A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Inside pizza very undercooked. Could the Malt do this?  (Read 447 times)

Offline AtHomePizza

• Looking for that secret recipe
Inside pizza very undercooked. Could the Malt do this?
« on: March 27, 2021, 02:24:39 PM »
Cooking NY Style pizza using same recipe as in the past (which has done me well).
But I would like to have the cornicione more brown.

Since the diastatic dry malt is supposed to help with the browning, I was feeling adventurous and experimenting with malt twice.
Sometimes I find by going to various extremes it helps me to understand what to do and what NOT to do. >:D

This is a general question about the malt so no specific ingredients listed. Go with the estimate of 305 g of flour.

Stone temp hovering between 525 - 545 degrees. (Same temperature as used in the past)

Test 1 - added 1 TBS of diastatic dry malt and the pizza was slightly undercooked after about 9.5 minutes. Definitely affected the taste but not too bad.

Test 2 - 3 TBS of diastatic dry malt (Yeah, I know its a lot but wanted to see what would happen.  :P)
After 3.5 minutes, I placed the screen under the dough. (First time using the screen)
After 10.5 minutes the dough was nicely brown, the topping nicely cooked.
The bottom was nicely brown (with freckles of black), but not as crispy when cutting.

The first bite and I can tell it was off. Checked the dough and can see the crust and cornicione have undercooked parts.
It was so bad, I tossed the pizza.

If I cooked it any longer, the bottom would have been too burnt. I have yet to cook a pizza this long.

I have cooked at this temperature previously for about a minute less (without malt) without any issues of undercooked dough.

Question : I know way too much malt was used, but would using too much malt cause the pizza to be undercooked?

Online Pizza_Not_War

Re: Inside pizza very undercooked. Could the Malt do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 02:40:56 PM »
Too much leads to "sticky gummy" finished product. Sounds like you went overboard on the malt.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 08:56:47 AM »
For 305 g of already malted flour I would use 2 g of the 60L malt I have on hand as a starting point. This is 0.66%, or 2% equivalent of 20 L malt. I would also eliminate any sugar your formula may have while using malt.

Some photos of your results would be helpful.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 09:36:55 AM »
For 305 g of already malted flour I would use 2 g of the 60L malt I have on hand as a starting point. This is 0.66%, or 2% equivalent of 20 L malt. I would also eliminate any sugar your formula may have while using malt.

Just as a point of reference, that's 10x what I use now.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 10:14:11 AM »
Too much leads to "sticky gummy" finished product. Sounds like you went overboard on the malt.

Actually all the dough I have experimented with was always tacky and thought was normal.

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:18:19 AM »

Currently using 6.1g of sugar.
Using 2g of malt would replace the 6g of sugar?
Does this do anything with regards to taste?

Offline AtHomePizza

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »

Is that a lot? :P

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 05:53:03 PM »
Something is amiss but I donít know what. Several times since Christmas I have used 6.6 g in 1,000 g flour and 6.9 g in another formula/different style with 1,134 g of flour. Consistently good results (IMO/for our tastes) with no gumming, odd taste, or difficulty in handling.
-Tony

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 05:58:21 PM »
Currently using 6.1g of sugar.
Using 2g of malt would replace the 6g of sugar?
Does this do anything with regards to taste?
Iím going to take a back seat til my % malt gets worked out here. I have an idea of how Craig must feel because I use a whale of a lot less than you tried!  :-D  No, I would not use malt and sugar both. I rarely use sugar and only use malt in a couple formulas.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 08:09:48 AM »
I wasn't saying it was too much and wouldn't work. I started with 2% LDM based on what I saw some others doing but eventually started working my way down and ended up getting my best results at 0.2% (when added to already malted flour). As with everything pizza, your results may vary.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »
I wasn't saying it was too much and wouldn't work. I started with 2% LDM based on what I saw some others doing but eventually started working my way down and ended up getting my best results at 0.2% (when added to already malted flour). As with everything pizza, your results may vary.
Thank you. I was working off similar posts I read, including what I thought was 2% 20L from Dough Doctor. I divided by 3 because mine is 60 L. Iíve done a lot of experimenting and adjusting to get to where I am with these 2 doughs, but have not changed the malt percentage. Iím using a screen on stone for the first half of the bake on both or I might have seen more browning that I am looking for. Iíll try a lower rate on the one where it is most likely to show up. Thanks for the head up.
-Tony