A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonight's Pie by Glutenboy  (Read 217174 times)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
Re: Tonight's Pie by Glutenboy
« Reply #640 on: November 21, 2019, 11:28:48 PM »
Good looking pizza, Grease Wheel. During the bake, then, the pizza stays put on the bottom tile? That is, you never place it on the top stone, correct? Approximately how long was your bake? Thank you.
-Tony

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #641 on: November 21, 2019, 11:37:44 PM »
Good looking pizza, Grease Wheel. During the bake, then, the pizza stays put on the bottom tile? That is, you never place it on the top stone, correct? Approximately how long was your bake? Thank you.
Those pies are what I strive for. They are ideal! (Edited to say except for the foliage, lol.)

I use foil in my electric, home oven.

Oven Floor: Bake element.

Bottom rack: Tile deck and supports for top stones.

Next rack up: No rack, top stones.

Next rack up: Foiled, shiny side up.

My IRT reads 725į F on the deck and 630į F on the top stones.

Such gives me the heat environment I need for a great pie with a well treated top. Taking advantage is my charge. I'll keep trying.

Yeah, I just realized I have the same question as foreplease.  Do you move the pie from the bottom stone to the top one directly under the foil at some point?
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline Grease Wheel

« Reply #642 on: November 22, 2019, 12:26:56 AM »
Glutenboy & foreplease,

TY for the nice words.

My oven is 20 years old. Last month I had to replace the bake element. Its thermostat is recalibrated to plus 35į.

The foil is my notion that I can protect the thermostat allowing the oven to pump out more heat. One time I flipped the foil to shiny side down and that seemed to deliver too much top heat, so the foil is def in the mix. I never didn't use top stones so don't know how foil direct reflect would effect a bake.

The 250 gram dough ball ~12" pies bake for 5.5 minutes. They stay in a pan and on the deck for the entire ride. On pizza day the oven door opens and closes just once.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:37:12 AM by Grease Wheel »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #643 on: February 26, 2020, 10:55:52 PM »
Been a while.  I've been hand kneading lately because my KA Pro was on the fritz.  It was a good experience to get a new feel for the dough, but I finally took apart the mixer, replaced a couple of parts, cleaned out the transmission and the connections, replaced the grease, and hoped for the best.  Thanks, YouTube!  Runs better than when I bought it 12 years ago.  I made a nice batch of dough, adding the flour gradually, letting the the dough hook work it as much as possible.  It came out very silky and rose well on the counter.  I decided to ball it and refrigerate it with no oil and then degas and re-ball it the next day.  Why?  Because it's what I used to do when I was starting out, and I wanted to get back to basics.  Everything worked out okay, but all in all not the best idea I ever had.  When I re-balled the dough, I pinched the bottoms of the reformed dough balls to seal them, and this created an unevenness that I have had to deal with as I stretch the skins.  The dough was nice and strong, so I was able to work around the issue, but it's a pain keeping the thin spots thick and getting the thick spots thin.  On the bright side, I got a very nice rim at 3 and 4 days which may have something to do with reforming the dough, but if I'm going to pursue re-balling, I'll have to develop a better technique.  I don't remember this problem coming up when I was doing it back in the day, but I have a feeling my yeast content is a lot lower than it was then.  Maybe that has something to do with it.  The pizza in the pic is from the same batch of dough.  At 6 days old, it didn't give me the same bubbly cornice as a couple of days earlier, but the flavor was great.  My other change was slicing my mushrooms wafer thin and sauteing them until they actually got some color.  They were very good.  I'm trying to cut my toppings thinner so they don't overpower the basic ingredients.  Tomatoes were Jersey Fresh.  Nice to drop by and catch up on everyone's amazing creations!

- GB  :chef:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:08:22 PM by Glutenboy »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #644 on: February 27, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
I took out the heat sensor, so the flames never cut out.  Then I replaced the door seal with fiberglass rope coated in RTV silicone.  Itís my Frankensteinís monster.

Quote from: Glutenboy
I've been hand kneading lately because my KA Pro was on the fritz.  It was a good experience to get a new feel for the dough, but I finally took apart the mixer, replaced a couple of parts, cleaned out the transmission and the connections, replaced the grease, and hoped for the best.

^^Only on pizzamaking.com.^^ :-D :-D :-D

I salute you sir.

Rolls
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #645 on: February 28, 2020, 07:25:21 PM »
^^Only on pizzamaking.com.^^ :-D :-D :-D

I salute you sir.

Rolls

We are nothing if not resourceful.  :-D

Offline Kneadsdough

• Pizza nerds unite!
« Reply #646 on: April 07, 2020, 10:24:52 PM »
I love this recipe but am not very experienced so Iím not sure if this is common but here is a shot of the dough right out of the fridge on day 9. Is this what it is supposed to look like?

Offline Kneadsdough

• Pizza nerds unite!
« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2020, 10:28:40 PM »
Here it is in the Blackstone. Still not sure what temp is best but i tried it at 600 and I love the flavor in the crust! Thank you GB for making such a great recipe!

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #648 on: April 07, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »
I love this recipe but am not very experienced so Iím not sure if this is common but here is a shot of the dough right out of the fridge on day 9. Is this what it is supposed to look like?
I've never had one come out of the fridge with that much bubbling, but it looks great in the Blackstone; so all's well that ends well!  Glad you enjoyed it.

Offline Rdbrown27

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #649 on: May 06, 2020, 08:26:55 PM »
Glutenboy, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and a pizza genius.

First of all, I'm sure many people have said this but it's crazy how easy the dough is especially the ease: result ratio. It comes together easy and never fights you at any step from mixing to rise to how it damn near stretches itself.

Now to the pie: this was my last and by far best out of three balls- this was day 9. The previous two I stretched too thin trying to feed three kids and my wife (who is the Hawaiian lover of course, so it had to be done) and I with one pie. This time I smartly gave the kids hotdogs and did right by the pie.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #650 on: May 06, 2020, 09:38:21 PM »
Glutenboy, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and a pizza genius.

First of all, I'm sure many people have said this but it's crazy how easy the dough is especially the ease: result ratio. It comes together easy and never fights you at any step from mixing to rise to how it damn near stretches itself.

Now to the pie: this was my last and by far best out of three balls- this was day 9. The previous two I stretched too thin trying to feed three kids and my wife (who is the Hawaiian lover of course, so it had to be done) and I with one pie. This time I smartly gave the kids hotdogs and did right by the pie.

Thanks for the kind words.  The pizza looks fantastic.  And as far as the pineapple goes, happy wife, happy life!!!   :-D

Offline Jimmy1984

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #651 on: April 28, 2022, 06:25:27 PM »
GB, this is one of the greatest threads ever! I have recently been getting into Pizza baking, and followed your original recipe for two 15" pies. These were both 8-day doughs. So much flavor with this dough and great to work with.

I have a 15"x15"x1/2" pizza steel from the dough-joe that sits ~5.5" under my broiler (which can get a surface temp of 1500 deg. F)...after preheating at 525 for an hour, 5 min @ 525 followed by 2 min on broil. Came out great! Did one Hawaiian and one Olive/Mushroom/Hot Peppers/Fresh Garlic.

Big thank you for sharing your amazing recipe!