A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Almost done! Need some concrete sealer help.  (Read 224 times)

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Almost done! Need some concrete sealer help.
« on: October 21, 2022, 11:33:57 PM »
I am so close to being finished!  The entire build has been a collection of "oh no's."  But I'm really enjoying seeing the progress.  I had originally intended to build my box, around the front and the hearth was supposed to stick out so I would hide the entire chimney.  However after completely failing at laying bricks I found an amazing mason who had already built a few ovens and helped me with the dome and chimney. He misunderstood what I wanted and made the hearth and the chimney flush.  So, we're working with it and will leave the chimney visible.  I think it's a work of art and after figuring out how I will make the box and roof around it, I've realized how great it looks.  I do have a question about the top concrete slab.  Since it's taken me so long to do this project (and I don't think I poured the top one very well) the slab has taken some damage.  I want to put a clear sealer on it that will help really seal some bad places.  Does anyone know of an epoxy sealer or something even better that would help keep some damage to a minimum?  Thanks again for all your input!!  -John

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
Re: Almost done! Need some concrete sealer help.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 06:09:19 PM »
I'm not versed in a clear sealer to protect the concrete. The only sealers I know about would be for bridges and that isn't anything you want to mess with.

It is hard to tell how much of the concrete will be showing. On the side that is framed, there still needs to be some wallboard and then whatever finish is going over it. Don't know what the plan for that is, but it looks like most will be covered up. In the front, you've still got insulation and layer of brick to come up. That could cover up that concrete too. I poured a lift of concrete in front of the oven that I covered with a piece of granite. Got the granite cheap because it was a scrap. Another option would be covering the concrete with thin set and tile.

Just some ideas. The oven looks great.

Offline BANTAR1000

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Almost done! Need some concrete sealer help.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 07:31:57 PM »
Thanks Jon!  I appreciate it!

Right now the plan is an A frame that connects on the side and behind the chimney.  On the right side I want to use that concrete slab part for a bar and I'll have some lights in the soffit.  I've thought about using tile!  That's probably what I'll wind up using. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress