A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Dough deflating in the fridge  (Read 354 times)

Offline delerious

• I Love Pizza!
Dough deflating in the fridge
« on: June 05, 2022, 05:19:41 AM »
I made a dough based off the Pizza Hut pan pizza recipe, which calls for letting it rise and then putting it in the fridge overnight.

After letting it rise for an hour, it had filled up the whole pan and was pressing up against the plastic wrap, as you can see in the first photo.

Then I put it in the fridge, and after 30 minutes it had started to deflate as you can see in the second photo. That didn't happen the last time I made this pizza. I noticed the plastic wrap wasn't covering a small part of the edge of the pan - would that cause it to deflate?

What should I do about this tomorrow?  Put it back in a warm spot to try to get it to rise again, and then put it back in the fridge again? Or somehow try to shape it so the deflated areas are a bit higher?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Dough deflating in the fridge
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 07:01:33 AM »
This means your dough was fully fermented.  I don't think its going to bake the perfect pizza at this point.   I try to use my pan pizza doughs before they collapse, but you can still get a decent pizza sometimes with direct doughs that don't undergo bulk fermentation like this recipe if they fall once and then are used very soon after that. 

This could have been caused by a number of things, but the typical culprit is too high of a dough temperature after mixing.  Try using less yeast or cooler water next time and use the dough when it looks like it did just before the collapse. 

Good luck!

A D V E R T I S E M E N T