A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven  (Read 10886 times)

Offline luckydutch

• I Love Pizza!
New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven
« on: June 16, 2021, 12:09:56 PM »

Includes some nice new additions like a glass door and built-in thermometer.

It's pretty pricey though, 40% more expensive than the Koda 16 and that's before you add the gas adaptor which is sold separately.

Offline Andrea

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 03:32:30 PM »
We ordered the Ooni Koda 16 just last month. The shipping for the new one is 15-17 weeks away, so it would probably not arrive until 2022.
The Koda16 is expected to arrive sometime in August. As much as I wanted to try and change my order, I guess I will have to live with what I have coming.
This is so hard, always something newer and better coming out ;-)

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 10:36:55 AM »
I like that this has a glass door.  Would've been nice if they had one on the Ooni Koda 16.

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 09:47:54 PM »
I like that this has a glass door.  Would've been nice if they had one on the Ooni Koda 16.

All the gas models are purposely sold without doors. Apparently they are designed in a way for the air to dome towards the top of the oven. When a door is placed, it ends up suffocating and blasts the door right off. The solid fueled ones apparently are designed for heat to distribute evenly until it reaches the chimney and then leaves through the top. Having used both the pellet fired models and the gas models, that is pretty accurate. With the fyra, if the door is not placed on, the heat flows through the back. When placed on, the fire corrects itself. Ive got a koda 12 and it works just fine without a door. May i ask why so many people want a door? I don't see it benefiting the bake in any way.

Offline dedede

• Lifetime Member
  • trying to make better pizza
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 10:16:31 PM »
All the gas models are purposely sold without doors. Apparently they are designed in a way for the air to dome towards the top of the oven. When a door is placed, it ends up suffocating and blasts the door right off. The solid fueled ones apparently are designed for heat to distribute evenly until it reaches the chimney and then leaves through the top. Having used both the pellet fired models and the gas models, that is pretty accurate. With the fyra, if the door is not placed on, the heat flows through the back. When placed on, the fire corrects itself. Ive got a koda 12 and it works just fine without a door. May i ask why so many people want a door? I don't see it benefiting the bake in any way.

Can you share your sources with regards to the design? I don't have any suffocation issues and haven't had my door blasted off.

Adding a door to my Koda 12 has helped get a more even temp across the stone (made the front hotter) and reduced my preheat times.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 11:17:12 AM »
Can you share your sources with regards to the design? I don't have any suffocation issues and haven't had my door blasted off.

Adding a door to my Koda 12 has helped get a more even temp across the stone (made the front hotter) and reduced my preheat times.
How did you add a door?  pics?

Offline dedede

• Lifetime Member
  • trying to make better pizza
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 03:45:06 PM »
This is from 222steel on Etsy. It was about $60. Worth it.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 04:09:49 PM »
This is from 222steel on Etsy. It was about $60. Worth it.
wow!  Is there one for the Koda 16?

EDIT:  checking the website myself.... never heard about that website before.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 11:23:37 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »
*IF* this is accurate I'll be buying one + the gas burner for sure.  This is what Ooni wrote on their site for the gas burner

The new low power cooking function enables cooking low and slow pizzas or meat dishes. When you’re looking for a low-maintenance cooking experience look no further than the Ooni Karu 16 Gas Burner.

Sounds like NY bakes in this should be a breeze.  Getting a consistent lower temp in my Koda 12 is a constant struggle to this day.  It doesn't hurt that is a damn sexy looking oven either.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 07:53:41 PM by Quebert »

Offline pvura

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 11:00:46 AM »

Heard in a few videos with Kristian, the CEO, mentioning it. Also heard other youtubers mentioning it. I believe I also read it on the Ooni website, under the FAQ section or manual.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2021, 06:10:01 PM »
Heard in a few videos with Kristian, the CEO, mentioning it. Also heard other youtubers mentioning it. I believe I also read it on the Ooni website, under the FAQ section or manual.

Maybe that's regarding doors that completely close off the opening of the oven?  It looks like some of these after-market doors have slits/openings in them to permit airflow.  Should that be fine to use?

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 08:52:05 PM »
First,  always be very careful when modifying a gas appliance,  a mistake can result in death, not just to you , but to others.  I don't want to preach, but my suggestion is not to do something just because there is a youtube video ,  make sure you fully research it and feel comfortable you understand the issues.

That being said, we regularly discuss mods to ovens to get a better performance.  In general, propane, natural gas, or wood fired ovens need oxygen to fully combust the fuel source.  When there is an adequate supply of oxygen, and a properly maintained appliance, a gas fired appliance will give off byproducts such as water vapor and carbon dioxide - CO2,  but will not give off carbon monoxide,  CO.   That is the reason that millions of homes have open gas burners on stoves in kitchens, and that is generally very safe.   If an appliance is not well maintained, or it is not getting enough oxygen, the byproducts will also include soot and CO.  CO of course is deadly, which is why most of  the gas fired pizza ovens are not rated for indoor use at home.   Soot can clog up the burners, causing more incomplete combustion, which in turn increases the amount of soot, CO ,  and other bad byproducts.  If one puts a door on the oven, as the supply of oxygen decreases, first ,  the flame will try to come out the front of the oven searching for more oxygen .  As the supply of oxygen decreases, the flame will eventually go out.   If the pizza oven has a safety, and the safety is working properly, the gas to the burner should shut off shortly thereafter -  however - you run the risk that the gas that accumulates starts to escape, and that gas gets to a source of oxygen and a spark and goes bang.  Any of us who had a weak spark on a gas grill know the feeling - you turn on the gas, push the button the ignitor, it doesn't light, you push it again, and whoosh - a big ball of flame erupts.   

Sorry for the long explanation, but again, this can be dangerous.  So if you put a door on a pizza  oven and starve it of oxygen too much, the flame will be dirty, performance will suffer, and you run the risk of an explosion.  The new Ooni is designed to be sure that even with the door on, it has sufficient open areas to allow oxygen to reach the burner, and a chimney to exhaust the byproducts of combustion.    I can't offer any opinion on whether the doors offered by ebay and other suppliers are safe.  While I have a CO meter and a combustible gas detector,  I am not aware of a device that you can use to be sure that the door is allowing enough free passage of oxygen in, and exhaust gases out.  There is an oxygen depletion sensor that is attached to certain gas powered appliances ,  like gas logs, that shut off the burner if there is insufficient oxygen, but that doesn't give a read out, it just allows gas to flow or shuts if off. I wouldn't want to rely on a backup safety device as a primary protection ,  and I don't know if there is a detector that one could buy for home use to confirm whether the door is too restrictive or not.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 09:41:16 AM »
 Hi, I asked ooni a few questions about the new oven. I asked about insulation and was told walls, floor, and door were all insulated. also, I asked about cooking with the door on when using the gas attachment. they replied their airflow design allows keeping the door on when cooking with gas. 

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
barryvabeach,

thanks for that above post of yours.  It contributed to me changing my mind about getting an after-market door.

EDIT:  What are your thoughts an at least using an after-market flame guard for the Koda 16, for example?  In your opinion, should that be ok to use?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 11:05:27 AM by 9slicePie »

Offline Peter B

• This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 11:17:00 AM »
Sounds like NY bakes in this should be a breeze.  Getting a consistent lower temp in my Koda 12 is a constant struggle to this day.  It doesn't hurt that is a damn sexy looking oven either.

In for the discussion.  I am still several months away from having a yard, so I have the luxury of letting the early adopters test this newbie out.  At this point, I think I am mainly weighing this one against the Koda 16 and the Pro.  Mainly looking to do NY style, but am certainly interested in trying NP when I have an oven capable of doing it.  In other words, it is possible that I end up catching the NP bug.  I believe I would mainly be interested in cooking with gas, and the flexibility to use natural gas could be a plus with the Koda 16.  But the Karu 16 seems to have a lot of plusses that would make NYs better.

Now that is ignoring price, which I am sensitive to.  But if the Karu 16 clearly does a better job than the Koda 16, a few extra nights on my side hustle are not the end of the world.
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 11:45:39 AM »
a few extra nights on my side hustle

Now THIS piqued my interest  ;D

Offline Peter B

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 12:07:34 PM »
Now THIS piqued my interest  ;D

Oh - it is not that interesting.  I drive for DoorDash a few times a month.  I have been a stay-at-home Dad for a while, and wanted to make some extra money for the household and have my time to get OUT of said household.   :-D  I would prefer to do Rover, but I don't think there has been great demand since not many vacations have been taken in the last year or so - AND a lot of people working at home don't need someone to let the dog out at lunchtime.

It has been a decent enough gig for me.  It took a little while to figure out how to maximize income, and you cannot argue with the flexibility it offers. 

Now if I could parlay this money into getting a pizza oven and a pellet smoker to sell pizzas and some BBQ in the neighborhood, that would be the preverbal gravy!

Offline barryvabeach

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 08:31:15 PM »
barryvabeach,

thanks for that above post of yours.  It contributed to me changing my mind about getting an after-market door.

EDIT:  What are your thoughts an at least using an after-market flame guard for the Koda 16, for example?  In your opinion, should that be ok to use?

I don't see any  safety issues with using a flame guard -    I don't have any opinion on whether one would work, but I hope to make one soon and do some testing.

You are more than welcome.  I meant to add two things to my soapbox box - first, when I said don't believe everything you see on the internet, I meant to include my post as well,  check other sources to see if they agreem.  Second -  I am actually playing around with a door on mine, but I am trying to be sure I am still allowing lots of airflow - meaning the door only blocks part of the opening, and I am still doing testing.  One of the doors posted above seems to have an air gap at the bottom of the door.  While I am still experimenting, I am leaving an opening all along the top and part of the left side, since the issue with the 16, IMO, is the vast difference in temps between the left rear and right front.  On a 12 inch pie, it may not be that bad, but as you get in the 14 to 15 side, the temperature differential is pretty extreme.
Current Ovens  -  BS, Halo Versa 16
Mixers .   Electrolux ( ANK ) ,  Bosch Compact, IM-5S
Mills - Retsel, Lee .

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 11:42:45 AM »
Ooni replied to my question on a video of theirs where I asked about the temperature range for making NY's in the oven.

The Ooni Karu 16 Gas Burner has increased precision thanks to the fully insulated oven body and mounted digital thermometer. The Gas Burner, and therefore temperature, can be controlled using the dial. The digital thermometer measures the ambient temperature within the oven, and cannot be 'set' specifically but our Engineers can confirm the Karu 16 Gas Burner can consistently cook at 250C (480F) for at least an hour straight when set at a lower flame.

When using your Koda, you can achieve a low and slow technique for NY-style pizzas by pre-heating your oven/stone to the maximum heat, before turning the flame right down or completely off. The residual heat will so the low and slow work for you!

They didn't answer my question, and they linked to a video explaining their low and slow method. Which is to get the stone really hot then turn off the oven and bake the pizza, turning the fire back on for a short while, in the end to get some color on the crust and cook the cheese.  Seems okay for 1 pizza, but still a work around. And if you're making 4 or 5 NY's you're going to waste a lot of time reheating the stone between bakes.

I'm still interested in getting it, but their response to me sounds like you won't be able to get a constant lower heat with it.

Offline Peter B

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 04:10:45 PM »
Ooni replied to my question on a video of theirs where I asked about the temperature range for making NY's in the oven.

The Ooni Karu 16 Gas Burner has increased precision thanks to the fully insulated oven body and mounted digital thermometer. The Gas Burner, and therefore temperature, can be controlled using the dial. The digital thermometer measures the ambient temperature within the oven, and cannot be 'set' specifically but our Engineers can confirm the Karu 16 Gas Burner can consistently cook at 250C (480F) for at least an hour straight when set at a lower flame.

When using your Koda, you can achieve a low and slow technique for NY-style pizzas by pre-heating your oven/stone to the maximum heat, before turning the flame right down or completely off. The residual heat will so the low and slow work for you!

They didn't answer my question, and they linked to a video explaining their low and slow method. Which is to get the stone really hot then turn off the oven and bake the pizza, turning the fire back on for a short while, in the end to get some color on the crust and cook the cheese.  Seems okay for 1 pizza, but still a work around. And if you're making 4 or 5 NY's you're going to waste a lot of time reheating the stone between bakes.

I'm still interested in getting it, but their response to me sounds like you won't be able to get a constant lower heat with it.

Are you confusing the Kari and the Koda?  Because my take from that response is that the Karu will be much easier to manage, whereas the Koda needs these hacks.