A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: This articles BURNS me up!!  (Read 728 times)

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
This articles BURNS me up!!
« on: October 04, 2022, 11:09:34 PM »

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
Re: This articles BURNS me up!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 11:46:12 PM »
Get a load of this !!
https://ny.eater.com/2022/10/4/23383228/charred-pizza-nyc

The one time i ate at the one wood-fired pizzeria in my town - Pizzeria 712 - it had completely charred bitter/acrid parts on the outer rim of the crust.

A little bit of char is one thing, and it often doesn't taste bad at all.

And then there's burning it.
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 01:41:33 AM »
True enough..I had a fully burned pie at Modern in New Haven, but I think that article is a char-hater rant.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 07:56:27 AM »
True enough..I had a fully burned pie at Modern in New Haven, but I think that article is a char-hater rant.
^^^  Thanks for posting it.
-Tony

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 08:57:45 AM »
I didn't see any burnt pie in the picture?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 09:42:45 AM »
Nope, none there.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 09:58:28 AM »
That pie looks perfect to me.

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
Maybe the photos in the article are burned on the bottom. They don't look burned to me either. Also, I don't think the average wood burning oven (in the US) is running at 800F. I'm sure some are, but I think a 4-5 minute bake is probably in the 600-650F range.

And I'm a hard pass on a burned marshmallow in a s'more. I'll take golden, brown and delicious, please. Which, ironically, can be done nicely in under 30 seconds in a hot wood oven.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 11:21:23 AM »
I've had a few WF pizzas that were burned on half the bottom due to lack of rotation. At home I can uniformly burn them and save money 🤑.

Online waltertore

• Lifetime Member
  • HANDMADE SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
    • Smiling With Hope Pizza
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 12:15:18 PM »
NY pizza was typified by a pale crust, floppy, overly cheesed, doughy, for decades. I lived 15 minutes from NYC, in NJ, growing up and that was the typical pie.  It was the same style at the NJ shore.  But my local pizzerias always put a crunch on the crust. Things have been changing to char more lately.  I have always charred my pies a bit and was criticized for it for a long time.  Kind of like certain people on this forum used to put me down when I said knowing bread is a plus when making pizza (both are dough and the more you know about dough the more you know about dough).  They claimed knowing bread was a hindrance to making pizza.  I also have been selling bread out of my pizza ovens for decades.  Now pizzerias are selling bread all the time too.  IMO the wood fired pizza craze that hit the USA and the nostalgic trying to recapture coal oven days have led to the char being popular today.  It is hard to find a multi-generational native of NYC still living in NYC nowadays.  I used to hear all the NJ - who would live there put downs - from native NY'rs when I played the NYC club scene in the 70's and early 80's.  Lots has changed in NYC over the years.
PURCHASE OUR HANDMADE 22 GAUGE COLD ROLLED STEEL SICILIAN/GRANDMA PANS
https://www.swhenterprises.com/

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 02:11:09 PM »
Maybe the photos in the article are burned on the bottom. They don't look burned to me either. Also, I don't think the average wood burning oven (in the US) is running at 800F. I'm sure some are, but I think a 4-5 minute bake is probably in the 600-650F range.

And I'm a hard pass on a burned marshmallow in a s'more. I'll take golden, brown and delicious, please. Which, ironically, can be done nicely in under 30 seconds in a hot wood oven.

Forgot to mention, the center of my pizza from 712 was also undercooked. My guess is that they were skimping on wood and just pushing the pies right up against the coals.
- Eric

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 04:09:45 PM »
Forgot to mention, the center of my pizza from 712 was also undercooked. My guess is that they were skimping on wood and just pushing the pies right up against the coals.

Kind of a potentially valid point with the uneven toppings mentioned at the end of the article.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 05:51:10 PM »
As to that point (toppings just thrown on dough without regard for placement) ironically the first place I saw that happening, and where I saw it happening at almost every pizzeria was in Naples Italy!

I think it has to do with how busy they are.   When you have a stack of 40 tickets in front of you and a line of people its just the only way your going to make it through that stack and keep everyone eating fairly soon. 

Offline kori

• Supporting Member
  • Let's make pizza today!
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 08:57:55 PM »
"When I ate pizza in Naples, though it may have been stippled with points of char, the pie never arrived with large burned areas. If a pie gets burned, the cooks tossed it out and started again."

He makes it sound like this is a common thing he seen, burn a pie and just nonchalantly toss it in the can, never been there but I'm thinking that's not the way it goes.
I SMILE AND WAVE....
Inhale pizza, exhale negativity.

Halo Versa 16 ready for duty!

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 11:18:21 PM »
"When I ate pizza in Naples, though it may have been stippled with points of char, the pie never arrived with large burned areas. If a pie gets burned, the cooks tossed it out and started again."

He makes it sound like this is a common thing he seen, burn a pie and just nonchalantly toss it in the can, never been there but I'm thinking that's not the way it goes.

Maybe it should be common? If you know with reasonable certainty that you botched the product, you should toss it and start over.

Waiting in line at my favorite taqueria, the kitchen is in full view of the line through windows, and every time I've seen a cook there make an irretrievable mistake, they just shoveled it into the trash and started again.
- Eric

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci's Pizzeria
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 12:59:46 AM »
I put minimal char on my slice pies but char heavy on all other pies. He got slices when he came in. I guess I got lucky 😎😎😎
Bellucci's Pizzeria
37-08 30th Avenue
Astoria, New York

IG: @The_Bellucci

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 02:41:50 AM »
So Andrew, looks like we can't hate the guy too much  :-D 

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 05:35:04 AM »
So Andrew, looks like we can't hate the guy too much  :-D
Hate is a strong emotion to waste on someone you do not like (Sixto Rodriguez).  ;D
-Tony