Pages:
Actions
  • #21 by corkd on 06 Apr 2020
  • Hand mix for me. I bake more bread than pizza, so itís become a welcome process.
  • #22 by Jon in Albany on 06 Apr 2020
  • I hand mix pretty good size batches usually. More than would fit in my smaller kitchen aid. Can't speak to the larger home mixers, but I prefer the hand mixed dough after a rest/stretch/fold or two than what I got with the c shaped dough hook in the mixer. The hook seems to flop the dough around instead of kneading.
  • #23 by MarkC on 08 Apr 2020
  • Hand mixing irritates me to know end, I can't wait to get Famag or Sunmix

Love my Famag!  Having a true spiral mixer on the countertop is such a luxury and I could never go back to a Kitchen-aid mixer.

Keeping on topic..  Lately I've enjoyed hand mixing, especially when I just want enough for one pizza.  I don't really "hand mix" -- I just use a bowl scraper to fold the dough once in a while to develop the gluten.  Only time I actually touch the dough is when opening it up to shape it into a circle...
  • #24 by Quebert on 08 Apr 2020
  • Anyone here ever used a Breville Sous Chef to make their dough? I read on a few places when I was Googling that a super powerful food processor can develop gluten in a way you can't by hand. I've made pizza dough in a KA, but that's a pretty weak machine. I made bread dough in my Sous Chef once, it was so powerful and fast that after like 30 seconds it was already where I'd be with 10 minutes of hand kneading.  I know when I pulled it out it was a consistency I'd never gotten by hand, I don't know if it was a good or bad thing, I just know it was totally different. I'm curious about the gluten development.
  • #25 by Chicago Bob on 08 Apr 2020
  • Anyone here ever used a Breville Sous Chef to make their dough? I read on a few places when I was Googling that a super powerful food processor can develop gluten in a way you can't by hand. I've made pizza dough in a KA, but that's a pretty weak machine. I made bread dough in my Sous Chef once, it was so powerful and fast that after like 30 seconds it was already where I'd be with 10 minutes of hand kneading.  I know when I pulled it out it was a consistency I'd never gotten by hand, I don't know if it was a good or bad thing, I just know it was totally different. I'm curious about the gluten development.
    well... How did the bread turn out dude?    ???
  • #26 by Quebert on 09 Apr 2020
  • well... How did the bread turn out dude?    ???

Turned out pretty good, but it was the only time I've made dough in my Sous Chef. And I didn't exact measure everything, so I don't know if it was just a case of dumb luck or if I nailed it. Which, since I didn't measure I suppose would be dumb luck lol. I should make a few small batches of bread in my Breville where I weigh out everything. Ordering an Ooni Koda next week and want to try making NY and Neopolitan dough in it. One thing I remember when I pulled the dough out of it, it had risen around 25 degree's in that 30 seconds. I dunno if that's good for dough either.  I know for high power mixers a bunch of baking pros recommend using room temp water instead of your normal 105-120 range because it'll heat up so much while being mixed.
  • #27 by wotavidone on 09 Apr 2020
  • I know for high power mixers a bunch of baking pros recommend using room temp water instead of your normal 105-120 range because it'll heat up so much while being mixed.
    I am no pro, but I too use water straight out of the cold tap. Machine mixing definitely heats the dough for you.
  • #28 by foreplease on 09 Apr 2020
  • Turned out pretty good, but it was the only time I've made dough in my Sous Chef. And I didn't exact measure everything, so I don't know if it was just a case of dumb luck or if I nailed it. Which, since I didn't measure I suppose would be dumb luck lol. I should make a few small batches of bread in my Breville where I weigh out everything. Ordering an Ooni Koda next week and want to try making NY and Neopolitan dough in it. One thing I remember when I pulled the dough out of it, it had risen around 25 degree's in that 30 seconds. I dunno if that's good for dough either.  I know for high power mixers a bunch of baking pros recommend using room temp water instead of your normal 105-120 range because it'll heat up so much while being mixed.
    You nailed it but now it will be dumb luck if you can repeat it. Happens to many of us once.
  • #29 by Hanglow on 09 Apr 2020
  • Kenwood mixer for me, I detest hand mixing.
  • #30 by Old Red on 11 Apr 2020
  • Always hand mix my pizza. I inherited my mom's Kitchen Aid but only use it for cookies and mashed taters.
  • #31 by Chicago Bob on 11 Apr 2020
  • Love some mashers by hand!  :drool:

garlic and cream cheese..... Ohh my
  • #32 by OHpizzaguy on 12 Apr 2020
  • I mix and knead by hand.  I don't have a mixer, so I can't comment on how it compares to a mixer.
    Iím with you. Though Iíve been thinking about the Bosch Compact mixer for a while now.
  • #33 by OHpizzaguy on 12 Apr 2020
  • No mixer, recently got Danish whisk from Amazon & they help so much! Keeps your hands clean through the initial mixing which to me is when they get the messiest!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZXWR7VW/?tag=pmak-20
  • #34 by Rainier42 on 12 Apr 2020
  • Mostly use my Ankarsrum mixer.  I like its consistency.
  • #35 by jkb on 12 Apr 2020
  • Dishwasher.  Much easier and greener than hand washing.
  • #36 by wiz_d_kidd on 14 Apr 2020
  • Hand mixing and kneading. My old KitchenAid mixer doesn't have the right dough hook to do a small batch (640 gm total) with any consistency.
  • #37 by Chicago Bob on 14 Apr 2020
  • Dishwasher.  Much easier and greener than hand washing.
    I agree with the easier part....🍸
Pages:
Actions