A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: NYC guy makes NYC pie  (Read 12264 times)

Offline piesofsatan

• regular slice not too hot boss
    • Three Slice Joints on Instagram
Re: NYC guy makes NYC pie
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2020, 04:05:32 PM »
I only tried Bianco a couple times, but wasn't thrilled with it. If you get out to Sansone, make sure you get some cans of Stanislaus (Alta Cucina and/or 7/11).

They taste great honestly, maybe the Crushed can I used was a bit off, because using one of their WP cans I remember being much happier. Either way, I am sure that the flavor you and I are both going for as Long Island guys who love Queens pizza would be different that one you can achieve with Bianco DiNapoli, definitely going to try out Stanislaus tomatoes once I get to Sansone, was even thinking of ordering one of the big cans off of Amazon. Would you say that 7/11 / Alta are the way to go over something like Tomato Magic? Or are they all pretty similar?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »
...Would you say that 7/11 / Alta are the way to go over something like Tomato Magic? Or are they all pretty similar?

Tomato Magic and 7/11 are very similar, but 7/11 has some skin left in it. Alta is whole peeled, so it's rather different from the crushed varieties.

Depends on personal preference and what you're after. But for me, the sauce needs to be really thin and wet, which requires whole peeled.

Matt

Offline kenjialt

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2020, 04:20:11 PM »

All were older posts through searches i've done when researching, but it seemed like people thought that he'd borrowed a lot of specific info from this forum's users for his recipes without any credit. I have enjoyed watching Kenji's videos, and like I said - watching/reading his recipes has made me more confident in doing this, and ultimately led me here so can't be all bad.

Heya - this is my first time back on here in a long time, but someone mentioned to me on Instagram that some folks here had accused me of stealing recipes or something without giving credit, so I searched and found this.

Can you point me to where people have made that claim? Because, well, it's not true. I don't have anything against the forum, but I personally don't spend much time here and never have. I also try to be quite meticulous about crediting people and sources whenever I borrow ideas or elaborate on them. I honestly don't know where this idea could have come from, but I'd be happy to talk with whoever was making those accusations and answer any questions they may have.

Best,
 Kenji

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2020, 09:22:42 PM »
Heya - this is my first time back on here in a long time, but someone mentioned to me on Instagram that some folks here had accused me of stealing recipes or something without giving credit, so I searched and found this.

Can you point me to where people have made that claim? Because, well, it's not true. I don't have anything against the forum, but I personally don't spend much time here and never have. I also try to be quite meticulous about crediting people and sources whenever I borrow ideas or elaborate on them. I honestly don't know where this idea could have come from, but I'd be happy to talk with whoever was making those accusations and answer any questions they may have.

Best,
 Kenji
Not long ago, somebody posted something to the effect of "I know people around here don't seem to like him much" (referring to you), and I questioned them about it, but got no response. I have no idea where that impression is coming from either, but I've only been on this forum for about a year myself, so whatever he was referring to, it was probably quite some time ago, and probably greatly exaggerated. But now that you're here again, don't be a stranger. Don't worry about putting rumors to rest; just contribute. If anybody wants to confront you about any alleged misconduct, they're free to do that, but I doubt that will happen.  We're always happy for good input around here, and I'm sure you can bring it.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2020, 04:02:27 PM »

Best,
 Kenji

Hi Kenji, I canít point you to exact posts as they had just come up searches when doing general research on here a while back. What I can tell you is that I do recall the comments being from older posts. Iím sure if you search your name you can find what I was referring to. Me even posting that comment was pointless and I regretted it as soon as I posted it because well, your recipes and videos kickstarted me making pizza to begin with and I appreciate that.

Offline kenjialt

« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2020, 04:28:34 PM »
Not long ago, somebody posted something to the effect of "I know people around here don't seem to like him much" (referring to you), and I questioned them about it, but got no response. I have no idea where that impression is coming from either, but I've only been on this forum for about a year myself, so whatever he was referring to, it was probably quite some time ago, and probably greatly exaggerated. But now that you're here again, don't be a stranger. Don't worry about putting rumors to rest; just contribute. If anybody wants to confront you about any alleged misconduct, they're free to do that, but I doubt that will happen.  We're always happy for good input around here, and I'm sure you can bring it.

Thanks! Iím super busy working on a wok cookbook now but we still make pizza once a week at my house with my toddler. Iím much more of a seat-of-my-pants type cook at home when Iím not specifically working on a recipe which is why I donít often visit online forums for niche subjects. Iíll try and drop in more frequently though!

Have a nice day.

Offline kenjialt

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2020, 04:29:37 PM »
Hi Kenji, I canít point you to exact posts as they had just come up searches when doing general research on here a while back. What I can tell you is that I do recall the comments being from older posts. Iím sure if you search your name you can find what I was referring to. Me even posting that comment was pointless and I regretted it as soon as I posted it because well, your recipes and videos kickstarted me making pizza to begin with and I appreciate that.

Got it. I donít really see the need to go digging up older posts to defend myself now so thanks for letting me know!

Offline yarbrough462

• Back in the US
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2020, 01:47:18 PM »
Welcome back Kenji!  Good to see you here.

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2020, 03:47:58 PM »
Hey all!

Haven't posted in a bit but here are some photos of this past Sunday's attempt.

Dough recipe is Chris Graff's from this forum again as it was delicious last time! Adjusted to make 16" pie.

Sauce is Sclafani Crushed through a food mill on the fine plate, with some salt, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and one basil leaf cut up into small pieces.

Cheese is Wegmans WM LM, + some fresh mozz + 20 month aged Parmigiano Reggiano to finish. Used some fresh basil post bake because I've been eating a lot of L'Industrie Pizza lately and feel like I subconsciously tried to make this pie look like theirs, haha.

Was maybe my best attempt yet, tasted great! This was a 5 hour RT dough, and I feel like I can't nail the hand mix, I never know if I've done too much or too little kneading, I definitely get thin spots when opening the doughs, no holes though. Would like to get it more consistent & workable. But that will come with time I'm sure, i've definitely been more focused on cheese and sauce. Having said that I still could improve sauce and STILL unhappy with the cheese though.

Debating placing an order on PenMac or something as it seems like getting out to Long Island to grab some Grande + Alta Cucina is proving harder than I thought. Anyone use them before to have cheese and tomatoes shipped to them?

Anyway, pics below! All told this was delicious and my roommates agreed! 

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2020, 03:48:44 PM »
Also, does image quality always degrade when uploading here? Is there an alternative, or am I doing something wrong?

Offline mattspips

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2020, 08:24:04 PM »
Looking great - do you bake on the screen on the steel first and then transfer off the screen directly to the steel or is it screen on steel the whole time?

Hey all!

Haven't posted in a bit but here are some photos of this past Sunday's attempt.

Dough recipe is Chris Graff's from this forum again as it was delicious last time! Adjusted to make 16" pie.

Sauce is Sclafani Crushed through a food mill on the fine plate, with some salt, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and one basil leaf cut up into small pieces.

Cheese is Wegmans WM LM, + some fresh mozz + 20 month aged Parmigiano Reggiano to finish. Used some fresh basil post bake because I've been eating a lot of L'Industrie Pizza lately and feel like I subconsciously tried to make this pie look like theirs, haha.

Was maybe my best attempt yet, tasted great! This was a 5 hour RT dough, and I feel like I can't nail the hand mix, I never know if I've done too much or too little kneading, I definitely get thin spots when opening the doughs, no holes though. Would like to get it more consistent & workable. But that will come with time I'm sure, i've definitely been more focused on cheese and sauce. Having said that I still could improve sauce and STILL unhappy with the cheese though.

Debating placing an order on PenMac or something as it seems like getting out to Long Island to grab some Grande + Alta Cucina is proving harder than I thought. Anyone use them before to have cheese and tomatoes shipped to them?

Anyway, pics below! All told this was delicious and my roommates agreed!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2020, 02:14:37 AM »
Looking great - do you bake on the screen on the steel first and then transfer off the screen directly to the steel or is it screen on steel the whole time?

Yes exactly! So my issue is that I have a 16Ē round baking steel, so launching a 16Ē pizza on to said steel could easily be a nightmare each time, hence the screen. I start on the screen and then about halfway through the bake I transfer directly to the steel. Plus I donít mind the screen marks as it reminds me of some Queens spots I grew up with :)

Offline Wilsonwilsonn

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2020, 12:14:24 AM »
Piesofsatan that last pie looks great man!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2020, 11:24:40 AM »
Piesofsatan that last pie looks great man!

Thank you so much!!

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
Alright, two more pies on the books!

Really happy with how consistent I'm getting these. Dough same recipe as last time (Chris Graff's from this forum), Bianco DiNapoli Whole Peeled through a food mill with salt, oregano, & some sugar. Only had some Wegman's PS Mozz + Fresh Mozz and I loved the look but definitely missed the WM flavor. Parmigiano Reggiano to finish.

I would imagine the Grande East Coast Blend is perfect, one day i'll grab some. Is the Trader Joe's WM Mozz close in flavor to Grande? Know alot of people prefer it and that would be much more accessible than getting out to Sansone for me.

Also think I could get the sauce better too, even though it was damn close this time.

510F on Baking Steel, 5 mins on screen, 2-3 mins directly on steel.

Offline wb54885

• Supporting Member
  • provare per credere
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
Pies look really good, but Iím also commending the Veltins/Overholt/MotŲrhead T-shirt combo in the background on your prior bake. 🤘
Every oven is a law unto itself and only itself.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2020, 12:36:08 PM »
Looks great, Mr. Satan >:D

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2020, 12:39:19 PM »
How is the taste / texture?

I am contemplating asking the chefs of some of the better looking pies to help me with EVERY SINGLE STEP to get mine to improve.  Your pies are some of the examples.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 08:14:05 AM by Peter B »
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2020, 09:17:19 PM »
Awesome looking Pies!!!!!!  What is your dough formula?

Offline piesofsatan

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
Awesome looking Pies!!!!!!  What is your dough formula?

Chris Graffís! Itís in this NY forum just look for Chris Craffís NY Style Pizza thread.

wordpress