A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Back to the forum after long absence, got me some AT, collecting recipes  (Read 601 times)

Offline OzPizza

• NY Slice lover living Down Under!
Hello All. It’s been along time, have missed you guys ;D

I put down the pizza peel for quite few years after I got together my now wife. Covid here has brought me back to pizza making though fortunately. Still nothing close to a legit NY Style pie in Sydney, despite some pretenders like ‘Epic Pizza’ , ‘Brooklyn Crispy’ and the almost ok ‘Frankie’s Pizza by the slice’. I finally have pulled the trusty Rollergrill (Equipex) out of storage and retired the KA pro for a new Kenwood KWL90 with a heap of power, dough proving and built in scale. Last week I landed 20lbs of the real deal AT bromated. So now I’m getting together right formulations to use. I don’t want use any of my old ones or KASL based ones, but some that people have used with AT specifically. Obviously I’m not at the mercy of home oven with the Equipex so I want to use recipes will suit ie I can't cook at up to 660F and oven is dedicated for 12-13" pizza . So far I’m looking at the Joe’s recipe thread as it sounds like really tasty pie (which I will try myself one day when we can finally travel again). As always I’m recreating the legit NY slice, not Neo Neapolitan (although my friend’s wood fire oven now lives at my farm) as we have some absolute gun legit local Italian pizzaiolas making awesome pies. I may potentially end up also investing in my good mates fledgling pizza chain, Johnny Gio’s and have told him of my penchant for true NY Style(which aligns to their style). So my own work in bringing back my own pizzas might actually translate to something beyond.

Enough with all that, let’s talk recipes :). This the one I’m looking at basing some dough on: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=66137.msg650003#msg650003

If anyone has some other AT formulations to try it would be much appreciated!

« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:25:41 PM by OzPizza »
OG NY Slice lover since the 80's. Still living in the hope of buying a decent NY Slice in Oz some day!

Offline chrisgraff

• I Love Pizza!
AT flour is my preferred flour for this recipe.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59406.0

Offline OzPizza

AT flour is my preferred flour for this recipe.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=59406.0

Nice one, thanks for sharing your one Chris. I notice you're cooking in a standard oven at like 510f, which is are fair bit lower than my usual 550f+ I can easy do in the Equipex oven. Perhaps that's why you're adding the malt. Might not be quite the formula I want to test with my set up and temp capabilities (660F) I'm thinking.
OG NY Slice lover since the 80's. Still living in the hope of buying a decent NY Slice in Oz some day!

Offline OzPizza

Re: Back to the forum after long absence, got me some AT, collecting recipes
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 09:31:30 PM »
I was really happy with the resulting pies from my efforts using the Joe's formulation. I only did 24hr CF, which isn't the norm for me but I was really keen to try this dough and it seems that does suit this formula. Next I've gone back to a more standard formula to make some pies tonight (no sugar, but has oil etc). I've definitely reignited my passion and am even entertaining purchasing the newer version of my Equipex oven that can handle a 16" pie and has the bottom temp adjust that can be perfectly dialed to heat the stone to NY Style spec.

I will say these forums seem a lot quieter these days. I hope this one isn't also succumbing to the trend of people lazily going to Facebook or Reddit (I can't stand the haphazard, every subject in the universe format) to talk about their hobbies (with all random commenters) like I've seen with a couple of other enthusiast forums.

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 09:19:15 PM »
2 of my last nights efforts. Tradition NY dough formulation, EVOO, but no sugar. One cooked slightly hotter around 590-600F, second one done at tradition circa 550F temp (check with non contact thermometer). I'm definitely preferring the lower temp with the AT and formula, 2nd pie nailed it for me.

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 01:10:19 AM »
Looks like I'm really and truly back in the swing of things. I took the plunge and upgraded ovens from my trusty little Rollergrill PZ 330 to the newer PZ 430. Getting ready for my next cook of some decent sized 16" - 17" pies finally. Will be good to total control of the lower heating with it's 1-9 scale setting, should allow me to get the base truly optomised, not that I've had any real complaints previously. I also have discovered two more types of Mutti brand pre-made sauces in jars that I'm going to check out which could have potential.

I will say though things do seem a lot more quiet on the forums here these days. It's definitely not as dire as the old Ministry of Rum forums but very minimal compared to some of the other places I participate in like AVSForum.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 01:12:46 AM by OzPizza »

Offline dmaclaren

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 08:44:50 AM »
I wish I could get an oven shipped to the US, none want to do it that I have asked
Don.

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 08:40:33 AM »
I wish I could get an oven shipped to the US, none want to do it that I have asked

Really, I’ve seen a heap of stuff online from the US distributors of Equipex and also several retailers? They’re fully distributed in North America. There’s even US made video brochures etc on it on YouTube etc. Here’s one for sale retail I just googled up as an example in stock and selling for basically same as what mine cost me here: https://www.restaurantequipmentsolutions.com/EQPX-PZ-430S.html
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:42:12 AM by OzPizza »