A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Detroit Style  (Read 4387 times)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Detroit Style
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »
THanks for sharing this.  My mother is Gluten Free and misses pizzas bad.  I think I'm going to try this.  Would you double this for a 10x14 pan?

Double will work.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 12:13:16 AM »
FYI, 313 is the area code for Detroit for those that don't know.

the only reason i know this is the eminem song lyric from 8 mile:
now everybody from the 313... ill stop there and save peter some time.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 12:15:09 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline natellis123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2021, 09:01:27 PM »
Looks awesome! I recently just visited Austin and went to Via313. My wife is gluten free and hasnt stopped talking about that pizza. Im going to try your recipe very soon! Thanks for sharing!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2021, 09:43:23 PM »
Looks awesome! I recently just visited Austin and went to Via313. My wife is gluten free and hasnt stopped talking about that pizza. Im going to try your recipe very soon! Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. Here is my latest formula. The amounts for the round are for a thinner Bar Pie version that I'm developing.

Pan Pizza w/Caputo Fioreglut

8X10-285g      10 Round-203g

Flour   100%         140g            100g
Water     95%         133g              95g
Sugar       3%          4.2g                3g
Salt       2.5%          3.5g             2.5g
Olive Oil       2%          2.8g                2g
CY          1%          1.4g                1g

Total        203.5%

Mix

1- Dissolve yeast in water
2- Add flour
3- Mix on low to incorporate
4- Add salt mix
5- Slowly add oil and mix for 4-5 minutes until smooth
6- Place in covered container, cold proof for 24 hours

Par Bake   

1- Portion out  into well oiled pan
2- Cover and let rise, around 5 hours @78F
3- Uncover and bake with some cheese around the edge at 550F until its lightly colored, about 6 minutes
4- Remove from pan and cool. Wrap and bake or freeze.

Bake

1- Place into well oiled pan, apply cheese covering corners and sides
2- Add sauce and toppings
3- Bake at 525 until done, approximately11-13 minutes

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2021, 10:37:55 PM »
You're welcome. Here is my latest formula. The amounts for the round are for a thinner Bar Pie version that I'm developing.

Pan Pizza w/Caputo Fioreglut

8X10-285g      10 Round-203g

Flour   100%         140g            100g
Water     95%         133g              95g
Sugar       3%          4.2g                3g
Salt       2.5%          3.5g             2.5g
Olive Oil       2%          2.8g                2g
CY          1%          1.4g                1g

Total        203.5%

Mix

1- Dissolve yeast in water
2- Add flour
3- Mix on low to incorporate
4- Add salt mix
5- Slowly add oil and mix for 4-5 minutes until smooth
6- Place in covered container, cold proof for 24 hours

Par Bake   

1- Portion out  into well oiled pan
2- Cover and let rise, around 5 hours @78F
3- Uncover and bake with some cheese around the edge at 550F until its lightly colored, about 6 minutes
4- Remove from pan and cool. Wrap and bake or freeze.

Bake

1- Place into well oiled pan, apply cheese covering corners and sides
2- Add sauce and toppings
3- Bake at 525 until done, approximately11-13 minutes

That's interesting. Cheese around the edges for the par bake.

I mixed and parbaked one of these some time ago. Plans got shifted and never did the final bake on that GF pizza. It's still in the freezer but I think I'd start over instead of finishing that one. Maybe try again next weekend. Not sure if time will allow it.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2021, 11:03:19 PM »
I found that using a bit of cheese around the edge prevents the dough from pulling away from the pan during the par bake.

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 08:24:26 PM »
Hans- thank you so much for all your contributions. You are very generous.

I have a 2k batch of this chilling to bake tomorrow.

Your help on my regular Detriot/grandma game has been very helpful. I'm looking forward to this.

I will also give the bar style a try while I'm at it.

thank you,
ANdrew

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 08:36:03 PM »
You're very welcome!

Offline toade

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2022, 01:31:47 PM »
I'm planning on giving this a try this weekend, CF for 24 hours, and then RT tomorrow.  I don't have fresh yeast available, do you have a recommendation of how much IDY to use?  Does around a third of your CY% seem right?

Thanks Hans!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:20:22 PM by toade »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2022, 07:49:17 PM »
I use .7% instant yeast (IDY.) I can send you the PDF with the latest formula if you message me your email.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 09:07:57 PM by HansB »

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2022, 11:40:39 PM »
Finally got around to making one of these. My dough had the consistency of joint compound or spackle. I think an offset spatula would help getting it in the pan. I did the parbake in the oven and then the final bake in the wood oven. Next time I think I'll do both inside and maybe a bit longer for some more color on the crust. My mother in law and sister in law loved it.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2022, 12:36:29 AM »
looks wonderful!
jeff

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2022, 10:10:19 AM »

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2022, 11:32:14 PM »
Thanks guys. I think this style works well with GF.

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2022, 01:17:56 AM »
I've been making Detroit style GF pizza in a similar way for the past year for my daughter-in-law. 

For a single Detroit in a 9x9 pan:

156 grams warm water, stir in 1/3 teaspoon IDY until dissolved.  Add 1.3 teaspoons EVOO and 1.3 teaspoons Kosher salt.  Add 161 grams of Fioreglut flour and mix it all together.  The mixture does have the consistency of drywall spackle, so don't be alarmed.  :)  I grease the pan with Crisco and spread the dough around with a spoon.  If the spoon sticks to the dough you can use more EVOO on the surface of the dough to help keep it from sticking.  Cover the pan with plastic wrap and let it rise for 5-6 hours at 72F or warmer.  Like Hans, I sprinkle shredded cheese around the edge just before par baking for 5 minutes at 500F on a stone.  Top the pizza with whatever you like and bake for another 5-6 minutes.  I'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow when I make it and post them in this thread.

Scott

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2022, 11:31:06 PM »
Pics from making a GF Detroit today...

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2022, 11:33:14 PM »
... and the pre-bake pics...sorry, I forgot to get a pic of the risen dough in the pan before the par bake.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 12:20:24 PM by pgpizza »

Online Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2022, 10:13:29 AM »
That looks like it came out great.

I never got a circular pizza to come out in a way I liked. The people I cook GF for never complained (seriously, if you ever want to cook for a group of people that are very appreciative of your efforts, cook for some that has to eat GF) but I never liked how they came out and the dough was very tough to shape and launch. I had been using a screen for the parbake and then topping and launching in a dedicated GF blackstone. Never worked out great in my opinion. I really think this is the way to go for a GF pizza.

Offline pgpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2022, 12:18:43 PM »
You're right Jon, my daughter-in-law is very appreciative of having a really good pizza that's GF.  The one thing I've found with this GF dough is that it comes out much better if you let it rise for 5 hours or so in the form you want it in.  Detroit style is easy because it can rise in the pan.  For a round you have to shape it on parchment, let it rise, then par bake, top it and bake for another 5 minutes.  She likes both styles but prefers the Detroit right now.