A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven  (Read 9795 times)

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New: Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Oven
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2022, 05:13:05 PM »
I just can't win, I wanted to pre-order a Karu 16 about 3 months ago, but ended up ordering a Roccbox because I was sure I wouldn't be able to get the Ooni until like March. Low and behold I could have gotten one in December fairly easily. And now I'm "stuck" with this Roccbox and a measly max 12" pizza :(

#1STWORLDPROBLEMS

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »
I just can't win, I wanted to pre-order a Karu 16 about 3 months ago, but ended up ordering a Roccbox because I was sure I wouldn't be able to get the Ooni until like March. Low and behold I could have gotten one in December fairly easily. And now I'm "stuck" with this Roccbox and a measly max 12" pizza :(

#1STWORLDPROBLEMS

Retail stores didn't get karu 16 until very recently. I noticed most retail stores that sell ooni only have the other models.

Apparently lowe's is starting to sell ooni in the stores.

Offline Ranger5oh

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2022, 12:53:08 PM »
The soot you see is from using lump oak to start the fire and get the oven up to about 350-400ļF before adding dried oak pieces.   The propane gas burner form Ooni has been shipped and is in route.  That shouldn't leave any soot whatsoever.

I am not having this soot issue that you are having. I have used mine several days, and I always start with lump and add some oak once it gets to 500+F. My window has stayed relatively clean and is definitely see through during baking.
Nom nom nom....

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2022, 03:26:37 PM »
Watching a couple vids it looks like Prohomecooks had a slight soot issue but cleaned it. You can see his door is covered in black soot on the inside. He must have figured out what he did wrong and corrected it.

Other people seems like no issues

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:45 PM »
https://youtu.be/7j_HBl9o1hI?t=330

This guy mentions at 5:33 that when he used charcoal/wood there was no soot like he was getting when he cooked purely on wood.

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2022, 05:53:42 PM »

The Dome looks great although a little pricey.  However, the company is no longer taking orders for this oven and so the Karu 16 wins on availability.  One can have the best product in the world but if you can't deliver, you lose.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 05:56:18 PM by Rainier42 »
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2022, 04:01:28 PM »
The Dome looks great although a little pricey.  However, the company is no longer taking orders for this oven and so the Karu 16 wins on availability.  One can have the best product in the world but if you can't deliver, you lose.

The Dome looks very cool, but damn pricey, and you still can't even get one lol. Gozney overcharges for everything, $50 for their IR gun which is identical to the $20 ones on Amazon.  $25 for their bench scraper which is, well a bench scraper.  Karu also wins IMHO on it being portable and still able to cook a pizza the same size as the Dome.  You're not moving the Dome by yourself unless it's on the cart with the wheels, or you're Brock Lesnar.

That said I suspect I'll have both in my backyard by the end of 2022 because I can't help myself lol. I really do like my Roccbox but I don't understand why Gozney fanboys talk about it like it's some miracle. The pizzas that come out of it aren't any different than the ones that came out of my Koda 12, which was almost $200 less.  I'd love to see the Dome at $1400. But seeing how it's sold out, and the next batch of them are already sold out. And the batch after that will probably be sold out before they even ship. I doubt Gozney feels they need to drop the price lol.

Offline Rainier42

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »
The Dome looks very cool, but damn pricey, and you still can't even get one lol. Gozney overcharges for everything, $50 for their IR gun which is identical to the $20 ones on Amazon.  $25 for their bench scraper which is, well a bench scraper.  Karu also wins IMHO on it being portable and still able to cook a pizza the same size as the Dome.  You're not moving the Dome by yourself unless it's on the cart with the wheels, or you're Brock Lesnar.

That said I suspect I'll have both in my backyard by the end of 2022 because I can't help myself lol. I really do like my Roccbox but I don't understand why Gozney fanboys talk about it like it's some miracle. The pizzas that come out of it aren't any different than the ones that came out of my Koda 12, which was almost $200 less.  I'd love to see the Dome at $1400. But seeing how it's sold out, and the next batch of them are already sold out. And the batch after that will probably be sold out before they even ship. I doubt Gozney feels they need to drop the price lol.

Yes to everything you've said.  From the video, it does appear the Dome gives you a little more room to load/turn your pizza.  However, the finished product looks the same. 
Simone family eating chant:  Mangia mangia mangia, can mangia no more then mangia some more!

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2022, 04:19:59 AM »
Yes to everything you've said.  From the video, it does appear the Dome gives you a little more room to load/turn your pizza.  However, the finished product looks the same.

It seems with how big it is, they could have figured a way to make it so it could've cooked a true 18" NY pie. If any company ever releases a sub $2k gas powered pizza oven that can make an 18" it'll be a 100% buy for me.  The Dome looks gigantic and it weighs like 170lbs but unless you want to cook 2 really tiny pizzas you're going to max out at same size pizza as the Karu. I know some of the super nice brick ovens you can do an 18" and they have gas options. But I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one, and maybe another body part to get the gas add-on lol.  You mention the extra space in the Dome for turning pizzas and I probably shouldn't downplay that. I went from a Koda 12 to a Roccbox, and the 1st thing I noticed was the stone was an inch smaller in the Roccbox and it was way more difficult for me to launch and turn my pizzas.

And I won't be using that video to help me decide which to buy 1st. I'm convinced Vito could make a better looking pizza in a crappy home oven than me going 100% in my Roccbox lol.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:29:59 AM by Quebert »

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2022, 09:38:34 PM »

Ooni did that too. They were reselling in the UK those solentplastics gray pizza trays at more than double the price. I don't even believe they were ooni branded.

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2022, 06:28:19 PM »
It seems with how big it is, they could have figured a way to make it so it could've cooked a true 18" NY pie. If any company ever releases a sub $2k gas powered pizza oven that can make an 18" it'll be a 100% buy for me.  The Dome looks gigantic and it weighs like 170lbs but unless you want to cook 2 really tiny pizzas you're going to max out at same size pizza as the Karu. I know some of the super nice brick ovens you can do an 18" and they have gas options. But I'd have to sell a kidney to be able to afford one, and maybe another body part to get the gas add-on lol.  You mention the extra space in the Dome for turning pizzas and I probably shouldn't downplay that. I went from a Koda 12 to a Roccbox, and the 1st thing I noticed was the stone was an inch smaller in the Roccbox and it was way more difficult for me to launch and turn my pizzas.

And I won't be using that video to help me decide which to buy 1st. I'm convinced Vito could make a better looking pizza in a crappy home oven than me going 100% in my Roccbox lol.

In order to cook a large pizza you need a large door opening. Companies either want a no door oven for ease of use or an oven with a door, and 18 inches is quite big.

The average delivery pizza is 14" so even 16" is quite big.

Places that make "NY" style outside of NY that I've eaten at across america usually don't do 18 inches even.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:30:11 PM by mosabrina »

Offline spresso

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2022, 11:34:25 AM »
So, the gas (propane) burner arrived a couple weeks ago and just did my 2nd bake, 9 pies total, using it.  Per a couple YouTube videos of same I was expecting it to get to Neapolitan bake temp in 20-minutes or so but, so far, it takes 45-minutes on high setting to get to 775/800F.   But the bakes were really good and much easier to manage oven temp than wood.

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2022, 01:24:06 PM »
In order to cook a large pizza you need a large door opening. Companies either want a no door oven for ease of use or an oven with a door, and 18 inches is quite big.

The average delivery pizza is 14" so even 16" is quite big.

Places that make "NY" style outside of NY that I've eaten at across america usually don't do 18 inches even.

LOL I know what I want's totally unrealistic and won't ever be made.   I think my only workaround would be to get a Karu 16 or dome, then open an 18" ball, and cut it into 6 slices. Then make individual slices and bake them each.  I love slices so big they hang a little bit off a regular sized plate.  And even a 16" pizza won't give you slices that big.  I should be able to fit maybe 3 of these slices in a Karu 16 at the same time.  I need to get a Karu 16 1st, which is on my buy list for the near future. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:25:51 PM by Quebert »

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »
Just cut it like this:

Instagram @hans_michigan. The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings. -Brian Spangler

Offline mosabrina

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2022, 10:36:54 PM »
lmao I do that all the time with my 12" pizza stone in my oven at home haha. But my stone is 12x15 so I could made oval pizzas and gotten 3 slices? I have to try now

Offline Quebert

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2022, 12:50:31 AM »
Just cut it like this:

Whaaat the?  That's actually pretty damn genius, definitely need to try it in my Roccbox until I'm able to get my Karu 16. I bet a 16" cut like that would make absolutely ginormous slices.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2022, 01:06:24 AM »
I'll take the edge cuts!!!
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline ptix

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2022, 06:57:41 PM »
Am I seeing correctly - AP Appliances is offering the oven for a short term flash sale for $68 ???????????????????

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2022, 07:29:56 PM »
Am I seeing correctly - AP Appliances is offering the oven for a short term flash sale for $68 ???????????????????

Got a link to this?

I'd pull the trigger immediately
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco