A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: I want to try a higher hydration dough  (Read 734 times)

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
I want to try a higher hydration dough
« on: March 05, 2021, 05:08:07 PM »
Hi,

I'm currently using 60% hydration in my formula but I'd like to make some experimentations to see how my dough would be if I up my hydration to something like 64%

I'm concerned about some things.

- Will the dough stick more to the peel with a higher hydration ? (I suppose so)
- Will the dough tear more easily when stretching ? (I think it's something I have read somewhere..)

I usually do a cold ferment (5 days) and my dough is pretty gooey when I get it out the fridge the day of the pizza, with a higher hydration I'm afraid to have a super gooey dough...

I like my crust but I suppose I should try differents things in my formula (one change at a time) to see if I can even improve and get a better finished crust for my taste

From what I know 64% isn't a super high hydration either.

Basically I'm afraid to mess it up when stretching/launching...

In general I don't fail my stretching/launching with my current dough management, I'm a simple home pizza maker who cook 2 pizzas every week

I'm using a high gluten flour, I think it can handle a higher hydration but I've never tried anything higher than 60%..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 05:13:45 PM by schibetta »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: I want to try a higher hydration dough
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 06:17:54 PM »
- Will the dough stick more to the peel with a higher hydration ? (I suppose so)
Probably, but that's easy to get around. Build the pizza on the bench, transfer to the lightly-floured peel just before launch so iy doesn't have time to stick.
Plenty of you-tube vids show Italian pizzas done this way.

- Will the dough tear more easily when stretching ? (I think it's something I have read somewhere..)

Maybe, maybe not, Especially since you're only talking about going to 64% with high gluten flour.
5 day ferment is plenty of time for things to get weakened though.
Mick

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 09:03:09 PM »
Hi,

I'd say that it depends on the flour you're using. High gluten flour... Should be ok though. There's only one way to know that  ;D
If you want to play safe, add the remaining 4% using double hydration technique (bassinage), this way gluten structure will already be made (you can even go up to 80% like dough for pizza in teglia/pizza pala).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 01:31:45 PM »

I've regularly done doughs in the 64-67% range, you don't really have much to fear. Some flour on your work area when opening up the dough will have the surface where you need it, in fact I'd say be more careful about over-flouring. If the dough is tacky and wet you haven't floured enough, if it's sitting in a mountain of flour and your crust has that white floury residue when you finish baking then you way over-floured. I've never had problems working with it, I bring it up to room temp for maybe 1.5 hours before stretching and I hand toss them. Sure, they're more prone to ripping or tearing than a lower percentage dough if you're rough with it, but if you're gentle with it and it had time to build that gluten structure then you really don't have much to worry about - you can still get it very thin and uniform. I'd say you start running into real difficulties with handling at 68%+ but even there it's usually not something you couldn't solve by opening the dough up with a decent amount of flour on your bench.

If you're nervous that the pizza will stick to your peel and be difficult to launch, you could always do what some posters here do and open it up on a strip of parchment paper, put it in the oven on the parchment and then after a couple of minutes of baking, slide the parchment out from under the cooking pizza so it finishes resting on the steel or stone. I've read several people here who do this in lieu of a pizza peel with great results, and there's no worrying about how well a wet/tacky dough will transfer from a peel to the oven. If you have a peel it makes it even easier - build the pizza on parchment on your peel, then slide the pizza/parchment into the oven - that way you don't have to attempt to carry parchment and uncooked dough to the oven with it drooping/disforming, etc.

Also, as a basic precaution I'd echo what Yael and wotavidone mentioned and make sure your flour is high gluten (high protein) flour. The higher it is, the better gluten structure it will form, the more extensible it will be at any hydration. A low gluten/protein flour with high hydration might have a hard time holding itself together.

Offline schibetta

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 03:42:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've made my new dough with 64% water, it was a bit stickier when I had to ball it and then I put it in the fridge.

We'll see how well I'll be able to open it the day of the pizza.

I heard the youtuber Adam Ragusea say that pizza doughs have a better texture and flavor when it's really wet and sticky, it made me curious

I also saw a post on this forum that said that wet dough produces crispier bottom.

anyway I will see if I can detect a difference in my pizza between 60 and 64%

Offline AJ33

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »
To add to previous comments.

My doughs are 68% hydration. The key for me is to use a light touch and relatively quickly. I also use a decent amount of semolina rather than flour. I can and do make my pizzas once pulled on the peel, breaking the rules I know!

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 12:25:06 PM »
I'm curious if you bulk ferment cold for 5 days, or what your dough flow/method is.

Higher hydration is fun to play with, and I know you can do it! I just made an old dough recipe from a pile of notes, but it is only amounts and no other info. I guess I should try to calculate that, so I will know.  I hope you enjoy your 64%.

Hi,

I'm currently using 60% hydration in my formula but I'd like to make some experimentations to see how my dough would be if I up my hydration to something like 64%

I'm concerned about some things.

I usually do a cold ferment (5 days) and my dough is pretty gooey when I get it out the fridge the day of the pizza, with a higher hydration I'm afraid to have a super gooey dough...

I like my crust but I suppose I should try differents things in my formula (one change at a time) to see if I can even improve and get a better finished crust for my taste

From what I know 64% isn't a super high hydration either.

Basically I'm afraid to mess it up when stretching/launching...

In general I don't fail my stretching/launching with my current dough management, I'm a simple home pizza maker who cook 2 pizzas every week

I'm using a high gluten flour, I think it can handle a higher hydration but I've never tried anything higher than 60%..
Reesa

Offline donstavely

• Peace and Pizza
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 03:15:38 PM »
I do 65% hydration with KA bread flour as my standard recipe (2% salt, 1% sugar, 1% EVOO).  I don't have any trouble kneading or balling it - smooth and not sticky.  At RT it practically stretches itself by gravity.  I can dress it directly on the peel dusted with semolina and never had it stick. Give it a shake before and after you top it just to make sure it will launch easily.

My guess is that things get more difficult when you get to 68% or 70%, at least with a flour like this.

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 03:38:26 PM »
I also use a decent amount of semolina rather than flour.
In the dough, you mean?
I've been going with 80% 00, 20% fine semolina these days.
We like the flavour. Not sure how it came about, I think I just saw some in the shop for a good price and bought it on a whim.
I can and do make my pizzas once pulled on the peel, breaking the rules I know!
I can dress it directly on the peel dusted with semolina and never had it stick.
I dress 'em on the peel, unless I've somehow messed up and got the dough too wet.
I'm not really set up for sliding them on after dressing - especially when folks are looking for that Fat Aussie topping load its not s easy to do,
Mick

Offline AJ33

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 03:48:16 AM »
In the dough, you mean?
I've been going with 80% 00, 20% fine semolina these days.
We like the flavour. Not sure how it came about, I think I just saw some in the shop for a good price and bought it on a whim.I dress 'em on the peel, unless I've somehow messed up and got the dough too wet.
I'm not really set up for sliding them on after dressing - especially when folks are looking for that Fat Aussie topping load its not s easy to do,
Sorry, only just seen this. I will reply just in case it’s still useful for yourself or others.

With regards to the semolina, I don’t use any in the dough. I use it on the bench and on the peel to open out the dough balls and to launch it into the oven. I used to use a bit of flour but found it awkward to use and ended up using loads of it which would sometimes burn during cooking. It would also be left on the bottom and crust of the pizza effecting appearance and taste.

With semolina, it doesn’t burn during cooking (it will if you leave excess in the oven though), doesn’t stick to the dough, with most falling off after cooking. It is also much easier to launch with, like tiny balls for the pizza to slide on. I am very generous with how much I use.