Recent posts

Quote from: stamina888 on July 09, 2024, 01:30:52 PMI would avoid NY, and go to north NJ.

Pick 8 random obscure hole-in-the-wall small businesses in north NJ that nobody's ever heard of.  That may be some of the best pizza you have in your life.

I wouldn't doubt it.  There might be some misses, but worth the effort for sure.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - D...
Last post by robertofrog01 - Yesterday at 11:50:18 PM
Quote from: Decoy205 on Yesterday at 10:28:40 PMGreat looking pizzas really enjoying the pics everyone!!

Tonight's Arc XL bakes.  It's crazy how fast these get done.  60-90 seconds.

Those look really good. Is the Arc any good for NY style also? If so I may need to go there.
Newbie Topics / Re: Anybody Have a Dough Recip...
Last post by wb54885 - Yesterday at 11:05:01 PM
Use a damp square rag to practice the movement of the dough disk being moved in taut, circular motions between/across the span of your hands. It's a very effective tool for getting the spiraling pattern down.

Then make a low hydration dough, maybe 55% with your high protein flour. Try and replicate the movement of the rag with the dough, as it slowly expands in size outward.

Alternating between the rag and the dough will get you there. Also, take breaks between practicing--for whatever reason, this is the kind of thing your brain will get better at making sense of in the interim periods between your conscious efforts.
General Pizza Making / Re: Post a Pic of Your Pie - D...
Last post by Decoy205 - Yesterday at 10:28:40 PM
Great looking pizzas really enjoying the pics everyone!!

Tonight's Arc XL bakes.  It's crazy how fast these get done.  60-90 seconds.

Neapolitan Style / Re: Cooking on Gozney Arc XL
Last post by Decoy205 - Yesterday at 10:17:22 PM
Quick weeknight bake. 

60% hydration.  It's like 72* in my house I let the dough bulk yesterday for about 5 hours at room temp then balled it and let it sit another 30 mins or so.  Then went into the fridge until about 1pm today and it chilled on the counter until around 6 when I did the first pie.

Chicago Style / Bland Crust
Last post by Puzzolento - Yesterday at 08:58:41 PM
I decided to take a crack at Chicago deep dish, using the Holy Grail recipe.

The cheese and sauce were fine, except that I think I'll go with 100% crushed tomatoes next time instead of adding Saporito. I don't think I'll need any help with cheese or sauce.

The crust had a perfectly good texture, but I found it bland. No buttery taste. No hint of corn flavor. I think it also needed salt. What's the solution?

I used the ingredient amounts from the Holy Grail recipe, but I scaled them up 10% because I had to use a rectangular pan. It was too much. The crust on the bottom was 1/2" thick in places.

I used more yeast than you see in the list below. I was in a hurry, so I used a teaspoon. Next time, I'll go down to 1/4.

344 g flour
175 g water
59 g corn oil
3.3 g yeast
1.5 g salt
1.1 g sugar

I used a pound of plain old Galbani whole milk mozzarella. It worked just fine. I used a pint of sauce.
Last post by DrumLug - Yesterday at 06:26:51 PM
Man... Why didn't I think of that. I'm going to be stuck in the Newbie section forever  :-[
Dough Clinic / Re: Tried all methods for Issu...
Last post by Bhushan93 - Yesterday at 06:14:06 PM
Quote from: Yuvalvv on Yesterday at 04:56:02 PMHave you tried implementing biochemical gluten development? https://www.pizzablab.com/learning-and-resources/fermentation/biochemical-gluten-development/

Combining biochemical gluten development with balling the dough at 50-70% of the fermentation time might help you achieve a much less chewy and more soft/tender crust. However, it's difficult to determine what exactly is "wrong" with your pizza without trying it and understanding your specific concerns.

From a technical standpoint, bake times longer than 90 seconds are no longer considered "Neapolitan" (although it could be considered modern Neapolitan depending on the hydration level), as they will not result in the famous tenderness associated with Neapolitan pizza. However, even with bake times of 3-4 or even 5 minutes, you can still achieve a crust that is not chewy, so bake time might not be the issue you need to address.

Do you eat the pizzas immediately after taking them out of the oven? Neapolitan pizzas tend to become a jaw workout once they cool down (around 10 minutes after baking). Although with 3% oil in the dough, this should not be as pronounced.

you are right, I try it in different ways, want I want to achieve is soft tender crust when it is fresh out of oven as well as after like 15 mins out of the oven.

In case if I wait for 15-20-1hr the crust tends to be chewy and a tough. Before I started adding oil it took around 25-30 chews for it to get fully chewed. 

In case of my beetroot dough which i mentioned above, I ate few slices it after 2 days in fridge. Still it got melty after around 5-6 chews in mouth. It had 3% oil in it. 

But for some reasons I'm unable to achieve that level again. 
Is it the size , diameter, weight, maturation time, fermentation time etc . That I'm unable to figure out. 

I did read the article on biochemical gluten development. Dough doctor has consistently mentioned it. I'll go through it in next experiment 
Last post by TXCraig1 - Yesterday at 06:05:53 PM
Quote from: DrumLug on July 14, 2024, 05:35:53 PMI remember hearing in an interview with Tony Gemignani that, to practice pizza tossing, they made a dough that had loads of extra salt mixed in. He also mentioned that the dough was inedible.
What you're describing is a dough for competition tossing. It won't behave anything like real pizza dough, so if your goal is to practice tossing for pizza production, such a dough would be counterproductive. It would be best to practice with the dough you'll be using to make pizza. 
Last post by DrumLug - Yesterday at 05:59:39 PM
Yeah I was actually doing pretty good with just stretching out BF doughs flat on the counter, then occasionally just let it hang off the back of my hands. But this All Trumps stuff is nuts.

Also I may not be giving it enough time out of the fridge before stretching. First try was my usual 2 hours and second try was 3 hours but it was still slightly cool to the touch. That's probably not helping matters.