A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Fermentation time counting question  (Read 515 times)

Offline idanedry

• I Love Pizza!
Fermentation time counting question
« on: March 07, 2020, 08:33:40 AM »
Hi experts,

Do u count the resting time between strech and folds as fermentation time?

For example, I put the dough to rest 2H after kneading and then stretch and folds every 10 minutes 4 times. So its 2.3Hours of RT fermentation? 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
Re: Fermentation time counting question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 09:03:23 AM »
Yes you do, but remember that the scheduling of those fermentation periods is just as important as the total fermentation time, for example, if we are going to give our dough 24-hours total fermentation time there will be a huge difference in how the dough handles if we were to ball the dough immediately after mixing and then give it 24-hours of undisturbed fermentation as opposed to fermenting the dough for 23-hours and then balling it and trying to open it into a skin only an hour later. This is one reason why I personally like to scale and ball the dough immediately or soon after mixing and then allow it to ferment in ball form for the bulk of the fermentation time (whatever that might be), when managing the dough in this manner you are almost assured of a dough ball that will be very relaxed and open easily.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline idanedry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
Thank you for the detailed answer.

Do you have any recommendation on how long should I ball the dough before opening it into skin? (NP style, ~70% Hydration)
I found that when I ball/re-ball the dough 2-3 hours before cook It's much open into skin instead of doing it after ~24 hours, the dough is less sticky and stronger.

:pizza:

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »
Thank you for the detailed answer.

Do you have any recommendation on how long should I ball the dough before opening it into skin? (NP style, ~70% Hydration)
I found that when I ball/re-ball the dough 2-3 hours before cook It's much open into skin instead of doing it after ~24 hours, the dough is less sticky and stronger.

:pizza:

If I may, the very reply is in Tom's previous message.
From my experience, it really depends on your dough management. I had better dough openings with balling 6H before than 8H before. And depending on the HR, balling just after mixing (meaning 23-24H RTF in ball) is definitely the best.
With your exact procedure I don't know, maybe you should make some tests as usual...  :-\
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:49:42 PM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline idanedry

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 03:33:14 PM »
Hi Yael and Tom,

So I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

If I want to ferment 48 hours for example, the best results will be to divide to balls right after mixing (mixing includes: 2H rest in RT and some stretch and folds 30 min iterations), and put in CF (in balls), make sure dough balls are in ~77F temp before entering the fridge ?

instead of fermenting in one piece (bulk) and divide to balls 24 hours before cook.

Thank you very much for the assistance!

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:06:12 AM »
Hi Yael and Tom,

So I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

If I want to ferment 48 hours for example, the best results will be to divide to balls right after mixing (mixing includes: 2H rest in RT and some stretch and folds 30 min iterations), and put in CF (in balls), make sure dough balls are in ~77F temp before entering the fridge ?

instead of fermenting in one piece (bulk) and divide to balls 24 hours before cook.

Thank you very much for the assistance!

Yes that's it, and IMO you will realize pretty quickly that this is the most convenient way if you run a pizzeria. Dough mixing, resting a little bit, then balling and CF until you need it (48, 72, 96H...).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
Just remember to allow time for the dough ball to warm AT (repeat AT) room temperature until the internal ball temperature is in the 50 to 60F/10 to 15.5C range before opening into skins.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor