A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
Neapolitan Style / Re: Experiment
« Last post by wotavidone on Today at 05:14:51 AM »
Mick,

I look forward to the results you achieve using saltwater for your dough.

As background, you might find it interesting that seawater has an average salinity of about 3.5%:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater

Also, I recall reading about how Tony Gemignani made his acrobatics doughs. So, I did a search and found one of my old posts where I downsized the recipe that he used, and where I calculated a salt percent of 3.91%. That post is Reply 5 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1399.msg13697#msg13697

Peter
Yes Pete, we assayers say a standard seawater has a salinity of 35, actually a dimensionless unit.
What we are saying is a standard seawater, salinity 35, returns the same electrical conductivity as a solution of 32 g/L potassium chloride.
At least that's how I recall it. Could be wrong, it has been a long time and a lot of simple things are beginning to fade, these days.
Since the solutes are not just sodium chloride, common salt, notr potassium chloride, we can't say a standard seawater is actually 35 g/L.
Anyway. When you Add say 650 mLs of water and 25g of salt to a kilo of flour, we call it 65% and 2.5%. But it also means the water has 25 g salt per 650 mls. Which is 38g/L, which is near enough to seawater, which is why I wanted to try it.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by Jersey Pie Boy on Today at 12:51:32 AM »
Thanks! I've been using Tabor Bread.
https://www.taborbread.com/
.I see they just moved a few blocks, now at 44th & Belmont..they can also order 25# bags for pickup at their shop.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Smash burger
« Last post by Ischia on Yesterday at 11:51:12 PM »
One of my favorite things besides pizza. I cook these on my 3/8" steel over a Bayou burner.
I understand. Just wanted to raise the issue/possibility. Pizza places here get busier (for delivery) the worse the weather is - and we get dumped on with both rain and snow.

That was in the training videos i watched at pizzahut in about 1995.

Business goes up as weather gets worse.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by nicoturned13 on Yesterday at 11:14:16 PM »
Dinner tonight. Crumb shot of some leftover pizza I made on Wednesday.
I understand. Just wanted to raise the issue/possibility. Pizza places here get busier (for delivery) the worse the weather is - and we get dumped on with both rain and snow.

Until I got sick 5 years ago, I spent 22 years repairing, replacing, and maintaining athletic fields. Taking care of grass and infield dirt. When it rained a lot I was often very busy trying to get fields playable ASAP (same day). Several years prior to that I worked on 2 very good golf courses for 7 years. Same thing with rain there except that the grass was shorter, the people were more demanding, and we had bunkers (sand traps) to return to playable condition, instead of infield dirt, as soon as tees, fairways, and greens were made playable.

I’m encouraged by your narrowing your focus to the things that will probably matter most. Get ‘er up and going, get that ‘cash register’ ringing.
Off-Topic Foods / Re: Today's Bread
« Last post by qrkid on Yesterday at 11:12:15 PM »
Good looking crumb Jersey Pie Boy.

Where do you get your Camas Flours? I would like to try some but shipping from Eugene is more than the flour even though it is only a few hours away.
Dough Ingredients / Re: List of Sources of Flours and Related Information
« Last post by Jackitup on Yesterday at 11:07:30 PM »
I believe it is unbleached.
Pizza Ovens / Re: Consolidated Halo Topic
« Last post by BillCoplin on Yesterday at 10:54:40 PM »
2nd pizza night with the Halo still using Trader Joe’s dough but now using the Biscotto   16’ round 1 37/64" thick stone.  This thing is amazing.  Keeps bottom from burning yet cooks the top perfectly. Temp photos at 30 min, 45 min and 60 min. Pizzas took about 4.5 min to cook.  Tried 1 with a screen and the 2nd without.  Recovery time was negligible.  I cooked pizzas back to back with no issues.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - Daily Update
« Last post by kori on Yesterday at 10:45:21 PM »
I can see why they were a big hit! Look great Tony, I need to try this style sometime.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
wordpress