A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Whole Peeled Tomatoes - Puree vs Juice packing?  (Read 942 times)

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
Whole Peeled Tomatoes - Puree vs Juice packing?
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:16:13 PM »
Does anybody else feel whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice retain their bright, fresh taste better? Been continually disappointed with puree packed WP tomatoes. 
the proof is in the pizza

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Whole Peeled Tomatoes - Puree vs Juice packing?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:44:01 PM »
The most flavorful part of the tomato is in the "velvet" which is located immediately under the skin, for this reason I only use unpeeled tomatoes for may sauce whenever possible as my default, but when I have the option I always elect to use fresh, ripe, whole tomatoes sliced  sliced about 3/16-inch thick and placed on the skin instead of a traditional sauce resulting in superb flavor and texture not to mention appearance. But that's just me.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Whole Peeled Tomatoes - Puree vs Juice packing?
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Does anybody else feel whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice retain their bright, fresh taste better? Been continually disappointed with puree packed WP tomatoes.
Yes and perhaps a little more snap or crisp to them. I donít know why but a couple of the types in juice Iíve tried from GFS have the sodium level knocked way up. So much so that I would hand crush a #10 can of pear shaped whole tomatoes, add the juice drom the can, make a sauce for pasts, add no salt, and still have the sauce come out more salty than I would like.
-Tony

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress