A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Grotto Pizza - Newark Delaware  (Read 1124 times)

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
Grotto Pizza - Newark Delaware
« on: December 27, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
Delaware/New Jersey Boardwalk style mini-chain, with a location on Main Street in Newark Delaware (essentially on the University of Delaware campus).

Definitely gets nostalgia points from me (although this was never my favorite pizza in the area, and while I spent many Sunday afternoons in the pizzeria watching football, I had as many meatball parm subs as I did slices.)

I enjoyed this pie. I'm guessing the cheese is a mild cheddar. Strong flavor of parm that I remembered well. I noticed garlic separate from the sauce, almost like a white pie where garlic and oil is under the cheese. The sauce seemed like a basic crushed tomato. I'm not certain whether the dried oregano was in the sauce or sprinkled on top of the pie. The sauce spiral on top not only looks cool, but gives sauce-lovers a direct taste of it.

The crust was nothing special, but not offensive.

Compared to Mack's in Wildwood NJ, this is less greasy, so maybe it's not 100% cheddar? Though it was a heavier pie across the board, with a thicker crust, more cheese and more sauce. More hard cheese too. I'd say Mack's is a better overall pie and better baked. But I liked the flavors of this pie, and I could see myself trying to make something similar at home.
Matt

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Grotto Pizza - Newark Delaware
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 02:49:55 AM »
Looks tasty...
John

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar W
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »
I'm afraid we'll never make it to grotto pizza as we're completely committed to a family tradition of dogs and cheesesteaks at the Dog House when in the area. I have some photos somewhere, these are from the internet

« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:57:36 AM by quietdesperation »
jeff

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »
Grotto Pizza from the Boardwalk is my daughter in law's favorite pizza. They live in Christiana but have a beach house just a short walk from Grotto Pizza. Good bad or indifferent, I liken it to a Domino's pizza quality wise, but then I wasn't raised on it either so my assessment of quality is HIGHLY subjective.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
I cant speak to Domino's as its been a a couple decades, but ouch  :-D

This wasn't high quality for sure, but I like the idea of cheddar, parm and sauce on top. I can only imagine how good Norma's boardwalk pies taste

Matt

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • In Memoriam
  • In Memoriam 12/2020
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »
While I've not had her's it looks like a great pizza! My reference to Domino's was in reference to the crust...did that ease the ouch any?  :D
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline hammettjr

• Matt
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »
Grotto pizza actually is pretty good. Not over the top quality, but has nice flavor. This was from one of the Rehoboth locations. The Dogfish Head IPA gets an assist, it certainly contributed.

Matt

wordpress