A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Sicilian Pan: Purchased a WINCO thinking it was an ALLIED METAL pan  (Read 1460 times)

Offline The Pontificator

Yesterday I received a black steel Sicilian-style non-stick pan from Bari Restaurant and Pizza Supply.

I thought I was purchasing an Allied Metal Spinning "Black Buster" pan but have since learned the pan is actually made by Winco. 

Reviews on Amazon of these pans are mediocre at best. Lots of complaints that they cannot handle high heat and that the non-stick coating flakes off.

I have since located 2 retail sources for Allied pans (Amazon and Kerekes/Bake Deco) but whoa...the prices.  :o

Anyway...what kind of performance can expect from this pan? If you love yours or you hate it feel free to chime in.

(as a side note years ago I gave away two square "black beauty" pans and now I could kick myself for doing that. Have discovered that Allied no longer makes them just the 'buster' pans)
When's the last time you ate a salad?

Offline john_k

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sicilian Pan: Purchased a WINCO thinking it was an ALLIED METAL pan
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 09:09:51 PM »
I just received mine today from amazon and sent it back immediately as there were two good-sized chunks of the non-stick coating missing. I am looking for non-nonstick steel pans myself, and so far I am landing on Paderno.

I am intrigued by "aluminized steel" and wonder if that can substitute well for 'black steel" or "blue steel" (i.e. non-nonstick, non-stainless, non-cast iron steel)

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 10:10:02 PM »
I've been using Winco Sicilian pans for DECADES. Bought my first one in 1988 and it's still going strong. I currently own three, but have had as many as 7 at a time and have given a bunch to nieces, nephews, friends, coworkers. Use them at least twice a month, and have been doing 2-3 pizza parties a year (anywhere from 8-15 pizzas each) for my church's youth group.

I typically bake Sicilian pizza at 450, but have experimented with other styles and foods at up to 600-625 with no ill effects. I've scratched the coating on a pan prior to the first bake (maybe the heat sets it?), but never had it flake, even along the edge of the scratches. (I actually tried stripping the coating on one a couple of years ago. Heat and chemical strippers had no effect; took off about 30% with a belt sander and a fresh clog-resistant belt over a couple of hours before I gave up.) I've attached a couple of pics of my 1998 pan: yeah, the bottom coating shows some wear and tear at the corners and along the outside edges, but its held up pretty darn well for 30-some years of use!

Offline The Pontificator

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 07:56:34 AM »
Megan45:

Thank you for this information. I will give this pan an honest try first and reserve judgement before discounting it.

At some point I'll likely purchase an Allied "Black Buster" pan(s) but not right now. Good grief they're expensive.

Yeah, I remember exactly when I last purchased Sicilian pans...it was back in '94 and a restaurant supply store in West Columbia, SC had a giant stack of Allied Black Beauty pans in 15 x 15. Soaked in kerosene and individually wrapped in plastic. Stunk up the house doing the initial seasoning. That supply store is long out of business. What was I thinking giving them away?
When's the last time you ate a salad?

Offline megan45

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 09:27:26 AM »
While the coating is non-stick, it's not teflon/pfte non-stick, I would highly recommend oiling/greasing (bacon grease for the win) the pan prior to each use (and wiping it down afterwards) because it helps with the release. I typically get better results with solid rendered fats/shortening than oil: I suspect it's because the some/most of the oil gets absorbed into the dough during the pan rise. (And the oil/grease helps crisp the shell of the crust which enhances the textural contrast between the outer and inner crusts.)

Offline Rob_from_Lil_Nonnas

• I Love Pizza!
I just recently ordered some new Allied 16x16 BB pans. I've been using these and Winco pans for quite a while, but they are all second hand.

I've never seasoned a pan with a coating already on it... But I've heard suggestions of doing this with new Allied pans. I've seasoned plenty of non coated pans... Detroit style, cast iron, etc... Should I season these like I would those? Should I not season them at all?

I had switched over to Lloyd Sicilian pans, since I used and loved their Detroit style pans, but I've been unhappy with them and want to go back to the Allied.

Thanks!