A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Some Clarity on Peter Reinhart's Panning Technique  (Read 217 times)

Online jumpsuit23

• I Love Pizza!
Some Clarity on Peter Reinhart's Panning Technique
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:35:35 PM »
I just read through Reinhart's book , The Perfect Pan Pizza and really enjoyed it. However, the thing that confused me was he had indicated that the panning could be done for the dough either the day of or the day before the bake. The recipes never really address how you would go about panning the day before. Would you pan the dough, store in fridge until the next day, take out and bake? And would I need to proof the dough still after taking it out of the fridge and if so, for how long? Sorry for all the questions, I just would like to make pizza on week nights too and my work schedule would not accommodate the hours indicated in the recipes for panning and proofing same day.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Some Clarity on Peter Reinhart's Panning Technique
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 08:20:11 PM »
I can't speak to what Peter Reinhart meant, but I try not to use pizza dough directly out of the fridge. It tends to get big air bubbles. I've only done a Detroit style pizza panned and put in the fridge once. I left it out on the counter a few hours before baking. Worked well.

Online jumpsuit23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:48:23 PM »
Yeah. I was hoping he'd go into a little more detail about panning the day before. With his Detroit style pizza variation he puts a layer of cheese on top of the dough before proofing at room temp so that the dough envelopes the first cheese layer. Wondering if I should do this step before I put it in the fridge for the night or after I take it out of the fridge to come to room temp, before the oven.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 10:46:11 PM »
I don't think it would really matter too much, but make sure everything is covered in the fridge. You don't want to form a skin on the dough.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 11:58:51 PM »
Iím not a fan of any of Reinhartís pizza books.  Heís spread a LOT of misinformation on pizzamaking in his books that heís never corrected.  Pizza is clearly not his wheelhouse.  Iíll save that rant for another time.

Assuming that his yeast quantities are similar to the formulations in American  Pie, I would suggest taking it out of the fridge, let it sit for an hour at room temp, stretch into the pan and let it proof for another hour.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress