A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza fermentation process.  (Read 369 times)

Offline CrustyCam

• Me like Pizza, Pizza good.
Pizza fermentation process.
« on: March 10, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »
I already know that I messed up. I haven't made pizza dough in a solid two years and yesterday was the first time I bit the bullet and tried to make some (detroit style). I looked at various recipes and methods online. I went with a 70ish percent dough: 2 cups of water and roughly 5.5 cups of flour, like a half a teaspoon of bloomed active dry yeast, and may a tablespoon and a half of course salt.

I understand that I need a scale, I actually have one, it just needs batteries, haha. I would love some advice on yeast and salt and sugar ratios for detroit style, but that's not my main problem:

I don't have a mixer, so I'm mixing everything by hand, which is fine. I failed to follow the most simple steps form this video "" I realize this isn't explicitly a detroit style pizza recipe, but I figured the mixing process is the same regardless. Instead of letting the dough rest for 10-20 minutes after it got shaggy I just added little bit of water. I now realize I should have put in the oil at that point, you live you learn. The biggest problem, though, is that it never got a ferment outside of the fridge. It was sooo dry that I just put oil on top at the end and put it immediately in the fridge.

What does this mean for the taste and texture of my pizza?

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: Pizza fermentation process.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 11:39:26 AM »
According to the King Arthur baking website 1 cup of all purpose flour is 120g. so 5,5 cups = 660g
2 cup water = 454g
So. hydration should have been 69% and no way should the dough have been dry.
Salt at the top end at 3.6%
I predict:
It's still going to rise. Not having had any RT ferment, its going to take a while longer.
It's going to taste better from the longer ferment.
Assuming no radical lack of water texture will be good but if it really is on the dry side you might want to watch how long you cook it for.
Mick

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »
Active dry yeast doesn't necessarily need to ferment outside of the fridge, it will just take longer in the fridge. If you're concerned just check your dough ball in its container (assuming you use a clear container and can see the bottom). If you see the nice little pockets of air being formed then you've got nothing to worry about. If the dough felt abnormally dry to you (which seems odd with a dough as high hydration as you were using) then just make sure to give it some time to get up to temperature before your bake. Most of the time a Detroit can be prepared like a Sicilian - put in an oiled pan, stretch, let it get up to room temp on the counter for 2 hours, then make sure it's stretched/seated well in the pan and start with your par bake or regular bake depending on your methods. I think you'll be fine.

Offline CrustyCam

• Me like Pizza, Pizza good.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:56:56 AM »
Thank you for your help! I think i just needed to let it rest and hydrate a bit longer? I was pretty impatient. When I would separate the dough it it looked hydrated, but everything on the outside was constantly covered in flour and it was really hard to make it one homogenous dough ball.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that I somehow am adding more flavor to my pizza for putting it into the fridge to ferment first, haha? If so, awesome! Does this mean I should let it sit longer than two days because it didn't have an RT ferment?

Offline texmex

• I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 01:08:11 PM »
Reesa

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress