A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's  (Read 428137 times)

Offline P-dilla

• Can't live without it
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's
« Reply #720 on: December 25, 2020, 06:25:45 AM »
Thanks PizzaHog, I came across your recipe and let me say.....Right on the money. I did use a 60/40 on the Wisconsin Brick and Mozzarella from Bowers' Fancy Dairy at Eastern Market who has the best variety of cheese in the entire DC area.   Deeeelicious. I've had Lion's Tigers and Squares in NYC and Blue Pan in Denver, and my personal creation tasted better in MY OPINION, so I'm assuming Buddy's might be the best since your recipe is suppose to replicate it. I use Cento Crushed tomato with a splash of Paste, OO, and a few spices for my sauce.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 06:40:09 AM by P-dilla »

Offline sspiek

« Reply #721 on: January 02, 2021, 06:29:51 PM »
Haz anyone compared PizzaHogs post 199 recipe to the serious eats - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

Offline Pizza5050

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #722 on: January 16, 2021, 11:20:50 AM »
I have been using Kenji’s recipe for the last year. It was only yesterday that I decided to try the recipe on #199 and it was very tasty - more so than Kenji’s.  But, I did change 2 things that could have contributed to that,  I did a CF for about 14 hours (which made the dough super easy to stretch in the pan immediately) and used Crisco, and RT for 4 hours.  Baked for 16 minutes in a 60 minute preheated oven at 500, middle rack.  It had a nice crumb, and you can see the crisco bubbling on the last photo

But here is where I need help:  for some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to “cover” the Floyd Pan with a silicone mat (vs plastic wrap) and the dough rose, but not high enough. I am wondering if there wasn’t enough fresh h2o in the pan.  The dough wasn’t even 1 inch high.  Tasty, but not what I know it to be, being from Michigan.   And I did the same thing with Kenji’s recipe, and that didn’t rise enough either.

Suggestions anyone?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:47:19 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #723 on: January 17, 2021, 09:21:37 AM »
After stretching the dough in the pan, try letting it rise in the oven with just the light on (no heat). 
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline Pizza5050

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #724 on: January 17, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
Thanks - I will give that a try!

Offline u4ea

• I Love Pizza!
Re: "Detroit Style" - Buddy's or Shield's Mine is Loui's Style!
« Reply #725 on: February 23, 2021, 08:06:32 PM »
Hi,
This is my first post, but I am after the holy grail of Loui's Detroit style pizza.

I have been working on and experimenting for a while and now I am sharing.

Let me know what you think and i can provide the ingredients Etc.

Thanks!

u4ea
  :D

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #726 on: February 24, 2021, 07:04:14 PM »
That looks good to me. I’m somewhat surprised at the nice browning you were able to get with what appears to be an aluminum pan. However you did it, it looks fine. Welcome to the forum and thanks for a great first post.
-Tony

Offline u4ea

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #727 on: February 25, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
That looks good to me. I’m somewhat surprised at the nice browning you were able to get with what appears to be an aluminum pan. However you did it, it looks fine. Welcome to the forum and thanks for a great first post.

Thanks Tony! I baked it at 350 F for about 20 minutes on the bottom rack, I find if I bake it at  400-500 F and not on the bottom rack the middle is still doughy and not cooked enough. BTW, it was an aluminum pan but I just bought a steel pan unfortunately it's steel colored and not blue. Are there any more Loui's fans out there looking for the "Loui's holy grail" ?
Looking forward to other Detroit style pizza connoisseurs posts.  :chef:
Have a great day!
u4ea

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #728 on: February 25, 2021, 01:09:21 PM »
I have a couple of pans that look like aluminum but are actually aluminized steel. Their results are much better than all aluminum, more like the pictures.  u4ea does a magnet stick to your pan?
Marty

Offline u4ea

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #729 on: February 25, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »
Yes it does!
I thought it was aluminum, but it's at least partially iron/steel!
Great catch Marty!
Who knew?
 :o

wordpress