Fara also uses old ds805.

The larger y600/y800's require more turning, but you get more pie output as they are much larger.  Often used in places in NYC which sell 400+ pies a day.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 12:25:23 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #106 on: March 13, 2017, 11:55:52 AM »
The Blodgett 1000 is a classic, no doubt.

IMO, the best Bakers Pride oven ever made were the 70's era double stack DS805's and also require no pie turning.  Generally speaking, the smaller the oven cavity, the more efficient the bake and the older ones had better construction.  No coincidence the best slices joints still use these.   Di Fara also uses old 452's.

The larger y600/y800's require more turning, but you get more pie output as they are much larger.  Often used in places in NYC which sell 400+ pies a day.

How many decks are needed to put out 400 pies a day?
Two? Four?
the proof is in the pizza

HarryHaller73

« Reply #107 on: March 13, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »
How many decks are needed to put out 400 pies a day?
Two? Four?

one double stack y800 can do 300-400 pies a day easy if pie volume is spread out evenly throughout day.  Realistically, need 2 because lunch and dinner service gets overloaded and some company, construction crew, or event will randomly order 20+ pies.

But if you have a larger space, I'd rather go with three or four smaller ds805's like NY Suprema which does 400-500 pies a day.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:11:08 PM by HarryHaller73 »

Offline Josh123

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
Josh:  The 1000's are 37" deep.  We do 18" pies and they handle 4 per oven with a 12"/or calzone in the center of the 4.  No need for screens for the bake if you have them running right. I am the only person who runs the ovens.  Also no need to rotate the pies thus very little heat loss if you manage them right.  Frank Mastro designed these ovens to perfection but many have been modified over the years, gas volume from the street is not right, and/or internal parts are not working right.  These things greatly affect the bake.  My ovens are original and Norma, Ellie Olson (wood fired oven bakers) are a couple world class pizza makers that have baked on our ovens and can confirm this. Walter

PS: Here is a brochure for the ovens you might enjoy.  http://www.blodgett.com/_literature/Spec%20Sheets/Deck/1000-spec.pdf

As I said, I have pies closer to 20" and multiple people launching the pies. Not to mention screens allow for me to get a better cheese melt.

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2017, 01:31:48 AM »
Walter,

Norma

You will find one Norma and waiting for one that is original and in good shape will be well worth it :)  Most every one I have seen over the past 15 years is a mess of 1/2 as# cheap modifications and the stones are not the right ones.  I love working on these ovens and feel I know them like a lifetime friend.  Ellie and I looked at a couple a few months ago.  They were in a running pizzeria that just closed and it would have taken a couple thousand dollars to get them running right.  It was so 1/2 ass#d rigged that one oven was leaking gas the whole time it was running and could have blown up!  The guy wanted top dollar for them so we passed.  Walter
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 01:33:45 AM by waltertore »

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2017, 06:36:14 AM »
You will find one Norma and waiting for one that is original and in good shape will be well worth it :)  Most every one I have seen over the past 15 years is a mess of 1/2 as# cheap modifications and the stones are not the right ones.  I love working on these ovens and feel I know them like a lifetime friend.  Ellie and I looked at a couple a few months ago.  They were in a running pizzeria that just closed and it would have taken a couple thousand dollars to get them running right.  It was so 1/2 ass#d rigged that one oven was leaking gas the whole time it was running and could have blown up!  The guy wanted top dollar for them so we passed.  Walter
Walter, I'm a stone junkie. Is there any information that you can point me to as far as the stones that go in these?

Roy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »

Walter,

Hopefully I will find one waiting that is in original and good shape.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
Walter, I'm a stone junkie. Is there any information that you can point me to as far as the stones that go in these?

Roy

Roy,

You can read some about the Blodgett stones at Reply 1 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43132.msg431714#msg431714

Norma

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2017, 09:39:09 AM »
Roy,

You can read some about the Blodgett stones at Reply 1 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=43132.msg431714#msg431714

Norma
Thanks very much, Norma. Scott's score looks nice, but that's a hefty bit there.  :o   

I will chase the Fibrament-D path a bit more.

Roy

(fwiw, I'm trying to find something about 1" thick to use instead of my 1-1/4" fire-bricks (the heavier) density ones so that I can move from rack slot to rack slot in my oven. I have to brace the rack they are on right now to keep center-sag to a minimum. Thought is one solid piece would remain flat no matter what the rack does. )

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »

Roy

Roy:  The stones are notched where they fit together (2 stones per oven) and they have the Blodgett stamp on them.  Finding one without an oven would probably be harder than winning the lottery.   Fortunately I "won" in that I found a pizzeria in PA that donated 3 stones to me.  I had to have them shipped which cost a lot.  Here is how they came.  Walter

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
Walter,

Why did they stop making the 1000 and the good stones? Too expensive?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
Walter,

Why did they stop making the 1000 and the good stones? Too expensive?

Craig: They only hold 4 -18" pies and the newer deck ovens hold 6.  Frank Mastro designed the smaller door on the 1000's/older bakers prides to hold the heat but they take getting use to with launching pies (ask Norma :) ).  The new deck doors open the entire width of the oven making launching easier and heat loss increases a lot.  I have used the new Blodgett and Bakers Pride ovens and they stink.  You have to rotate the pies where in my ovens you don't.  This saves a person in the work flow and our shop is so tight that there is no room for an oven tender and me.  Walter

Offline rparker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
Walter, thanks for the pictures.

Craig, I might have to settle for some metal works folks creating something along the lines of your MOABS support system. The big challenge is holding 8 pieces of brick in place while maintaining a level surface that a strong 1-inch, 1-piece stone would provide. Perhaps I will have to re-settle on that kiln shelf.

Roy

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2017, 03:56:14 PM »
Frank Mastro designed the smaller door on the 1000's/older bakers prides to hold the heat but they take getting use to with launching pies (ask Norma :) ). Walter

Walter,

I agree your Blodgett takes some getting used to because of place the peel can get stuck.  I found that out pretty fast.   :-D :-[

I wonder if I got one of those asbestos-containing transite stones from that one oven (at the other stand at market) how it would bake.

Norma

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2017, 01:39:25 AM »
Walter, thanks for the pictures.

Craig, I might have to settle for some metal works folks creating something along the lines of your MOABS support system. The big challenge is holding 8 pieces of brick in place while maintaining a level surface that a strong 1-inch, 1-piece stone would provide. Perhaps I will have to re-settle on that kiln shelf.

Roy

You are welcome and good luck on the journey :)   Walter

wordpress