A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC guy makes NYC pie  (Read 12327 times)

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
Re: NYC guy makes NYC pie
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2021, 03:23:31 PM »
Last night's attempt!

16", 62% Hydration, 48hr CF using the Joe Rosenthal formula (https://www.richardeaglespoon.com/articles/how-to-pizza)
Some of the best dough I've handled thus far, might get stuck on this one for a while. Really tasty, and didn't miss the LDMP.

Assuming you are still digging this recipe - Which thickness did you use?  I am looking to switch recipes, as my dough keeps tearing and it is frustrating me. But even his thick setting is thinner than what I have been doing (and still managing to tear it).

Out of the ones that I can recall you have done (this one, Txcraig, chrisgraff, the baking steel one), which do you think you like the most?  I think you and I are going for similar crusts (more to the well done side, crispy underneath, cracks when you fold it, etc.). 
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2021, 06:08:34 PM »
Assuming you are still digging this recipe - Which thickness did you use?  I am looking to switch recipes, as my dough keeps tearing and it is frustrating me. But even his thick setting is thinner than what I have been doing (and still managing to tear it).

Out of the ones that I can recall you have done (this one, Txcraig, chrisgraff, the baking steel one), which do you think you like the most?  I think you and I are going for similar crusts (more to the well done side, crispy underneath, cracks when you fold it, etc.).

I just adjust to make the dough balls 510 grams each per 16 pie. Im trying to Rosenthal formula again on Thursday. Will be the second time. But I really loved how easy it was to work with. Give it a shot!

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2021, 09:42:43 PM »
I just adjust to make the dough balls 510 grams each per 16 pie. Im trying to Rosenthal formula again on Thursday. Will be the second time. But I really loved how easy it was to work with. Give it a shot!
Just picked up my 17x17x3/8 steel today from the metal shop  ;D  I have it soaking in vinegar till tomorrow.  I'm gonna try Rosenthal work flow and recipe for pizza on Friday, cant wait to try out the steel!  I have a feeling I'll be putting my Koda16 to sleep for awhile  :-D 

Offline jlijoi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2021, 01:38:12 PM »
Just picked up my 17x17x3/8 steel today from the metal shop  ;D  I have it soaking in vinegar till tomorrow.  I'm gonna try Rosenthal work flow and recipe for pizza on Friday, cant wait to try out the steel!  I have a feeling I'll be putting my Koda16 to sleep for awhile  :-D

Been looking for a larger size steel plate myself.  Is there any particular type of steel I should be asking for?

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #124 on: January 27, 2021, 01:59:18 PM »
Been looking for a larger size steel plate myself.  Is there any particular type of steel I should be asking for?
A36 low carbon steel plate.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2021, 02:39:13 PM »
Would say Thursday was a success. I can nitpick all day but this was GOOD, and first time in a long time I wasn't disappointed.

Some notes:

- Dough ball weight increase was super necessary. 510g seems to be pretty close to a sweet spot for a 16", could maybe even up it 10+ more grams perhaps without it feeling too thick.

- As discussed previously with Matt, upping my sauce and cheese amounts made a BIG difference. I think i did nearly 10oz of sauce, and 9oz of cheese, I even went heavier than that on the second pie (one with toppings) which was almost overboard but still worked out well.

- Sicilian oregano is AWESOME, wish I put more of it in my sauce initially but adding it post-bake worked well. To those who use it - do you find it to be much more subtle than the normal kind you'd find in a shaker? I felt like I added the right amount to the sauce but it didn't totally come through initially on the pizza. Either way, it is great and will just use more next time.

- I mixed Mutti and Alta's for the sauce because thats what I had and wanted to try combining. I liked it. I would still like to try Alta + a heavy puree.

- I did a lower temp / longer bake than I've been doing recently and I'm absolutely sticking to it. somewhere around 520F for around 10 mins was great and got the melt that I wanted and the nice color on the crust. At this temp, leaving it in maybe a minute longer than I thought I should also was a good move.

- Sesame seed crust is pure nostalgia for me, as some of my first pizza experiences with my Dad as a kid were from a shop with sesame seed crust. As long as I have the seeds on hand I think all my crusts moving forward will be seeded.

- Dough was Joe Rosenthal's formula again. 62% Hydration, and I was patient and did a 72 hour cold ferment and it was worth it. Great flavor!

- Second pie had fresh garlic, onion and basil on request of the missus

- Grande WM, Some grated Grana Padano, and then some Frankie's 457 EVOO pre-bake on each pie.

Finally feels like im GETTING SOMEWHERE!  :chef:

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #126 on: January 30, 2021, 05:19:41 PM »
Wow, success indeed! That slice!!

Not too many people use that oregano. Where'd you find it?

I've found this oregano to be stronger than regular oregano. But I'm heavy-handed to begin with. I don't use any of the whitish flower looking parts. And I break the leaves into smaller pieces (but not too small) using my thumb and finger. I read somewhere here that breaking it helps release the oils.

Matt

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #127 on: January 30, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
I am glad you mentioned the 510 grams for a 16".  That seems to be the thickness that I liked, but thought that maybe I had been out of NJ for too long (considering Rosenthal says he is all the way down at 400 grams).  I am tempted to try your 10oz of sauce too.

I am thinking of changing my baking technique next time.  I have had issues getting the pie off the screen onto the steel.  So I think what I am going to try is put the screen on a lower rack like usual, but put my pizza stone just above it for that deck oven effect.  The stone I have is maybe a 15" diameter, and the pizza would be a 16" but I think the heat would radiate out at an angle and not straight down.  Plus I think this would allow me to go with a longer bake as you have suggested, without blasting the hell out of the cheese just so I can get some color on the top crust.

I skipped this week just to try to give myself some time to get confidence back.  We had standard Ohio pizza, which wasn't bad for Ohio pizza.  It will never replace that cheese / sauce / crust flavor and crunch symphony of a proper NJ slice.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2021, 07:38:59 PM »
Wow, success indeed! That slice!!

Not too many people use that oregano. Where'd you find it?

I've found this oregano to be stronger than regular oregano. But I'm heavy-handed to begin with. I don't use any of the whitish flower looking parts. And I break the leaves into smaller pieces (but not too small) using my thumb and finger. I read somewhere here that breaking it helps release the oils.

Thanks Matt! Really loved the melt - looked a little like yours which made me happy haha!

I bought the oregano online actually! There were  green and yellow-ish leaves I would pinch off the stem and break up between my fingers into smaller pieces into a small bowl. Hopefully did it the right way but it tasted good, so!

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2021, 01:44:09 PM »
Would say Thursday was a success. I can nitpick all day but this was GOOD, and first time in a long time I wasn't disappointed.

Some notes:

- Dough ball weight increase was super necessary. 510g seems to be pretty close to a sweet spot for a 16", could maybe even up it 10+ more grams perhaps without it feeling too thick.

- As discussed previously with Matt, upping my sauce and cheese amounts made a BIG difference. I think i did nearly 10oz of sauce, and 9oz of cheese, I even went heavier than that on the second pie (one with toppings) which was almost overboard but still worked out well.

- Sicilian oregano is AWESOME, wish I put more of it in my sauce initially but adding it post-bake worked well. To those who use it - do you find it to be much more subtle than the normal kind you'd find in a shaker? I felt like I added the right amount to the sauce but it didn't totally come through initially on the pizza. Either way, it is great and will just use more next time.

- I mixed Mutti and Alta's for the sauce because thats what I had and wanted to try combining. I liked it. I would still like to try Alta + a heavy puree.

- I did a lower temp / longer bake than I've been doing recently and I'm absolutely sticking to it. somewhere around 520F for around 10 mins was great and got the melt that I wanted and the nice color on the crust. At this temp, leaving it in maybe a minute longer than I thought I should also was a good move.

- Sesame seed crust is pure nostalgia for me, as some of my first pizza experiences with my Dad as a kid were from a shop with sesame seed crust. As long as I have the seeds on hand I think all my crusts moving forward will be seeded.

- Dough was Joe Rosenthal's formula again. 62% Hydration, and I was patient and did a 72 hour cold ferment and it was worth it. Great flavor!

- Second pie had fresh garlic, onion and basil on request of the missus

- Grande WM, Some grated Grana Padano, and then some Frankie's 457 EVOO pre-bake on each pie.

Finally feels like im GETTING SOMEWHERE!  :chef:
Excellent looking pies, looks like you got it nailed!  Last night used my steel and Rosenthal's recipe for the first time.  Ok, even though I over cooked all the pizza's I made last night (4) and my oven sabotaged me, I could tell Rosenthal's recipe is very good.  I loved the way the dough handled right out of the gate. I'm super worried about my oven, and the way it handled last night.

I pre-heated the oven at 550 for 1.5 hours before the bake, the steel was between 540 and 549.  I launched and baked the first two pies with no issues, but as we finished eating the second pie, I glanced over at the oven and noticed it was flashing a F9 error code and the oven turned off.  According to GE, "when the oven gives this error code it means the oven has detected a problem with the automatic door lock."
When I tried to turn it back on it gave me another error code saying "door locked" even though it wasn't.  Once the oven cooled down, it let me turn it back on and I was back in business and made the third pie. While making the 4th pie, the error codes came back on and the heat turned off, so I just launched the pie and used the residual heat.

I'm not sure if there is anything I can do about this other than not letting the oven get too hot, but that really sucks! I might not ever be able to obtain the NY style I dream of.  If anyone has experienced this problem please let me know.  Thanks.

(I forgot to add that I used the broiler for have of the bake on the pies and my steel is 17x17x3/8)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 02:25:23 PM by vincentoc13 »

Offline [email protected]

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2021, 10:16:21 AM »
Hey there. Good looking pies youre making.

(Edit: found the thread I was looking for, look forward to following yours)

Saw your mention of a Scarrs dough clone at the beginning of the thread and searched a bit without fruition.

Any chance of a point in the right direction for a forum newb?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 09:17:34 PM by [email protected] »

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2021, 11:29:37 AM »
Saved myself a trip to Sansone by asking nicely at a local spot :)

15 bucks!

I have access to this and other Grande loafs at Ace Endico but have been reluctant to purchase, only make a few pies every week or so. Usually get shredded East Coast Blend, portioned and frozen in ziplock bags. What do you use to grate all that cheese. I imagine I would cut into sections and freeze the remaining portions but my 14-16" pies use 8-11 oz of cheese at a time.

Best... Steve

Offline stevenfstein

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2021, 11:31:13 AM »
Sesame seeds on the crust sounds interesting - how do you achieve that please?

Best... Steve

Online hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2021, 11:44:55 AM »
I have access to this and other Grande loafs at Ace Endico but have been reluctant to purchase, only make a few pies every week or so. Usually get shredded East Coast Blend, portioned and frozen in ziplock bags. What do you use to grate all that cheese. I imagine I would cut into sections and freeze the remaining portions but my 14-16" pies use 8-11 oz of cheese at a time.

Best... Steve

Thats what I do. Cut into ~10oz chunks, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Then thaw and shred for each bake. (I use a potato grater to get bigger shreds.)

There really isn't a huge difference between their whole milk and east coast blend though.

Matt

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2021, 09:46:54 PM »
Sesame seeds on the crust sounds interesting - how do you achieve that please?

Best... Steve

I just brush the rim with a little water and sprinkle em on before I sauce or cheese the pie!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #135 on: February 07, 2021, 09:48:25 PM »
Thats what I do. Cut into ~10oz chunks, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Then thaw and shred for each bake. (I use a potato grater to get bigger shreds.)

There really isn't a huge difference between their whole milk and east coast blend though.

Yep same!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2021, 01:21:10 PM »
I want to get a can of either Full Red, Super Dolce, or Saporito to mix with my Alta Cucina's. Seems like it will get me one step closer to where I want my flavors to be. Any one prefer one to the other? As I've stated I'm literally just trying to get my sauce to taste anywhere near a GOOD nyc slice's would.

Also - there is a short video series about Scarr's, I'm not sure if it was posted here yet but it looks like they use #10 cans of Bianco DiNapoli "SAUCE", which I have not tried yet. Anyone mess around with their prepared sauce before? (comes in at 1:27 in the video)

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2021, 01:49:03 PM »
I want to get a can of either Full Red, Super Dolce, or Saporito to mix with my Alta Cucina's. Seems like it will get me one step closer to where I want my flavors to be. Any one prefer one to the other? As I've stated I'm literally just trying to get my sauce to taste anywhere near a GOOD nyc slice's would.

Also - there is a short video series about Scarr's, I'm not sure if it was posted here yet but it looks like they use #10 cans of Bianco DiNapoli "SAUCE", which I have not tried yet. Anyone mess around with their prepared sauce before? (comes in at 1:27 in the video)
I just got myself a can of Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes and used it on my pizzas yesterday. I thought they made a good sauce, but I wouldn't say they were any better than others I've come to rely on. Mutti San Marzanos are still my favorite, and Cento all-purpose ground tomatoes are as good as the Bianco DiNapolis, in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily say I was disappointed with them (okay, maybe a little, after all the hype I've been hearing about them for so long), but now that I've tried them, I don't feel any need to use them again.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:41 PM »
I just got myself a can of Bianco DiNapoli tomatoes and used it on my pizzas yesterday. I thought they made a good sauce, but I wouldn't say they were any better than others I've come to rely on. Mutti San Marzanos are still my favorite, and Cento all-purpose ground tomatoes are as good as the Bianco DiNapolis, in my opinion. I wouldn't necessarily say I was disappointed with them (okay, maybe a little, after all the hype I've been hearing about them for so long), but now that I've tried them, I don't feel any need to use them again.

Oh yeah I meant their SAUCE product, I've used their Whole Peeled and Crushed tomatoes before and liked them but was curious about this:
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/524b0fd3e4b0b054d2f65e22/1588452513268-SWG4QMEU033UA6Z55F17/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kIN5LfX9-0h7Ghnev0lihcp7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0o8OMvY5tuV_wqZQCqqStn6TLQlsf89CrXSpCVTAQ8arOUUWcdNrARruD1pDI4y-jw/IMG_2508.jpg

Bottom left is the one I mean
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 02:42:31 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »
Oh yeah I meant their SAUCE product, I've used their Whole Peeled and Crushed tomatoes before and liked them but was curious about this:
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/524b0fd3e4b0b054d2f65e22/1588452513268-SWG4QMEU033UA6Z55F17/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kIN5LfX9-0h7Ghnev0lihcp7gQa3H78H3Y0txjaiv_0fDoOvxcdMmMKkDsyUqMSsMWxHk725yiiHCCLfrh8O1z4YTzHvnKhyp6Da-NYroOW3ZGjoBKy3azqku80C789l0o8OMvY5tuV_wqZQCqqStn6TLQlsf89CrXSpCVTAQ8arOUUWcdNrARruD1pDI4y-jw/IMG_2508.jpg

Bottom left is the one I mean
I'm sure it's probably a fine product, but I would imagine it's just like the whole tomato product, but pureed and maybe seasoned a little bit.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

wordpress