A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Does oil travel in pan?  (Read 360 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
Does oil travel in pan?
« on: April 17, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »
Wasn't sure where best to post this, so I figured here.

In the screenshot below (from a video I took of a Grandma pie being prepped at Umberto's), you can see he lifts up the edge of the dough a little bit and squirts oil into the pan. He does this on all 4 sides.

Will the oil spread to the entire undercrust of the pizza despite only being put towards the edge? I've been wanting my crust more oily/fried and plan to give this a try tomorrow. (I put a good amount of butter and oil into the pan before putting in the dough, but it still doesn't work.)

Matt

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Re: Does oil travel in pan?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 12:15:40 AM »
Itís hard to say for sure.  All of my pan pizzas have some small pale patches where air bubbles formed.  I use a brush to get the pan oiled as evenly as possible.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 01:12:00 AM »
When I make focaccia I put about 3 tbsps of oil in center of pan and then dump the dough onto it. Flip the dough and cover for a few hours until it spreads and does it's final rise. At that point the bottom is well oiled.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 07:54:13 AM »
I've been wondering if the oil in my pan gets soaked up by the dough as it rests for an hour or 2 pre-bake.

Maybe I just don't put enough. I spread it with a paper towel and get a thin layer. Haven't measure but not 3 TBS.

Pic below of my usual.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 07:56:32 AM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 05:16:10 PM »
Here's what I'm trying tonight.

Pic 1 - coating of butter, more than I usually do

Pic 2 - then a tablespoon of oil spread with a brush. Wow, so much more than my usual.

Pic 3 - dough opened and ready to rest for 1.5 hours

Edit: pic 4, this worked nicely. Only complaint is it had some bubbles. Possibly from the changes I made to the dough, rather than the increased pan oil.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 08:12:03 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »
When I do my Sicilian pizzas (example pictures here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg663759#msg663759 if I link the post correctly), I make sure there is far more than enough oil and I can say without a doubt that if I spread out a thin amount with a paper towel, I wouldn't get anywhere near the crust fry I get in the oven.

I put in a solid amount of oil, probably the equivalent of 3-4 tablespoons. I probably don't need to spread it around, since I'm going to stretch and shift the pizza so much, but I do anyway and I just use my bare hands. I rub it around the pan feeling for any spots of resistance that haven't been lubed up with olive oil, and make sure everything gets a nice healthy coating. It results in some really excellent crusts in my opinion. I use a very very light extra virgin olive oil too - it's very clear and not very yellow at all, I find this to be my ideal oil for frying things, and I think it does well for pizzas in a pan.

Also, I love those underside bubbles. Maybe not so much on a pan pizza but on my sicilian/detroit style pizzas I'm intentionally going for those bubbles.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:20:38 PM by sal951 »

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 10:50:20 AM »
Sorry if this is a silly question but, with all other things being equal, does adding more olive oil to the pan more easily result in the bottom crust BURNING? (I mean, like charcoal-black burning).
Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = He is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = I hope you're kidding.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.
Principal vs. Principle = The high school Principal is a man of principles.
Itís vs its = Itís beautiful in its own way.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 12:24:30 PM »
9slicePie,

Maybe you can add affect and effect to your list ;D.

Peter

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
9slicePie,

Maybe you can add affect and effect to your list ;D.

Peter
Nice one, but no more room in the signature box =/
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 12:37:14 PM by 9slicePie »
Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = He is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = I hope you're kidding.
Than vs. Then = If you score more points than the other team, then you will win the game.
Principal vs. Principle = The high school Principal is a man of principles.
Itís vs its = Itís beautiful in its own way.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 06:52:41 PM »
When I do my Sicilian pizzas (example pictures here: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg663759#msg663759 if I link the post correctly), I make sure there is far more than enough oil and I can say without a doubt that if I spread out a thin amount with a paper towel, I wouldn't get anywhere near the crust fry I get in the oven.

I put in a solid amount of oil, probably the equivalent of 3-4 tablespoons. I probably don't need to spread it around, since I'm going to stretch and shift the pizza so much, but I do anyway and I just use my bare hands. I rub it around the pan feeling for any spots of resistance that haven't been lubed up with olive oil, and make sure everything gets a nice healthy coating. It results in some really excellent crusts in my opinion. I use a very very light extra virgin olive oil too - it's very clear and not very yellow at all, I find this to be my ideal oil for frying things, and I think it does well for pizzas in a pan.

Also, I love those underside bubbles. Maybe not so much on a pan pizza but on my sicilian/detroit style pizzas I'm intentionally going for those bubbles.

Thanks, this is helpful. Seems I was really under-oiling the pan (based on what I'm currently looking for).

Regarding underside bubbles, I like them too. I recently switched to using the bottom of the dough to be the bottom of the crust and that helped give the nice variation. But this pie was beyond that. It had huge bubbles that shifted the cheese. Pic below, but that's an issue for another day (I'm hoping it doesnt repeat).

Matt

Offline sal951

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks, this is helpful. Seems I was really under-oiling the pan (based on what I'm currently looking for).

Regarding underside bubbles, I like them too. I recently switched to using the bottom of the dough to be the bottom of the crust and that helped give the nice variation. But this pie was beyond that. It had huge bubbles that shifted the cheese. Pic below, but that's an issue for another day (I'm hoping it doesnt repeat).

Usually I only get those when I put cold dough on a steel or something making normal pizzas. I will say when I make sicilian/detroit styles I take my cold dough out, put it in the oiled pan, gently stretch it to fill the pan as much as I can, and then leave it to sit for two hours on the counter to get up to room temperature and have a little bit of a counter rise in the pan. Maybe that helps eliminate really big under-crust bubbles? It would be worth an experiment with a pan pizza if you're currently following another process - then again I might just be getting lucky somehow and it's all pseudoscience.

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 01:34:42 PM »
Think you should go to two columns in your sig box ... and add unloosen!  It's really in the dictionary.  :-D
All the best, Dave

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 01:45:50 PM »

Maybe condense  -->   To, Too, Two = It's too bad that only two arrived.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 07:14:46 PM »
Maybe condense  -->   To, Too, Two = It's too bad that only two arrived.
Ey Ďtoí?
-Tony

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 07:26:04 PM »
Ey Ďtoí?

Oops, I changed to make it even shorter and left that out. Hahahaha
How about this -->  Maybe condense  -->   To, Too, Two = It's too bad that it's two hours to lunch.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

wordpress