A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NY Style sauce discussion  (Read 52426 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: NY Style sauce discussion
« Reply #580 on: November 03, 2020, 12:22:55 PM »
the thing that takes me the longest and I like the least is pushing scalfani crushed through a mesh strainer with a wooden spoon to remove skin and seeds. Anyone have a solution to avoid this or a short cut? Perhaps purchasing another brand of tomatoes might help...
jeff

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #581 on: November 03, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
Idk if this helps anyone out but di fara uses a combo of canned and fresh tomatoes. The brand they use is vantia italian canned tomatoes.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #582 on: November 03, 2020, 02:29:31 PM »
the thing that takes me the longest and I like the least is pushing scalfani crushed through a mesh strainer with a wooden spoon to remove skin and seeds. Anyone have a solution to avoid this or a short cut? Perhaps purchasing another brand of tomatoes might help...
Could not live without it.     Wearever Strainer

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #583 on: November 03, 2020, 02:41:46 PM »

Wouldn't a food mill with the fine plate do the trick?

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #584 on: November 03, 2020, 06:25:46 PM »
Wouldn't a food mill with the fine plate do the trick?

As many home pizza makers have KA mixers, this attachment is absolutely fantastic.  This package sells both the meat grinder and the fruit and vegetable strainer set but if you already have the meat grinder you can just buy the fruit and vegetable set as an add-on that works with the meat grinder.  When I used to have huge harvests of tomatoes I'd take them all and cut them up and put them into a big cooking pot and bring them just to a boil so they were soft and just starting to fall apart.  Then I'd ladle them into the mill and all the pulp and juice comes out the bottom and all the skins and seeds get separated and pushed out the front.  It's like magic and so easy compared to the hand crank mills out there (one of which I had that was made in Italy but the acid from the tomatoes ended up eating it and rusting components away).   I'd run the discarded skins and seeds through a second time to make sure I got all the pulp and juice out of them and a good amount would come out on the 2nd pass.  Then put all the pulp and juice on the stove, and add your seasonings and then add tomato paste and keep adding it until you get the consistency you want and bring it to a boil for a few minutes.  Then pull it, add fresh basil, and sit the pot in a cold water bath in the kitchen sink filled with cold water.  Once cooled to the point you can handle it ladle it into Ziplock freezer bags, squeeze out the air, seal them and into the freezer they go.       

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SGFJ/?tag=pmak-20

Furthermore, having the meat grinder is cool so you can grind your own pork and make Italian Sausage spiced as little or as heavy and hot as you like.  Also, you can stay away from that lousy store bought ground beef and buy great cuts of chuck roast or round on sale that are way cheaper per lb. and grind it yourself to turn into 1/4lb burger patties that you can freeze and then use for everything.  The risk of contamination is also far less because you are grinding it yourself.  The taste and texture of homemade ground beef is also superior.  I personally only run mine through once as I like kind of a course grind instead of a double fine grind.  The course grind is more like a steak burger that hasn't been ground into nothingness.

Store bought ground beef can and does get bacteria and such in it from time to time that causes people to get sick as it grows and spreads in the inside which is why fast food chains all cook burgers to well done and all restaurants that offer the option of ordering rare / medium have a disclaimer on their menus that you could get sick.  Lots of people also don't know that the FDA removed the requirement that packaged ground beef had to state whether or not it contained "Pink Slime" technically called Finely Textured Beef.  It is now in most every form of ground beef you buy at the store.  Watch some videos on Youtube about how Finely Textured Beef is made and I guarantee you won't want to be eating it... Absolutely nasty, disgusting stuff that secretly gets added into almost all forms of common ground beef now.         
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:38:53 PM by Pizza Shark »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #585 on: November 03, 2020, 07:42:36 PM »
Anyone have a solution to avoid this or a short cut? Perhaps

Just don't strain them?
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #586 on: November 04, 2020, 08:18:39 PM »
Just don't strain them?
dont get the same flavor

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #587 on: November 05, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »

Offline NY_Mike

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #588 on: November 06, 2020, 10:19:10 AM »

Yeah definitely a food mill as some others have pointed out. While you may not get the exact same texture as using a fine mesh strainer, I think it'll get you pretty close especially if you change the disk in your food mill to something extra fine.
Yes, you will also get a random seeds here and there that managed to wiggle its way thru but it's negligible.

I used to go thru the process of slicing the tomato's open and removing the seeds by hand, but just found it to be too much work, the food mill does the job 99% well enough that I have no complaints.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #589 on: December 16, 2020, 11:42:24 PM »

Brother Hermit, I have missed your posts and participation on the forum the last couple years. i hope you and your family are OK. We lost Nick last winter and Dough Doctor recently.

I am very interested to hear thoughts on this.  I don't use any oil in my sauce but I'd like to if it won't make it too greasy.  I always struggle with moisture on pies.

Right now I really have no idea what I am shooting for, admittedly, having never been to NY and had anything to compare it to.  Just what I've had at so called "NY style pizzarias" outside of NY.  Seems like a wide range between them all in the sauce, I guess this is what sets a lot of them apart if they're using the same ovens/cheese/flour.

Right now I have this renegade sauce that I like, changing up between tomatoes seems to bring a difference to the base.  I've been able to add in some red wine vinegar or white sugar to alter a Roma WP tomato to get a little closer to SM but it's still not the same.  Standard WP tomatoes seem to need the most work but around here they have a lot of the salt already in them. 

My seasonings have changed a lot but I seem to really like 1tsp of granular garlic and oregano, 1/2 tsp of black pepper and crushed red pepper in the sauce.  Using white sugar or red wine vinegar to adjust the sweetness or acidity of the sauce.  I'm finding the salt bounces between 1/2tsp and 1tsp depending on the sodium content of tomatoes.  After about 4 months of using almost exclusively SM tomatoes it seems like the roma WP tomatoes need some work.  No side by side comparisons just perception at this point.  I've been trying to take most tomato products between crushed, WP, diced, and get the flavor and consistency to a familiar ballpark.  It takes me a good 2 hours to make the sauce from the time it's strained until it's done just cooking down the juice and getting the salt/sweet/acid right.  Last time I did a taste test throughout the seasoning process and while it wasn't a rested sauce, I still got the general idea of the profile.  The fresh ground black pepper and granulated garlic both seemed to bring the most layered and noticable flavor profiles over the rest of ingredients.

I have tried about 8 different tomatoes, so this is from a very limited perspective!  I see a lot of members using various brands of tomatoes and I am sure they are great and more commercially used, my ingredients are mostly from a standard grocery shoppers perspective.  I don't get out much.

I think I have my local pizzaria beat out on sauce but I need to do a purchase and comparison with some testers to see  ;D
-Tony

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #590 on: March 10, 2021, 05:03:10 PM »
That sounds great. I'm not ready to make the number of changes to my sauce to replicate it immediately, but I'm very tempted to try a bit of anchovy paste as I've been curious about it for a while. If you added a 1/4 tsp for 20" pie, maybe I'll do 1/8 tsp for 16".

But, what do you guys think about the anchovy paste going into a raw uncooked sauce?

Also, is there a big difference in quality/flavor across different brands of paste or can I just buy whatever the supermarket has in stock?

Finally coming back to this 2 years later. I now have anchovy paste. Questions:

- Fine to put in in a raw sauce? Edit: meaning, does the anchovy need extra cooking to develop flavor, or would just the pie bake be sufficient from a flavor perspective? (I'm not too concerned about safety, it seems safe to eat it from the tube.)

- How much for 1.25 cups of sauce? I was surprised the Cento paste I bought has only 550mg of sodium in 2 tsp. I was thinking 1/2 tsp, though that's probably double what JKB used.

Matt
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 07:07:25 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline SHB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #591 on: March 10, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »
Yea anchovy paste is fine to include "raw" (its cooked).

I think you would definitely notice the flavor using 1 tsp in 1 cup of sauce. Perhaps start with .5 tsp and bump up from there if you're unfamiliar with it.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #592 on: March 10, 2021, 06:28:20 PM »
Finally coming back to this 2 years later. I now have anchovy paste. Questions:

- Fine to put in in a raw sauce?

- How much for 1.25 cups of sauce? I was surprised the Cento paste I bought has only 550mg of sodium in 2 tsp. I was thinking 1/2 tsp, though that's probably double what JKB used.

Matt

1) I'd guess the paste has been pasteurized before being packaged. Therefore, I wouldn't be worried about putting it into a raw sauce that will probably be finished off in a very hot oven.

2) When I've used  anchovy paste, I like to have a bit of the taste, not just the umami background. But that is just me. For 1.25 cups of sauce, I'd go with a a teaspoon!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #593 on: March 10, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »
Thank you both! I'm going to edit my post above to elaborate that question 1 was intended to be more about whether the anchovy needs extra cooking to develop flavor, rather than food safety.

I'm thinking I'll add the anchovy to the tomato without any other seasoning and taste it...then maybe add a bit more. Maybe in 1/4 tsp increments.
Matt

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #594 on: March 10, 2021, 08:41:33 PM »
......whether the anchovy needs extra cooking to develop flavor, rather than food safety.

I don't think it needs any cooking to develop flavor. Just whisk it into whatever your normal sauce is. That said, I never cook my sauce! Let us know what you think!

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #595 on: April 14, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »
How is everyone thinning their sauce out? Water to achieve the standard NY sauce consistency Iíve seen seems like it would dilute the flavor.

Iím using the recipe from Pizza Bible (mix of 7/11, superdolce with a little hand crushed whole tomatoes) which tastes spot on, but it is extremely thick and isnít really harmonious with the cheese post-bake.

Couldnít find any definitive answers...please help! Thank you!!

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #596 on: April 14, 2021, 11:35:43 AM »
I achieve thinness by using whole peeled tomatoes. 7/11 never got me there.

I put Alta Cucina through a food mill using the fine plate. Nothing else to thin it.

Matt

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #597 on: April 14, 2021, 01:14:47 PM »
Will give that a try. Iíve been using Alta Cucina, so I think I need to up the amount! Thank you.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #598 on: April 14, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »
Currently on a Alta Cucina kick myself, but I used to run some 7/11 or Tomato Magic through a food mill and combine that with some right from the can.

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #599 on: April 17, 2021, 12:55:05 PM »
After all my experimentation Iím currently back to basics using either Alta Cucina or 7/11, with very small amounts of salt, some oregano and oil. Sometimes Iíll cut my Altas or 7/11 with a bit of Full Red. Have found the flavor being closest to that good slice shop flavor by keeping things simple.