A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Salt  (Read 478 times)

Offline bregent

• I Love Pizza!
Salt
« on: August 09, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »
Made a dough with formula I've been using for years. The dough usually goes through 3 days CF, but went crazy after less than 24 hours and popped the lids off the container.  Made the pies last night, and they tasted good, but the rim was tasteless. Lying in bed last night when it hit me - I forgot to add the salt.  Really surprised the dough opened as well as it did, and luckily there was enough salt in the cheese and toppings that the pies tasted good. But the rim was not edible.  Don't forget the salt!

Bob

Offline nhdalton

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Salt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »
Yep, I've done that with bread before.
Lifeless... bland... no taste... :(
I love pizza and pizza loves me.

Jim

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 02:04:18 AM »
Been there, done that! Also surprised it turned out looking as great as it does, it can really effect performance!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 08:41:14 PM »
Yeah... The addition of salt is necessary and, as you learned, without salt the dough will skyrocket during the CF as salt retards the yeast production.  The crust will also taste like total crap in my opinion without it.  Hey, at least ya didn't forget the yeast... which I did once.  Pulled a batch of dough and I was like WTF is wrong with this?  It's done nothing!  I baked it anyway and just for kicks and ended up with something like a massive cracker than got fed to the dog.       

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 09:07:50 PM »
I once forgot to put yeast in a batch of bagels.  :-[
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 09:59:25 PM »
I once forgot to put yeast in a batch of bagels.  :-[

Now in the big scheme of things, THAT'S  a lot more work blown down the chute!!!😳😂
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 10:44:03 PM »
How much salt do you guys use? 

I always go with 1.8% of Kosher Salt. 

Here is my go to formulation now.  I used to do about 62% but I'm liking 58% these days.  Also I usually don't add sugar but I started adding a minor amount.  I don't like a sweet crust but I think that a little sugar is good for the yeast but I may be wrong.  48 hour CF.  General Mills Superlative bleached non-bromated. 

Sorry don't mean to digress but figured might as well mention my formula and maybe we can compare notes. 

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 02:14:41 AM »
I usually fun around 2.5% across the board. Rather it that than too lacking.
Jon

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2021, 06:07:03 AM »
How much salt do you guys use? 

I always go with 1.8% of Kosher Salt. 

Here is my go to formulation now.  I used to do about 62% but I'm liking 58% these days.  Also I usually don't add sugar but I started adding a minor amount.  I don't like a sweet crust but I think that a little sugar is good for the yeast but I may be wrong.  48 hour CF.  General Mills Superlative bleached non-bromated. 

Sorry don't mean to digress but figured might as well mention my formula and maybe we can compare notes.

I use 2.2% for everything but NP, for that I use 2.8%.

FYI, Morton's salt has anti-caking agents. Diamond Chrystal does not.
Instagram @hans_michigan

wordpress