A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Euorpe next year, should I go to Pepe in Grani.  (Read 901 times)

Offline kuhne

Euorpe next year, should I go to Pepe in Grani.
« on: July 12, 2022, 12:45:44 PM »
Hey all, so I am planning a trip to Europe next summer (2023) with my wife and two kids, the idea is to arrive in France or the UK first, then france, while we make our way on a cruise to several French and Italian cities, ending in Rome. My idea was to stay in rome for about 3 nights then fly back home but then I remembered how close naples is to rome, its less than a 3 hour drive from what google maps tells me and visiting pepe in grain has always been a dream of mine, the pizzeria itself is about 50 minutes from naples so it's not that hard to get to once in naples but the problem is I would be in rome, not naples.

Has anyone here done this? I think the best thing would be to rent a car in rome on the day I want to go to naples then stay there one or two nights before coming back to rome airport and flying home but I am not sure how the logistics of this would work, I've never driven in Europe, I've only traveled via train and with 4 big bags and a stroller (and god knows what else) constant train traveling can be a pain in the ass.

Do you guys have any recommendations? How does one even drive to pepe in grani? I've seen videos and I wouldn't even know where to park, everybody seems to arrive there walking.

Any recommendations would be appreciated, if I can fit this on my trip it would be a dream come true to eat a margherita there (and while in naples, eat all the pizza I can)

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Euorpe next year, should I go to Pepe in Grani.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »
I have not been there but if I were close I'd go for sure. I've driven all around Continental Europe and the UK, it's very easy. A lot of roundabouts/traffic circles, so you'll have to figure that out if you don't have many where you live.
Instagram @hans_michigan.

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline kuhne

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 07:57:34 PM »
I have not been there but if I were close I'd go for sure. I've driven all around Continental Europe and the UK, it's very easy. A lot of roundabouts/traffic circles, so you'll have to figure that out if you don't have many where you live.

Well, roundabouts where I am are a full stop for those who are about to enter the roundabout while those in the roundabout are free to keep on spinning forever... is it the same over there?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 09:05:30 PM »
Well, roundabouts where I am are a full stop for those who are about to enter the roundabout while those in the roundabout are free to keep on spinning forever... is it the same over there?

Yes, except for France's Arc de Triomphe roundabout where cars entering have the right of way. So you'll be right at home except that full stop is not required, just yield.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:07:02 PM by HansB »

"The most important element of pizza is the dough. Pizza is bread after all. Bread with toppings." -Brian Spangler

"Ultimately, pizza is a variety of condiments on top of bread. If I wanted to evolve, I figured out that I had to understand bread and first make the best bread I possibly could. Only then could my pizza evolve as well." Dan Richer

Offline ARenko

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:54:04 PM »
Some Italian towns don't allow non-residents to drive into town, but there are parking lots just outside.  Not sure if that's the case there, but I'm sure i'm sure you can find a place nearby to park and walk or take a bus into town.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 10:51:31 PM »
Yes, except for France's Arc de Triomphe roundabout where cars entering have the right of way. So you'll be right at home except that full stop is not required, just yield.
I have walked a across that (and back). Jesus, Mary & Joseph! What is it, 12 lanes (sort of)?
-Tony

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 11:00:00 PM »
I have walked a across that (and back). Jesus, Mary & Joseph! What is it, 12 lanes (sort of)?

Sort of is correct! I've always walked under it.

Offline soler

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2022, 02:49:57 AM »
If you taking pizza seriously you definitely need to spend two days in Naples and of course visit pepe in Grani!

Renting a car and getting to Caiazzo is pretty easy. Parking is not an issue at all. There are parking areas around the village and the restaurant is 5-10 minutes by foot.

Offline kuhne

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 02:06:02 PM »
Thanks for this info! Although I just found out that there's a high speed train from rome to naples that takes about 55 minutes, which means I could take the kids in the morning then take a taxi from naples to pepe in grani and back to naples to see other sights (and maybe eat more pizza in naples) before taking the train back to rome at night.

Offline kuhne

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 02:41:08 PM »

Thanks for this info, years back it was like that in my city, it seemed to vary from roundabout to roundabout or I just don't know but it was confusing as hell, once the standard set in where those in the roundabout are free to keep going and the ones entering need to stop, everything started to make sense.

Offline soler

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 04:07:57 PM »
Thanks for this info! Although I just found out that there's a high speed train from rome to naples that takes about 55 minutes, which means I could take the kids in the morning then take a taxi from naples to pepe in grani and back to naples to see other sights (and maybe eat more pizza in naples) before taking the train back to rome at night.

This is going to be super expensive. I don't know how much the high speed train will cost but  I can tell you that the taxi from naples to caiazzo and back is like 100euros.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 01:40:52 AM »
Getting a taxi willing to take you there and returning might be difficult. Id recommend hiring a local car service or local tour guide that provides a car service.

Your itinerary is very ambitious. Id recommend that you stay the night in the area and explore the countryside.  If that is what you do Id recommend a car rental. Driving in southern Italy is fine, just drive with confidence. You can send me a message if youd like. 

I personally have never been to Pepe in Grani , the pizza looks good and Im sure the experience would be great, but for me I would want to explore the area while there.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 01:44:31 AM by ebpizza »

wordpress