A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Dough Ingredients / Re: Source for Pizza Flour in Houston
« Last post by mosabrina on Today at 06:33:28 PM »
I wish more companies would sell 25#. That's a better size for me and the only one that does it is graincraft but I don't like the way that flour browns.
Pizza Ovens / Re: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven
« Last post by mosabrina on Today at 06:28:19 PM »
It seems with how big it is, they could have figured a way to make it so it could've cooked a true 18" NY pie. If any company ever releases a sub $2k gas powered pizza oven that can make an 18" it'll be a 100% buy for me.  The Dome looks gigantic and it weighs like 170lbs but unless you want to cook 2 really tiny pizzas you're going to max out at same size pizza as the Karu. I know some of the super nice brick ovens you can do an 18" and they have gas options. But I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one, and maybe another body part to get the gas add-on lol.  You mention the extra space in the Dome for turning pizzas and I probably shouldn't downplay that. I went from a Koda 12 to a Roccbox, and the 1st thing I noticed was the stone was an inch smaller in the Roccbox and it was way more difficult for me to launch and turn my pizzas.

And I won't be using that video to help me decide which to buy 1st. I'm convinced Vito could make a better looking pizza in a crappy home oven than me going 100% in my Roccbox lol.

In order to cook a large pizza you need a large door opening. Companies either want a no door oven for ease of use or an oven with a door, and 18 inches is quite big.

The average delivery pizza is 14" so even 16" is quite big.

Places that make "NY" style outside of NY that I've eaten at across america usually don't do 18 inches even.
Hmmm, I always build on my peel.  Can I launch off of the parchment paper - i.e., will it slide off or stick to the paper?

Put the parchment paper on the peel, build pizza, on it,  and slide pizza and parchment paper into oven.
There is always parchment paper...

Hmmm, I always build on my peel.  Can I launch off of the parchment paper - i.e., will it slide off or stick to the paper?
There is always parchment paper...
I usually build my pizzas straight on the peel, saves trying to transfer them from the bench to the peel.

This doesn't work too well for me when using high hydration dough.
(I usually stick to 60% hydration, but occasionally take a foray into Waterworld)

It's a 50/50 kinda situation but, for higher hydrations, it generally seems better to make the pizza on the bench and transfer it to the floured peel only when ready to go in the oven.
Also, trap some air under the pizza and give it a shake. You can see it "float".
Pizza Cheese / Re: Mozzarella Types--Any experience?
« Last post by Dasnyde4 on Today at 04:29:09 PM »
Thanks.  Wish there was a 50 50 mix to try but unfortunately there isn't.  Have to commit to a full card which is not only expensive, but a ton of cheese haha
Detroit Style / Re: Detroit Style - My way
« Last post by nikolausp on Today at 03:01:53 PM »
That was my recommendation to Post #229. His oven does not have bottom only baking, only warming.

Exactly.  that's why I said :  "I likely just misunderstood, based on the post you were replying to at the time, it seems."
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by politon on Today at 02:13:34 PM »
Three day cold fermented pizza dough formula, .21% IDY. Pizza is not bread? Hmmm.....
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by Hanglow on Today at 01:25:37 PM »
Semola tangzhong with milk, cheap aldi white bread flour and some sifted granary flour, with an overnight prove. Used IDY.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20