A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: EMERGENCY help needed with BIGA dough. My biga is lumpy need a fix.  (Read 250 times)

Offline junep

• Plant Harvest Cook
My biga was being mixed after what I thought was my 14 hr rest and there were no instructions as to speed but the video I watched showed he had the Kitchen Aid mixer on 2. From my one an only past Biga many years ago, I remember the mixer going on full!. So I did that after seeing the dough was obviously, lumpy and not ready, and got the dough looking OK. But my big problem now, is that my 82 year old brain messed up reading my own schedule and I cut my 14 hr biga sitting to 12 hrs and then mixed it. Now what do I do????  I have my grandson coming for pizza tonight! So do I do the final 2 hr rest after forming the ball, and refrigerate the dough, for 2 hrs. Or do I do the 2 hr rest, stretch it in my new Grandmas's 12X16 pan and then refrigerate it???. I'm at a total loss of what to do, so I hope someone can PLEASE
 help me, otherwise I may have to take my grandson out for Chinese food! :-(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 01:40:13 PM by junep »
Conformity is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Offline soler

Re: EMERGENCY help needed with BIGA dough. My biga is lumpy need a fix.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 02:20:20 PM »
2 hours won't make a big of a difference.
Just continue as you would normally do.

Offline junep

• Plant Harvest Cook
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 05:45:11 PM »
It looked like the dough was proofed, after 13 rather than 14 hr, as per the recipe. So, I just took it out of the bowl, and pulled one side and flipped it to the other, then took the opposite side and flipped it back over the side I just flipped. I turned the dough and repeated it and sealed the log shape ends. I then oiled my 12"x16" pan very well, put the log on there. I covered it well with plastic wrap and put it in my garage fridge which is quite cold. I turned my oven on to 450F as per the video, and will check the dough in an hour. My plan is to skip the 2 hrs other rise an take it out in an hour and start the Grandma pizza stretching. I'd like to hold it long is possible. I'd rather leave it in the cold fridge till 4, then take it out then and do the stretches which I'm thinking may take longer because the dough will be so cold. I'm thinking it make take a hour to get the dough warmed up enough to do the multiple stretches. Then I can top it and bake it in the preheated oven for the 20 minutes as per the recipe . My sauce was made last night. My Galbano low moisture, full fat Mozzarella is grated, and I'll just have to grate some pecorino and some parmesan reggiano. I've never made a Grandma's pizza or any pan pizza before and I don't want to mess this up. My aim, if possible is to not have the pizza cooked before 5 o'clock! The pizza is only supposed to bake for 20 minutes at 450F. It's only 2:40 now! What would you do??????? A nervous granny here!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:47:25 PM by junep »

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »
Stop stressing. Take a chill-pill as the kids often advise me. ::)
Stretch it into shape on your pan, cover it and leave it on the kitchen bench.
Put it in the fridge if it looks like going boonta, otherwise, just let it relax.
Mick

Offline kbrede

• Supporting Member
    • Bluestem Baker
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 10:15:49 PM »
Let us know how it turned out :)
-- Kent

Ovens:
Gozney Roccbox
Samsung NX58H5650WS + 3/8 x 15 x 20" steel

Offline junep

• Plant Harvest Cook
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 12:31:06 AM »
2 hours won't make a big of a difference.
Just continue as you would normally do.
Thanks for your help. The pizza came out fine. I will make a few changes next time, but I had no trouble eating 3 of the 9 slices!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 11:38:22 AM by junep »

Offline soler

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 05:38:35 PM »
Thanks for your help. The pizza came out fine. I will make a few changes next time, but I had no trouble eating 3 of the 9 slices!

Oh, come on that was nothing. Glad you enjoyed your pizza!