A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Made in USA?  (Read 586 times)

Offline Madmax9130

• Any and All advice welcome.
Made in USA?
« on: May 07, 2022, 11:38:14 PM »
Didn't find much but a smattering of different results on the forum but nothing super concrete. I'm looking for general pizza making equipment for the home cook that is made in USA. I realize this is the era of everything foreign on Amazon for cheaper but I am always willing to give a little extra to support the home grown economy here in the States so long as its quality reflects the price as well. I have a beautiful Lodge 14" steel and a 12" Wagner cast iron pan for deep dish both made in USA. Peels are easy to make yourself and I already have one but will take suggestions. Looking for a rocker style knife currently so any suggestions welcome. Feel free to drop in any other Made in USA recommendations including ingredients. Not sure this is the right place on the forum for this topic but I am new so.....

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
Re: Made in USA?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 01:29:07 AM »
I can read, and I did absorb the bit about made in the USA, honest.  :)
But I still feel the need to tell you about my mezzaluna.
I am privileged to own one from this guy.
Would love to be able to justify a full set of his pizza tools.

http://www.slowfoodandhandforgedtools.com.au/order/order.php

Mick

Online caymus

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 08:37:29 AM »
Didn't find much but a smattering of different results on the forum but nothing super concrete. I'm looking for general pizza making equipment for the home cook that is made in USA. I realize this is the era of everything foreign on Amazon for cheaper but I am always willing to give a little extra to support the home grown economy here in the States so long as its quality reflects the price as well. I have a beautiful Lodge 14" steel and a 12" Wagner cast iron pan for deep dish both made in USA. Peels are easy to make yourself and I already have one but will take suggestions. Looking for a rocker style knife currently so any suggestions welcome. Feel free to drop in any other Made in USA recommendations including ingredients. Not sure this is the right place on the forum for this topic but I am new so.....

Dexter Russel still makes knife products in the USA.  I bought a rocker style cutter years ago at their Massachusetts factory store,

Offline 02ebz06

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 10:18:29 AM »
I can read, and I did absorb the bit about made in the USA, honest.  :)
But I still feel the need to tell you about my mezzaluna.
I am privileged to own one from this guy.
Would love to be able to justify a full set of his pizza tools.

http://www.slowfoodandhandforgedtools.com.au/order/order.php

He makes some beautiful stuff.
Bruce here... My cooking toys --> FGM 800-B Pizza Oven, Pellet Grill, Pellet Smoker, Propane Griddle, Propane Grill

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 11:02:08 AM »
A forum member in Reno, NV has just begun producing and selling steel pans for Sicilian style pizzas. Here is a link to how they developed the idea and the pan itself. Skip ahead a few page for photos and ordering info. They have been very well reviewed.
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=69342.0

Somewhere, the same person (walterore) has an interesting (and good) story about American made pizza peels, particularly about good customer service.
-Tony

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
A forum member in Reno, NV has just begun producing and selling steel pans for Sicilian style pizzas. Here is a link to how they developed the idea and the pan itself. Skip ahead a few page for photos and ordering info. They have been very well reviewed.

Somewhere, the same person (walterore) has an interesting (and good) story about American made pizza peels, particularly about good customer service.

Tony-
I believe this is the peel thread you're thinking of

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=67347.0

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »
Forgot to add, these are metal peels made in the US. Never tried one or bought from this website, but they look good.

https://pizzaornate.com/

Offline Madmax9130

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2022, 12:44:16 PM »
Great replies so far!

Once I get settled down I will reach out for one of those pans.The peels also look excellent and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I didn't have one already. Sounds like the customer service is top notch as well. For me that's a huge selling point these days. I looked up Basswood and it seems like most peels I saw were this or cherry. Both prevalent in the US so no objection to that.

Caymus do you have any opinions on the "Dexsteel" material the rocker is made out of? I was perusing my blade and knifemaking forums and seems like there is little out there in terms of what it's made of due to its proprietary nature. Any lasting impressions in terms of edge retention and general blade durability?

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2022, 01:05:27 PM »
Caymus do you have any opinions on the "Dexsteel" material the rocker is made out of? I was perusing my blade and knifemaking forums and seems like there is little out there in terms of what it's made of due to its proprietary nature. Any lasting impressions in terms of edge retention and general blade durability?

I don't think anyone would consider Dexter-Russell to be particularly high-quality knives. They are mass-produced blades designed to be used/abused in restaurants. At the end of the day, it's stainless steel which is only going to hold an edge so well no matter what the quality.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2022, 07:24:26 PM »
Dexter Russel still makes knife products in the USA.  I bought a rocker style cutter years ago at their Massachusetts factory store,
I have a Russel knife, from way back in the days when they had wooden handles, black steel blades and were stored in bulk bundles in baskets on the bottom shelf in the hardware store in Alice Springs.
You didn't buy a Russel knife. You just said to whoever was heading to the Alice, "Pick us up a Green River skinning knife while you're in town please."
Mine is the blade profile they just call "butcher knife." Dexter sell some traditional knives with carbon steel blades and timber handles, but that profile only comes in stainless blade and plastic handle now.  :(
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 07:34:38 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Online caymus

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 04:01:53 AM »

I bought mine over 20 years ago and it still functions like new.  I paid $1 or $2 for it at the factory store (could have been a second).  Won't almost any rocker style cutter hold up in the home environment? 

Offline Madmax9130

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 01:19:59 AM »
Won't almost any rocker style cutter hold up in the home environment? 

I would hope so but I have never used one before. I recently got myself into more quality kitchen equipment and once you get that taste of good quality it's hard to go cheaper. But I could see how this probably wouldn't go through near as much as say a kitchen knife or really nice pan etc.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »
It's not like it needs to be particularly sharp...
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Madmax9130

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2022, 02:06:34 PM »
Thats fair. I'll pick one up once I'm done traveling. Gas is killing my pizza making fund right now...

wordpress