A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Stretching Neapolitan pizza dough  (Read 1079 times)

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
Stretching Neapolitan pizza dough
« on: December 02, 2022, 10:48:12 AM »
In almost all videos I've watched about this, the person stretching the dough always flips over the dough about 1-3 times during the process.  Last night I saw a video of an Italian pizzaiolo pressing/stretching the dough without flipping it once (which appealed to me since it was fewer steps to achieving the same end result).

So I was just curious if you guys here flip the dough while pressing/stretching.

Offline kbrede

• Supporting Member
    • Bluestem Baker
Re: Stretching Neapolitan pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 11:03:58 AM »
Did the pizzaiolo keep the dough on the work surface and rotate it with one hand after each stretch? I'd like to see the video if you still have the link.

As to your question, I do the flip, but that's just because it's all I've seen. I also pick up the dough and let gravity do it's work and stretch horizontally with my fists.
-- Kent

Ovens:
Gozney Roccbox
Samsung NX58H5650WS + 15"x20"x3/8" steel

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 11:43:11 AM »
Did the pizzaiolo keep the dough on the work surface and rotate it with one hand after each stretch? I'd like to see the video if you still have the link.

As to your question, I do the flip, but that's just because it's all I've seen. I also pick up the dough and let gravity do it's work and stretch horizontally with my fists.

Yes that's exactly how he did it.

I don't know if I can actively find the video, as it came up on my feed (based on my searches).  The title and content of the video was in Italian.  If i happen to come across it again, I'll post it here.

Offline kbrede

• Supporting Member
    • Bluestem Baker
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 01:40:20 PM »
Yes that's exactly how he did it.

I don't know if I can actively find the video, as it came up on my feed (based on my searches).  The title and content of the video was in Italian.  If i happen to come across it again, I'll post it here.

Good to know, thanks. No problem, don't worry about finding it. Just thought if you had it handy. :)
-- Kent

Ovens:
Gozney Roccbox

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 10:05:01 PM »
Found it!

Offline kbrede

• Supporting Member
    • Bluestem Baker
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 08:26:40 AM »
Found it!

Interesting technique. Wish I could understand what he's saying :D He seems real thorough. His demonstration is enough though. I'm going to try this. Thanks for posting! 
-- Kent

Ovens:
Gozney Roccbox

Offline Ovenray

• I like it out of the box
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 09:47:06 AM »
I started out once with the technique the Pizzaiolo is showing in the video and while I became quite experienced and efficient in doing so nothing beats stretching the dough on the fists for effiency as it requires less prep space and less Semolina but also less time (to get to the final size) Basically stretching on the fists just adds another layer of control making it much easier while also being less prone to error.

Ofcourse I am just another homebaker, in no way comparable with someone prepping pies all day, with a limited amount of space and time so experiences will/may vary.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 05:01:24 PM by Ovenray »
EffeUno P134HA 509

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 09:49:07 AM »
EffeUno P134HA 509

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »
I think it also depends on the kind of pizza your are making.  The knuckle stretch or like the video posted by 9slicePie seems geared more towards a Ny Style Pizza.  For Neapolitan pizza the slap method is very popular and quite easy once you get the hang of it.  The 2nd video is a bit slower and in English.  Here's a few videos:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 08:33:41 PM by billg »

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2022, 01:04:14 AM »
Nice contributions by everyone in this thread 👍

Offline Yael

• Supporting Member
  • French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2022, 04:15:46 AM »
In almost all videos I've watched about this, the person stretching the dough always flips over the dough about 1-3 times during the process.  Last night I saw a video of an Italian pizzaiolo pressing/stretching the dough without flipping it once (which appealed to me since it was fewer steps to achieving the same end result).

So I was just curious if you guys here flip the dough while pressing/stretching.

Actually, ASAIK, the technique you were surprised to see is the most widely used technique in the world for dough hand-opening. I can be wrong but it seems to me that the Neapolitan technique has been famous only these last what... 10 years ? (Neapolitan pizza entering the UNESCO in 2017 helped spreading it). France, Northern Italy (-> classic Italian pizza), USA (Tony Geminani...) were all doing as in that video.
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
How I do it:

"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline billg

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 01:08:26 PM »

Isn't that basically the Neapolitan slap technique similar to the video above with Enzo Coccia, maybe a tad slower?

Offline Travinos_Pizza

• Sono Travis. Il mio ristorante č Travino’s Pizza
    • Travino's Pizza
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2022, 01:33:02 PM »
I started out once with the technique the Pizzaiolo is showing in the video and while I became quite experienced and efficient in doing so nothing beats stretching the dough on the fists for effiency as it requires less prep space and less Semolina but also less time (to get to the final size) Basically stretching on the fists just adds another layer of control making it much easier while also being less prone to error.

Ofcourse I am just another homebaker, in no way comparable with someone prepping pies all day, with a limited amount of space and time so experiences will/may vary.

You mean with the knuckles?
- Travis

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2022, 01:38:17 PM »
My challenge with fists and NP dough is thin spots. My dough tends to be too extensible for that. That's where the melt-in-your-mouth tenderness comes from. It's not the same as working with NYS dough.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 05:27:52 PM »
Actually, ASAIK, the technique you were surprised to see is the most widely used technique in the world for dough hand-opening. I can be wrong but it seems to me that the Neapolitan technique has been famous only these last what... 10 years ? (Neapolitan pizza entering the UNESCO in 2017 helped spreading it). France, Northern Italy (-> classic Italian pizza), USA (Tony Geminani...) were all doing as in that video.

It’s not that I was surprised by his technique, per se.   I just found it nice that he didn’t FLIP the dough once.

My challenge with fists and NP dough is thin spots. My dough tends to be too extensible for that. That's where the melt-in-your-mouth tenderness comes from. It's not the same as working with NYS dough.

Can you elaborate on that a little bit?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 05:30:05 PM by 9slicePie »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 06:00:37 PM »
I find that more elastic dough makes tougher pizza.

Offline Ovenray

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 06:05:08 PM »
You mean with the knuckles?

Yes on top of the knuckles.

However that doesnt quite cut it as the stretching happens on top (the back) of the hands by a double (or actually triple) hand motion. Firstly by (totally) opening and (halfway) closing both hands while lightly (and very gently) stretching the dough horizontally at the same time. It took me quite a bit of practice (and dough and profanity) learning not to overdo it as my dough is also very soft and non-elastic.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 06:32:12 PM by Ovenray »
EffeUno P134HA 509

Offline bargebakery

• Hydration is cool
    • bargebakery
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 11:27:00 PM »
How I do it:

I've always found that this method of stretching my NP dough has proven to be the best. It wasn't an easy skill to learn and quite honestly, I'm still trying to perfect it, but it seems to always yield the best results for me.

mike from barge

Offline 9slicePie

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2022, 02:29:37 PM »
How I do it:

Got you; but I guess I shouldn't have used the word "stretch" in the OP/thread title.

When you start PRESSING the dough ball, do you flip it ---> press ---> then flip again to press some more?  The stretching part (as in the video) comes later after the PRESSING.