A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Topping Spillovers  (Read 149 times)

Offline jumpsuit23

• I Love Pizza!
Topping Spillovers
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:06:24 PM »
I have started making pizzas on a stone, launched from a wooden peel. It seems like I repeatedly have toppings spill over one of the sides of the pizza onto the stone. Is this an issue with the amount of sauce/cheese/toppings I put on my pies or possibly an issue with launching? How large should the angle of the peel be when loading the pizza into the oven? Should it be mostly flat for the launch?

Online 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
Re: Topping Spillovers
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:16:45 PM »
Might be too much toppings.
Once in a while I will have a piece of sausage roll off, but not often.

Before you launch the pizza, give the peel a few short shakes to see if the pizza slides easily.
If not, you may need more flour on the peel to prevent sticking.
Launch with slight angle, end of pizza nearest you about 5-6" off deck.
I use one short forward motion, then short jerking motions towards you until pizza is part way on to deck, then longer jerking motions.
It takes some practice to find what works for you.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline jumpsuit23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 12:29:01 PM »
I'm thinking it's the sauce and cheese amounts. It almost seems as if they are sliding of the crust while I'm launching.

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:27:39 PM »
I'd say launching issue. I'm not a delicate person with a lot of finesse. Real bull in a china shop. When I was first learning there were a few topping catastrophies. Eventually I learned some techniques to help me launch. I got a good wooden peel (started with metal) and I learned the old trick of blowing air under the crust to turn it into a hovercraft that will just slip right off onto the steel.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 01:35:57 PM »
One of the great tips I learned from the pro's who critiqued me, was that I was over topping my pies.  Sometimes less, really is more!
All the best, Dave

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress