A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: WHAT IS THIS PIZZA ?  (Read 688 times)

Offline Daniel_2020

• I Love Pizza!
WHAT IS THIS PIZZA ?
« on: January 29, 2021, 09:26:15 AM »
Hello,
Can someone please help me breakdown how this pizza was made? >>>> See Pictures Below<<<<
The pictures were from Sohmer's Pizza in Toronto.
It looks like a grandma pie and a detroit style pie sort of.
HOW WERE THEY ABLE TO GET THE CRISPY CHEESE ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE CRUST?
I really want to start a pizza restaurant, but need help.
Please let me know, thank you for your help :)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: WHAT IS THIS PIZZA ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
The crispy (burnt?) edges come from the cheese being in contact with the edge of the pan.

Offline CobaltHex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 02:41:46 PM »
this looks like a detroit style pizza
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 09:23:17 PM by CobaltHex »

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 06:09:17 PM »
Hey, I followed you over here from your original post.  Hydration is a measure (by weight) of water against the weight of flour. If a pizza dough recipe specifies 60% hydration, that would mean 60% water weight vs. the weight of the flour (which is always calculated at 100%); so for 1kg of flour, a 60% hydration rate would mean 600 g of water.  Likewise, all the other ingredients in the recipe would be similarly measured- 2.5% salt would be 25 grams of salt per 1kg of flour, 2% oil would be 20 g of oil per 1 kg of flour, etc.
Typically, thinner pizzas have hydration levels that are lower (like around 62% or lower, although that's just a ballpark figure, not an absolute), and thicker pizzas have  hydration levels over 70%. Hydration level is just one of many factors that give an indication of how a finished pizza will probably turn out; it's not the end-all-be-all figure that tells you everything, but it's important.
The effect you're speaking of with the cheese around the edge of the crust is achieved by simply placing some sprinkled cheese between the outer edge of the dough and pan before the pizza goes into the oven. Detroit style pizza is best known for this characteristic, and if you're in Toronto, that would explain why you're seeing it, being relatively close to Detroit.
As far as the browning in your flour, that comes from oxidation, and it's typically not a big concern if you're using it in a short amount of time. Some of the big industrial flour millers use ascorbic acid as an antioxidant, but you won't typically see that in the products from small millers. If you feel that's a big concern, you can seek out brands of flour that use some sort of antioxidant, but you'll usually only be able to buy those products in very large quantities. But it is possible that you could find a flour at one of your local grocery stores that has it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 04:04:30 AM by RHawthorne »
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »
...so for 1kg of flour, a 60% hydration rate would mean 600 g of water.  Likewise, all the other ingredients in the recipe would be similarly measured- 2.5% salt would be 2.5 grams of salt per 1kg of flour, 2% oil would be 2 g of oil per 1 kg of flour, etc.

Good post but with a decimal problem.
2.5% salt is 25 g per kilo of flour
2% oil is 20 g per kilo of flour

I know you would have caught this if mixing dough. Just so happens I mixed a 1 kilo of flour batch 2 days ago and the numbers were familiar to me.
-Tony

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 04:03:50 AM »

Good post but with a decimal problem.
2.5% salt is 25 g per kilo of flour
2% oil is 20 g per kilo of flour

I know you would have caught this if mixing dough. Just so happens I mixed a 1 kilo of flour batch 2 days ago and the numbers were familiar to me.
You’re right. Thanks for pointing that out and I will correct that post.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Daniel_2020

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 11:26:36 AM »
Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it :)
So to make a grandma pizza what would the water hydration be, 70% ?
Do you know which type of flour to use to make grandma pizza? I have a few kg's of 00 flour at home, and a couple of other types of flour (shown in pictures)
Does it matter what type of mozzarella I use?
And, do you know what size dough I would need to make a 10"X14" grandma pizza?
Sorry for all the questions. Thank you again!

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 12:58:57 AM »
Grandma style pizza (if that's what this is) is one that can be done different ways. I'm no expert on it by any means. You could play around with different types of flour and see what you like. Italian 00 might work, but I think the more traditional choice would probably be all-purpose, or maybe bread flour.  I believe the traditional mozzarella used for this style is low moisture whole milk, not fresh, and it's usually finished with some Parmesan or Romano. Having said that, the color of the cheese in the picture looks a bit yellowish to me, so it's possible they're using some cheddar or something like that. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that, but this is a style I don't have a ton of experience with. For a 10" by 14" pizza in this style, I'd guess that a dough weight of around 500 grams should be in the ballpark, but don't quote me on it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:10:15 AM by RHawthorne »

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 01:07:10 AM »
this looks like a detroit style pizza
I thought so at first, too. But looking at it more closely, it's thickness looks closer to a grandma pizza. I'm guessing it's kind of a Detroit/grandma hybrid, which would leave a lot of leeway in the way of approaches and techniques. I think it's an interesting challenge.