A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Preparing for 3 days of Neapolitan pizza eating with no strong flour  (Read 595 times)

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!
Hey  :D

I've got family visiting (multiple coming and going) over 3 days and we expect to be eating Neapolitan pizza on all of those days at least once. My goal is to have dough ready to cook within 3-4 hours at any point during that time-frame and not have to do any kneading or bulk fermentation etc. My research concluded that I should do a CF and use a strong flour with W300+. So I would bulk RTF for 12 hours, 3 days CF, and consume the dough in the 1-4 days after that.

However I only have access to Caputo blue flour (W260/270) and don't have time to import a stronger flour. From my limited experience its not strong enough for a long fermentation (3+ days) in my fridge. My RT is around 30c and fridge is 5c.

Can anyone recommend a strategy given my constraints? I'm most concerned about getting a light fluffy texture and nice big cornicione (more so than flavor).

Thank you.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Make several batches at different times or with smaller yeast quantities to account for time of use.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
If it was me, I do this and hope for the best:

60% HR (cold water - not ice water cold)
3% salt
0.5% IDY

2 days before the first service, combine and mix just enough for the dough to be more-or-less homogeneous and go straight into the fridge for 24 hours in bulk. After 24h ball enough for the first day. 24h later ball enough for the 2nd day, and 24 hours after that ball the remaining dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
I'm most concerned about getting a light fluffy texture and nice big cornicione (more so than flavor).

I'm reminded of

:-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!
I'm reminded of

:-D

Yeah :) I just meant that I and my guests are more likely to appreciate and detect good texture as apposed to the flavor nuances of long fermentation 48 vs 72 hrs etc.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
To some extent you're going to have to take what you can get unless you want to make dough daily.

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!

3% salt
0.5% IDY

2 days before the first service, combine and mix just enough for the dough to be more-or-less homogeneous and go straight into the fridge for 24 hours in bulk. After 24h ball enough for the first day. 24h later ball enough for the 2nd day, and 24 hours after that ball the remaining dough.

Thanks Craig. If you dont mind, can I ask you:

1. What temp do you recommend for fridge? (I can adjust from 37f - 46f)
2. Once I've balled the dough, how long should I proof it at RT before cooking? (RT = 80f) or should I be measuring internal temp of dough?
3. I have ADY but can get IDY if you recommend it for this recipe, other please confirm around 0.65% ADY is correct?

I really appreciate any help.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
1) 37-38F
2) I'd give it at least 2 hours at room temp before baking. Notwithstanding, look at it, and if it looks like it could use some additional rise, pull them out of the fridge sooner.
3) I prefer IDY because I find it to be more predictable, but 0.65% ADY should be fine. I'm assuming you hydrate it with a small amount of the formula water warmed to lukewarm.

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Preparing for 3 days of Neapolitan pizza eating with no strong flour
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 04:29:44 AM »

3% salt
0.5% IDY

Hi Craig, I really appreciate your help and support. I'm just getting ready to start the first step in a few hours. In your instructions you say to start 2 days before the first service. The first service is on Saturday at 1pm. So 48 hrs before is today at 1pm. I will mix and put into fridge for bulk fermentation for 24 hours at 38f. This brings us to tomorrow (Friday) at 1pm. So I'll take out enough to ball for Saturday and then what? (since I still have 24 hours until I bake). I assume I put them back into the fridge? See my plan below, is it correct?

Thu 13:00 - Create more-or-less homogeneous bulk dough and put into fridge
Fri 13:00 - Ball enough for Sat lunch 13:00 and return to Fridge
Sat 10:00 - Remove Fri balls from fridge for final proofing at RT
Sat 12:00 - Remove bulk from fridge and ball enough for Sunday lunch 13:00 and return balls to Fridge
Sat 13:00 - Bake
Sun - Repeat Sat.
Mon - Repeat Sun.

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 10:36:21 AM »
My more-or-less homogeneous dough before going into fridge, hope it works   :D

Offline harold91

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2022, 10:17:36 AM »
@TXCraig1 Please confirm if I should return dough balls to fridge after balling or Proof at room temp for 24 hours? Thank you.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2022, 06:31:44 PM »
@TXCraig1 Please confirm if I should return dough balls to fridge after balling or Proof at room temp for 24 hours? Thank you.

Back into the fridge. Pull out at least 2 hours before service. Longer if they look like the need more rise.