A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: anyone ever try biscotto stone in a regular oven?  (Read 233 times)

Offline hamface

• I Love Pizza!
anyone ever try biscotto stone in a regular oven?
« on: December 28, 2021, 10:56:31 PM »
so guys, unfortunately i can't cook in my ooni any longer. i'm having to go to a standard home oven (500 degrees f). i have a biscotto stone insert for the ooni 16. i wonder what would happen if i put that on the bottom shelf and tried to cook on it? probably wouldn't cook the bottom at all  :-D

side note, what kind of pizza is best for just standard ovens? i feel like i'm really downgrading here, losing out on neapolitan style. but hopefully there's a style that i can make that i like. any ideas would be appreciated. by the way, i do have 1/2" steel that i can use in the oven.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: anyone ever try biscotto stone in a regular oven?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 11:06:17 PM »
Ny style, chicago thin and crispy,  Sicilian , Detroit.... these are all really great pizza styles you can cook in a standard home oven.

Start playing with your steel, you will love it!!

Or.. if you dont have an exposed bottom element in your oven you could try the biscotto literally on the floor of your oven.  Preheat for a really long time all the way up.  cook the pizza until the bottom looks good and then lift it up to the highest shelf possible to finish the top....OR turn on your broiler right at launch (with your pizza on the biscotto directly on the oven floor)

So many great ways to make pizza in a normal home oven. BUT.... you have to nail your fermentation/mixing etc.   Thats the HARD part.  dont feel held back by your oven.

Offline hamface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 12:15:20 AM »
thanks for the reply. i actually did think about setting the biscotto directly on the bottom  :) but i'll try some more standard ways first, i.e. the steel. i have a nice famag spiral mixer...bought it for the strong gluten development for neapolitan style. is that really necessary or can i use a standard planetary for the styles you listed? thanks!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 06:23:26 AM »
If you have a famag, stick with that!  It will work great with all dough.  If you have a planetary thats great too.  Its all about knowing how to use your mixer, and most importantly when to stop it!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 08:04:31 AM »
Put the steel in the upper 1/3 of the oven and preheat it for 2 hours. You can make some awesome 5ish minute pizza.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 09:23:23 AM »
and 5ish minute is new haven, so there you go with another great style in a home oven!

wordpress