A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Norma did it again!  (Read 1999 times)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
Re: Norma did it again!
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2022, 07:36:16 PM »
There is just something special about celebrating "our Norma" winning another pizza competition to sooth the soul, give you hope, and make all things right in this world!  Thank you Norma for this light in the darkness of these days.  You have inspired us in so many ways!
All the best, Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Always working and looking for new information!
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2022, 07:52:17 PM »
There is just something special about celebrating "our Norma" winning another pizza competition to sooth the soul, give you hope, and make all things right in this world!  Thank you Norma for this light in the darkness of these days.  You have inspired us in so many ways!

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you!  Your comments are so kind!  :)  Sure can't make things right in this crazy world, or even in my own life.  Glad I could give a little light in the darkness these days.  I changed my mind different times about even going and trying to compete again.  Figured what did I have to lose in the end, because Complex paid my way back and forth and provided a hotel room for me.  C.C. met me at Grand Central Station and took me around Manhattan.  We even stopped for Mama's Too pizza.  What a wonderful experience.  I loved those pizza's.   :drool:

Norma

Offline Zing

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2022, 03:44:28 PM »
Congratulations on winning another competition and on a great video performance. After watching your win, I looked at some of the other pizza competitions on that Youtube channel. They don't seem to have the most esteemed judges in the world on that series, but it is very entertaining. However, I am sure you would have also won the competition if they had a larger number of entries and some well qualified judges.

About 25 years ago, I went to Umberto's in New Hyde Park quite often. Local lore was that the Grandma pizza originated there, at least for Long Island. I seemed to alternate between ordering New York style and Grandma style. Now that would be a good competition - your Grandma pizza vs. Umberto's Grandma pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2022, 06:20:53 PM »
Zing,

Thanks for the congratulations!  Not sure about the past judges, but they did have Scott of Scott's Pizza Tours and Frank Pinello as judges different times and think Mark Iacono .  Sure don't know about a win is there were more entries.  At Pizza Expo in Vegas and the Pizza and Pasta Show in Atlantic City the competition is tough.  The one owner of Artichoke Basille's Pizza, was supposed to be a judge, but am not sure why he had to cancel. 

Yes, Umberto's in New Hyde Park is supposed to be where the Grandma pizza originated.  Glad you alternated between NY style and Grandma style there.  Don't think I want to go into another competition.

Norma

Offline SammyMeatballs

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2022, 07:32:57 PM »
So, all this talk about the meatballs ... did she fry them?

I don't want meatballs on my pizza so I would've picked it off and ate it first.  :)

Offline machada

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2022, 08:46:20 AM »
Norma,

Congratulations. That was wonderful. I couldn't be more proud of you.

You came a long way from your first post on the forum, on March 28, 2009. To refresh your memory, I have quoted that post below:

Hi Steve,
I am new to making pizza.  I am starting a pizza stand at our local farmer's market in Pa. Dutch Country making pizza one day a week.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to join your forum.  I have learned so much.  I will continue to learn.  I have all my equipment and ingredients to make pizza.  Now the big part is to start practicing.  I will do that as soon as I get my oven vented.  I started with the idea in December to start a Pizza Stand.  It's been a challenge to get all my equipment into such a small place.  Now the big challenge is to make great pizza.  I will let you know how I make out with my pizza making.
Norma Newbie

Peter

Congrats Norma. Ironically, I remember reading the first post you made - not when you made it but must have retraced back to it at some point. Most likely in some of your dialogue with the dough doctor  I probably felt compelled to click on your profile to see your background. I was inspired to read that first post because it proved that you could go from not knowing anything, to being a true success if you work at it and keep learning. You are an inspiration!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2022, 10:45:59 AM »
So, all this talk about the meatballs ... did she fry them?

I don't want meatballs on my pizza so I would've picked it off and ate it first.  :)

SammyMeatballs,

I am not sure if Nicole fried them, or one of her 2 chef assistants did that.  I did see Nicole form the meatballs.  They were amazing, in her sauce!  I had Serhan help me get things ready in both rounds.  Nicole had Serhan help her too.  So much goes on in the back kitchen that wasn't filmed.  It was hard to take everything in and try to get my things together for my pizza's.

Wouldn't you like meatballs on a pizza, if they were tiny like some pinches of sausage?  I like sausage pizza's, but never tried meatballs before Pizza Wars.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
Congrats Norma. Ironically, I remember reading the first post you made - not when you made it but must have retraced back to it at some point. Most likely in some of your dialogue with the dough doctor  I probably felt compelled to click on your profile to see your background. I was inspired to read that first post because it proved that you could go from not knowing anything, to being a true success if you work at it and keep learning. You are an inspiration!

machada,

Thanks so much for the congrats! Glad someone else read my first post besides Peter.  I was really lost, in knowing what all when into making a good pizza.  Yes, probably anyone can make great pizza's if they experiment, read the forum and try enough.  My first pizza's I posted at market sure looked bad, and the dough was so springy and wanted to snap back bad.  That is when I was asking for help again. Glad I could be an inspiration.

Norma

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2022, 11:42:10 AM »
Congratulation Norma, I really enjoyed watching that episode of the pizza wars!

Yes I think you are right, most anyone can learn to make a good pizza, but it takes some dedication and a will to learn from one's mistakes and to figure out how to solve the problems you encounter.

Unfortunately it's most certainly not a use this recipe and it will turn out great.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2022, 09:45:57 PM »
that was fun norma but you were much too gracious in your review of that thing nicole created and called grandma pizza  :-D My grandma probably rolled over in her grave. Well, to be honest, my grandma never made pizza but if she did, I'm sure she'd have rolled over in her grave. Well, again, to be honest, my grandma is probably rolling over at the thought of me eating meat on pizza but that's a whole different story.

congrats!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 09:52:31 PM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2022, 08:14:09 AM »
Congratulation Norma, I really enjoyed watching that episode of the pizza wars!

Yes I think you are right, most anyone can learn to make a good pizza, but it takes some dedication and a will to learn from one's mistakes and to figure out how to solve the problems you encounter.

Unfortunately it's most certainly not a use this recipe and it will turn out great.

Thanks so much amolapizza!  Glad you enjoyed watching that episode of pizza wars.

You are right, in thinking almost anyone can learn to make pizza, but it does take some dedication and a will to learn from one's mistakes.  Sometimes it is hard to solve problems you can encounter week to week. 

I agree, most recipe's will not turn out great depending on many circumstances. 

I tried many formulations, recipes over the years.  Some I wish I would have tried harder, on stayed longer to fully understand what to do.

As the saying goes, almost all pizza makers, are never finished learning about pizza's.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2022, 08:24:32 AM »
that was fun norma but you were much too gracious in your review of that thing nicole created and called grandma pizza  :-D My grandma probably rolled over in her grave. Well, to be honest, my grandma never made pizza but if she did, I'm sure she'd have rolled over in her grave. Well, again, to be honest, my grandma is probably rolling over at the thought of me eating meat on pizza but that's a whole different story.

congrats!

Jeff,

Nicole is know for taking pizza's over the top.  Nicole even said she doesn't know of anyone in NYC that was making a grandma pizza like she was.  When I tasted her meatballs, thought Wow, my plain grandma would never win, but Nicole had problems with her dough, the steels in the oven and pan/pans.  Nicole fried basil was also very good.  Never thought of trying that before, so you can learn something new from anyone about pizza.

I tried a new cheese and of course a little cheddar.  The new cheese I tried was Bacio.  I guess I did put too much sauce on both pizza's.  Pizza Wars provided any ingredients you wanted to use, but I brought a couple of my own along.

I forget, but why don't you want meat on a pizza?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2022, 08:38:54 AM »

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2022, 10:21:21 AM »

Norma
Norma, I think it may be that his grandma was Jewish and did not eat dairy and meat together.
-Tony

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2022, 02:03:34 PM »
Norma, I think it may be that his grandma was Jewish and did not eat dairy and meat together.

Thanks Tony!

Norma

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2022, 02:08:25 PM »
Jeff,

Nicole is know for taking pizza's over the top.  Nicole even said she doesn't know of anyone in NYC that was making a grandma pizza like she was.  When I tasted her meatballs, thought Wow, my plain grandma would never win, but Nicole had problems with her dough, the steels in the oven and pan/pans.  Nicole fried basil was also very good.  Never thought of trying that before, so you can learn something new from anyone about pizza.

I tried a new cheese and of course a little cheddar.  The new cheese I tried was Bacio.  I guess I did put too much sauce on both pizza's.  Pizza Wars provided any ingredients you wanted to use, but I brought a couple of my own along.

Norma

Norma, I was just pulling your leg, I'm sure Nicole's pizza was delicious and it was nice to see you two hit it off so well on camera. I'm guessing you know a lot more about pizza than the two judges and your sauce was just perfect.

My grandmother adhered to kosher laws, so no dairy with meat. While my parents weren't religious, it never occurred to them to order meat on pizza so it wasn't until college that I had my first meat-based topping. I'm happy to say at this point, I've made up for lost time  :)

best,
jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2022, 08:58:24 AM »
Norma, I was just pulling your leg, I'm sure Nicole's pizza was delicious and it was nice to see you two hit it off so well on camera. I'm guessing you know a lot more about pizza than the two judges and your sauce was just perfect.

My grandmother adhered to kosher laws, so no dairy with meat. While my parents weren't religious, it never occurred to them to order meat on pizza so it wasn't until college that I had my first meat-based topping. I'm happy to say at this point, I've made up for lost time  :)

best,

Jeff,

Lol about you just pulling my leg. :-D  I understand now why you didn't have meat on pizza's before college, but am glad you have made up for lost time since you went to college!  ;D

Nicole, Serhan and I hit it off at the Pizza and Pasta show in Atlantic City.  Nicole had a car and took Serhan and me to the Caputo party at another hotel.  If Serhan and Nicole wouldn't have invited me, I didn't even know Caputo was going to have a pizza party.  That party was also fun.  Pete got me to show off my pizza tattoo and we had a good laugh.  There is a video about that somewhere. 

I also change sauces from what I normally use.  I used 7/11's doctored up, but also used red.november's microwave extraction method for some of the things that went into the sauce.

It sure was hard to try to keep talking and also making the grandma pie and also eating a part slice of Nicole's grandma pizza, and having to talk when I was trying to eat it.   :-D

Norma

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2022, 03:47:24 PM »
norma, it was a joy to see you making pizza again, hopefully more to come. best,
jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2022, 08:57:01 AM »
norma, it was a joy to see you making pizza again, hopefully more to come. best,

Jeff,

Thanks for saying it was good to see me making pizza again!  Maybe someday after I get all my stuff done will try making pizza's again, unless it is a home oven pizza.  That I could do now, but am pretty busy.

Norma