A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Smiling with Hope Pizza for sale  (Read 1990 times)

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
Re: Smiling with Hope Pizza for sale
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2022, 01:40:41 PM »
Walter it might be too early to ask this... but after the sale are you going to "return" to pizzamaking.com and share your experiences with pizza making and other baking in your home oven?   Or is loosing the Blodgetts too much to continue?

Good question.  I am not sure what will happen with my pizza making drive.  The shop has consumed us.  Last week we went to Lake Tahoe for the first time for diner on the lake. We took our shoes off and got our feet wet too.  It is only 3/4 of an hour from here but our one day off gets eaten up. For the past few months, we have 2 off and that is what inspired us to go to the lake.  It is one of the few non pizza things we have done in the almost 7 years since this journey began.
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 09:09:21 AM »
Whoever buys the place had better take notes furiously and take every ounce of training they get with deadly seriousness. Everybody and their brother thinks they can buy a restaurant and keep it going successfully. All too often, this is not the case. It takes a special kind of person to do what it takes- specifically the kind that can keep the ball rolling and not try to "improve" the place with dumb ideas. You've built what will undoubtedly be a tough act to follow. Much happiness to you and your wife in your retirement.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »
Whoever buys the place had better take notes furiously and take every ounce of training they get with deadly seriousness. Everybody and their brother thinks they can buy a restaurant and keep it going successfully. All too often, this is not the case. It takes a special kind of person to do what it takes- specifically the kind that can keep the ball rolling and not try to "improve" the place with dumb ideas. You've built what will undoubtedly be a tough act to follow. Much happiness to you and your wife in your retirement.

Thanks :)  The new owner can video all I do and have a reference library.  That is a good side of technology.

Offline Elchimi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2022, 03:03:00 PM »
Walter, all the best to you!
I hope you keep selling the pans?

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2022, 03:39:07 PM »
Walter, all the best to you!
I hope you keep selling the pans?

Thanks, and yes, we are going to keep making the pans.  No end in sight on that one.  It puts gas in our cars :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 02:56:54 AM »
Walter,

Best of everything in selling your and Judy's pizzeria!  Have a great retirement!!

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 11:47:45 AM »
Walter,

Best of everything in selling your and Judy's pizzeria!  Have a great retirement!!

Norma

Thanks Norma!  We have learned a lot about retirement from you and are looking forward to it. Walter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2022, 12:20:55 PM »
Walter,

I echo the good wishes of the other members who have posted. It is good that you and Judy are still young as retirees and able to do a lot of interesting and fun things before age creeps up to you. And you always have your music to keep you engaged.

In my case, I was fortunate when I retired to get a pension as part of my retirement package, and that made the economics of retirement much easier and less worrisome. These days, fewer than 15% of companies now offer pension programs and that number is shrinking. However, the plans are still offered to municipal employees.

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 01:38:31 PM »
Thanks Peter.  Like you, we both have pensions from working in schools.  I am not sure we are young retirees though.  I am 65 and Judy 69, and being hands on pizzeria owners, that is old :-D

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2022, 02:15:02 PM »
Thanks Peter.  Like you, we both have pensions from working in schools.  I am not sure we are young retirees though.  I am 65 and Judy 69, and being hands on pizzeria owners, that is old :-D
The woman who owns the pizzeria I work at is 75 years old, and really needs to retire. She took over the place 40 years ago when her husband died young of a heart attack, and she's been there ever since, all the time. I really want to see her finally retire, but I don't want to get in the middle of her business and tell her what she should or shouldn't do. She's treated me better than any other boss I've ever had. I don't make a lot of money there, but I'm doing what I want to be doing, and in a lot of ways it's like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for me, after over 30 years of other jobs that didn't feel nearly as good to show up for every day. If I had the money, I'd just buy the place and let her be done. It's sad to think about for me, but I guess there's really nothing I can do about it.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
Walter,

As you may know, average life expectancies have been increasing for years, so there is still a lot of room for you and Judy to do a lot. Hopefully, you will not have to return to the workforce at any time following your official retirement. I have read countless articles about how retirees have done just that, and are increasingly doing that, for a wide variety of reasons. Sometimes that has been a good thing but often it is not, as this article, including the several links, make clear:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2022/07/22/older-americans-go-back-to-work-in-next-frontier-of-labor-force

Peter

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2022, 04:04:18 PM »
Walter,

As you may know, average life expectancies have been increasing for years, so there is still a lot of room for you and Judy to do a lot. Hopefully, you will not have to return to the workforce at any time following your official retirement. I have read countless articles about how retirees have done just that, and are increasingly doing that, for a wide variety of reasons. Sometimes that has been a good thing but often it is not, as this article, including the several links, make clear:

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2022/07/22/older-americans-go-back-to-work-in-next-frontier-of-labor-force

Peter

I sure hope we live many more years :)   We are keeping our pan business and i may hit farmers markets with our cookies, salad dressing, and pans.  Judy is a great financial person and assures me we have plenty to live till we die. 

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »
The woman who owns the pizzeria I work at is 75 years old, ...If I had the money, I'd just buy the place and let her be done. It's sad to think about for me, but I guess there's really nothing I can do about it.
Think about just talking to her in a way that does not come off as pushy or meddling.  I would let her know that you would love to take over/buy the business if and when she ever thought of retiring/selling.  I would share how you feel that she has treated you well, and that you would like to keep her legacy alive with her recipes, etc in the business.

You never know what she may be willing to do to make it happen for you.  Also good to let her know you are interested before another 3rd party may put an idea or two in her mind.

... just some ol' guy thoughts.
All the best, Dave

Offline caymus

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2022, 07:17:29 PM »
Walter,

I echo the good wishes of the other members who have posted. It is good that you and Judy are still young as retirees and able to do a lot of interesting and fun things before age creeps up to you. And you always have your music to keep you engaged.

In my case, I was fortunate when I retired to get a pension as part of my retirement package, and that made the economics of retirement much easier and less worrisome. These days, fewer than 15% of companies now offer pension programs and that number is shrinking. However, the plans are still offered to municipal employees.

Peter

Of the few private sector pensions remaining most are non-inflation adjusted annuities. A few years like this can vaporize the buying power.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 07:44:32 PM »
Of the few private sector pensions remaining most are non-inflation adjusted annuities. A few years like this can vaporize the buying power.
caymus,

What you say is correct. That also applies to Social Security. However, with respect to the CPI, because of the way I manage my personal affairs, my personal consumer price index is less than what is reported by the BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics).

I might also add that in my case I was forced to take a pension. I resisted it but was told that I had to take part of my retirement package as a pension because I retired early, and the law said that I had to take a pension. I was able, however, to invest the rest of my retirement package. But, in retrospect, I was happy with the pension. Along with the pension, I also have Social Security and substantial dividend income that make me financially worry-free. And, because of my financial situation, I have been able to make annual tax-free gifts to my son and his family for many years.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2022, 10:28:24 PM »
Walter,

Peter

Back in the late 70s pensions took a nosedive as 401k plans began, shifting the responsibility of saving money for you from the company to the employee for the most part. And as a result, many delayed participating till later, and later resulting in little to no nestegg/fallback for many retirees. 401s are great, but as time went on and inflation etc, etc, too many started late or not at all! I tell EVERYONE nowadays, start those 401 plans early and stuff money into them and never stop or pause!

Break a leg Walter, hope you both enjoy yourselves, you guys earned it!!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 10:36:59 PM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”-----------Mark Twain

"If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve."---------The Root Beer Lady

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."---------Muhammad Ali

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2022, 11:17:31 PM »
Think about just talking to her in a way that does not come off as pushy or meddling.  I would let her know that you would love to take over/buy the business if and when she ever thought of retiring/selling.  I would share how you feel that she has treated you well, and that you would like to keep her legacy alive with her recipes, etc in the business.

You never know what she may be willing to do to make it happen for you.  Also good to let her know you are interested before another 3rd party may put an idea or two in her mind.

... just some ol' guy thoughts.
She has a son that works there, but I don't think he really understands that it's time to step up and offer to take over her role. I don't want to take over the business myself anyway. I want my own place. I don't know how that's going to happen, but that's my goal.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2022, 06:53:01 AM »
Thanks Norma!  We have learned a lot about retirement from you and are looking forward to it. Walter

Walter,

Thanks for saying Judy and you learned some from me about retirement, and glad both of you are looking forward to it. 

I think I knew when it was time to try to sell my small stand.  It was all getting to be too much, working in the heat of summer, with no air conditioning, to the long cold winters with no heat.  Since I also was the only pizza maker and person that did a lot to keep the stand running, that also took a toll on me, when getting older.

I am busy now working on my place, but can do it at my own pace.  It's kinda strange, but I really don't miss making pizza's, but that might change someday, when I get all of remodeling done at my home and also the two sheds.  I have two pizza ovens waiting for me to try them.  I just tell them be patient.   :-D  I might even change my mind about trying them someday.  Time will tell.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2022, 08:49:30 PM »
We are looking forward to joining your ranks Norma  :)  We are going to be on 2 news channels this week so had to get my hair cut - haven't had it cut in about 6 months.  Vinnie, my barber, who cuts it at our shop, was burried with a new business he started, so I got it cut by a  Hells Angel - no lie - who is super excited to try our pizza. I will miss this kind of stuff.

Offline waltertore

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2022, 05:38:57 PM »
It has been a whirlwind week since we put the pizzeria up for sale.  A dozen potential buyers including some famous people in the culinary world. We were on one news channel today and got interviewed by another channel today that will air next week.  People that are regular customers have come in crying and thanking/hugging us.  Very emotional week so far.