A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matching oven to pizza style  (Read 642 times)

Offline kbrede

• Supporting Member
    • Bluestem Baker
Matching oven to pizza style
« on: October 08, 2022, 01:29:50 PM »
I've got a Roccbox on the way. It's my understanding that style of oven is mostly for making neapolitan style pizzas, or pizzas requiring high temperature. NY style on the other hand doesn't require temperature as high as neapolitan.

So, should I use my gas kitchen oven to make NY style? My oven has a max temp of 550F. Or, should I use the Roccbox?

Thanks,

Kent
-- Kent

Ovens:
Gozney Roccbox
Samsung NX58H5650WS + 15"x20"x3/8" steel

Offline stickyD

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Matching oven to pizza style
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 02:17:34 PM »
I've got a Roccbox on the way. It's my understanding that style of oven is mostly for making neapolitan style pizzas, or pizzas requiring high temperature. NY style on the other hand doesn't require temperature as high as neapolitan.

So, should I use my gas kitchen oven to make NY style? My oven has a max temp of 550F. Or, should I use the Roccbox?

Thanks,

Kent

Use the Roccbox, just figure out how to get it to hold at 550F. (How to do this might not be explained in the instructions.)

Offline Gene in Acadiana

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2022, 12:48:10 PM »
I'd use the regular oven. Why over-complicate things and struggle to keep a consistent NY-style pizza temperature in a Roccbox when your main oven can easily handle this?   

Online Timpanogos Slim

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza time! Pizza time! Pizza time!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2022, 05:39:58 PM »
I don't have a roccbox but a friend of mine has had one since fairly early in their US availability.

Getting it up to neapolitan temperatures proved a struggle for him, and he ended up getting a higher-pressure propane regulator for it.

He's mentioned that some users say that you have to increase the flame very slowly to get the included regulator all the way up to full flame, and maybe he just had one that was particularly finicky or never mastered the trick.

So, if you have the propane/gas version, I would say that using it at NY temperatures should be fairly easy. Get a good IR thermometer with a narrow angle to it so that you can have a reasonable idea how hot the deck is.

His other remarks, regarding the 1st gen wood burner, were that it presented a chore of sitting next to the oven and feeding wood into it. And since it produces a secondary burn, it imparts no wood flavor. But with the propane burner, you can throw some wood chips into the back of the oven before launching the pizza to get some wood smoke if you want it.
Pepperoni is just American chorizo.
- Eric

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Sono Travis. Il mio ristorante è Travino’s Pizza
    • Travino's Pizza
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2022, 11:09:40 PM »
You’re likely going to get a more consistent pie with your home oven, but part of the fun of the specialty pizza ovens is learning their “personalities.”

I’d say the Roccbox would be better for ripping out pizzas quick if you’ve got company.
- Travis

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress