A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: .075 TF?  (Read 282 times)

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
.075 TF?
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »
If someone starts a dough recipe with .075 TF what does that mean? I understand the bakerís percentages that follow but unsure of what amount of flour this number represents. Help.
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: .075 TF?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 02:33:23 PM »
If someone starts a dough recipe with .075 TF what does that mean? I understand the bakerís percentages that follow but unsure of what amount of flour this number represents. Help.
I reckon that'll be the thickness factor. I can't explain it, because I've never bothered to research what it means. For me it falls under the heading of too much boffinatin' . i.e. over-thinking the process.
But others care about it, I believe it is considered very important when considering the appropriate amount of dough for replicating various styles.
There's a calculator on the forum somewhere.
Mick

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 02:52:05 PM »
333meg,

As Mick (wotavidone) knows all too well, I am a naturally born boffin ;D. So, the thickness factor, which I named, is one of those topics where I have opined quite a bit over the years. The technical name for what I call the thickness factor is dough loading factor. That designation was attributed to the late Tom Lehmann. And he stuck to that designation. I coined the thickness factor expression because I did not want our members to get glassy eyed and be turned off by the highly technical expression "loading factor". Tom stated that he did not like the thickness factor expression that I came up with and refused to use it instead of dough loading factor ;D.

Now that I am done boffinatin', at least for now, you might take a look at the post, including the enclosed links, at Reply 1 at:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=7357.msg63487#msg63487

Peter

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 05:14:44 PM »
Parmigiano-Reggiano doesn't come in a green box!   - Chef Jean-Pierre

Offline 333meg

• Surprisingly pizza obsession has not made me fat.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 12:42:15 PM »
Peter- Thank you for boffinatiní wih me.

Thanks Rolls for the chart. This is what I needed!
Pursuing pizza has put me into an airplane, in a car and on road trips of hundreds of miles...

Offline Peter B

• Supporting Member
  • This is a marathon-not a sprint
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 02:41:35 PM »
So, the thickness factor, which I named, is one of those topics where I have opined quite a bit over the years.

HA!  I had no idea that was something you came up with, and you spawned tons of people here to use the TF acronym like it is pro-speak.  That's awesome!
I said to my little one, "come here so I can change you".
He said "change only comes from within".  :-/

wordpress