A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Malnati Video  (Read 4942 times)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
New Malnati Video
« on: February 22, 2015, 12:30:52 PM »
Maybe someone's been through this already, but the Cooking Channel show, Pizza Masters, went to Malnati's.  There wasn't a ton of new intel revealed here, but there were two new pieces of info (new to me, anyway): (1) they bulk ferment, and (2) the dough is long fermented.  How long, they do not say.  What would y'all guess?  At least 48 hrs, I'd think.  The show host, who owns some pizza joints in NY, says something to the effect of, "I know about pizza dough, and I knew they let that thing ferment for a long time...and takes on the identity of a sourdough bread."

Tune in at 3:37 to see.  These parts go by really quick.  You can see the bulk ferment and hear his comments in about 12 seconds, and then that's it.

Can watch here (as of this posting, anyway) by clicking on the button for "Video 2":
http://www.cokeandpopcorn.info/pizza-masters-season-1-episode-4/

Marc Malnati also shows from 3:57 to 4:52 how to assemble a "Lou" with spinach, et al., which looks awesome.  I made need to try this.

He also says 500 degrees for half an hour.  Of course, that's only marginally usefully because a home oven is so different.

EDIT (1/19/19): For a substitute link for the above inoperative link, see https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/videos/malnatis-pizzeria-in-chicago-0235988 ; also, note, in particular, the assembly of the "Lou" starting at 2:12.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 01:49:14 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline derricktung

• Lifetime Member
Re: New Malnati Video
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:37:08 PM »
The Lou is one of the favorite pies for a lot of folks... while I typically prefer a nice thick layer of sausage, that Lou pie is pretty phenomenal and could make me consider being a vegetarian.

In terms of the ferment, I don't think it would be much more than 24 hours.  It's a pretty stiff crust, with very little air worked into it (since a lot of it may be pushed out with the weight of the toppings going in).  They may go 48-72, but it seems like it wouldn't be too beneficial to long ferment dough when you're compacting so much weight on it.  (I say that with very limited experience in making Chicago deep dish). 

Offline Garvey

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:02:32 PM »
It may be a stiff crust, but the raw dough itself is pretty soft due to the very high oil content.  Really soft, like softer than biscuit dough.

I would suspect that a long ferment would be for flavor.  And longer fermented dough behaves more consistently with less volatility.  I'm not a fan of same day doughs--for Chicago thin, anyway--since they are brash and less digestible and full of off-flavors.  The high oil of deep dish dough tends to moderate these aspects, though.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:04:09 PM by Garvey »

Offline Garvey

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »
An article on Eater reports a 48-hr ferment.  Seems like this info is straight from Marc Malnati.  I had forgotten about this, which Nate posted just a few months ago.

I also want to give props to Peter, who suspected a long, cold ferment back in 2012.

So I guess the new information is the bulk ferment and the pretty pictures in the video of the bulk dough.  And the assembly of the Lou, which was new to me.

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:03 AM »
I've experimented with 48-72hr cold ferments.  The flavor is barely enhanced if any at all.  The corn oil overpowers any taste improvement from fermenting.  Lou's does have a very distinct beer taste however that I've been unable to duplicate.  Ginger perhaps?  Haha.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
Maybe it's the yeast they're using? 

I agree that long ferments on DD don't seem to do much, flavor-wise.  Thin is a different story.

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
When I make DD with longer fermented dough (48 hours plus), the crust has better texture, and the pies are less filling/bloating.
Charles

Offline Garvey

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
I totally agree on the digestive aspects of long vs short ferments.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »
I've watched a lot of malnatis videos!!  a lot of them from you guys!! a lot of them with Marc explaining the process etc.  he is really pretty tight lipped on the dough recipe, and i would be too.  of course.  why reveal your secrets!!  its your business!  but then he's very adamant about their sausage.  90% lean, no fennel, salt, pepper garlic....hmmmmm.  i know they all throw curve balls.  but i mean 1st off when he shows the sausage it looks like 50% lean...i mean there's so much fat.  its one to one red with white.  i mean it can't be that high or the thing would drench of grease.  but 90% lean??  and why so adamant on no fennel.....hmmmmmm......though doth protest too much!!  but yeah..its all fun.  i like trying to figure out the disinformation.  like i think the milk in the diners drive ins and dives at vito and nicks is total b.s.!! i love the video when kimball of cooks country goes to malnatis.  then goes back to their kitchen. they then cook the sauce.  use shredded cheese,  uses cornmeal.  beats the hell out of the dough for like 5 minutes.  uses a rolling pin...like weird.  they didn't use anything they saw at malnatis.   on a final note... anyone ever use corn flour??  as part of the flour mixture?  would that add a sweetness or nuttiness?? a roasted flavor when cooked?   rock on gang!!

"My Doctor says I swallow a lot of aggression.  Along with a lot of pizzas!!"

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline Garvey

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »
Malnati's sausage does not have fennel.  That is true.  And while it's pretty much impossible to tell fat content from a video, that sausage does look on the lean side to me.  It's very red, IMO (cue video to 5:12-5:20, for those interested).  If it were fattier, like 80%, then the entire grind would be pink and white, not red and white.  IOW, a fattier, more marbled meat will grind up with the fat distributed throughout.  The leaner meat we see picture here is more of a red and white separation.  It reminds me of Whole Foods' sausage, which is excellent pizza sausage.  Also on the lean side.

The thing I don't get is the "Lou" pizza--the one with spinach leaves going down before the cheese.  How does that not turn into a soggy mess?  That whole thing looks wet when assembled yet baked up just fine in the video.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:16:41 AM by Garvey »

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 05:26:19 PM »
Well now Garvey I grind my own sausage from a whole pork shoulder and I cube the pork and the fat and control my mix. And I would say that mine is pretty fatty and I think the red and white or pink can be dependent on the amount of times you pass through the grinder and of course what grind you are using of course this is just my opinion! .  Ive never personally thought of malnatis sausage as lean.  90%?  Anyhow. Good discussion!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
Well now Garvey I grind my own sausage from a whole pork shoulder and I cube the pork and the fat and control my mix. And I would say that mine is pretty fatty and I think the red and white or pink can be dependent on the amount of times you pass through the grinder and of course what grind you are using of course this is just my opinion! .  Ive never personally thought of malnatis sausage as lean.  90%?  Anyhow. Good discussion!

Who knows what the fat content is.  All I know is the stuff is great.  Chicago makes a lot of great sausage actually.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
amen to that!  nothing compares.  my friend brought me 15lbs vacuum packed and frozen last summer when he came to visit me here in boise..  i am trying to make it here myself, but I'm still a ways away!!  but it just kills me that so many local places in chicago just make awesome italian sausage!!!  i was surprised Marc said garlic in their sausage.  i don't know if i ever detected that but it has been a while since I've had a fresh malnatis thats for sure!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 08:08:23 PM »
amen to that!  nothing compares.  my friend brought me 15lbs vacuum packed and frozen last summer when he came to visit me here in boise..  i am trying to make it here myself, but I'm still a ways away!!  but it just kills me that so many local places in chicago just make awesome italian sausage!!!  i was surprised Marc said garlic in their sausage.  i don't know if i ever detected that but it has been a while since I've had a fresh malnatis thats for sure!!

There is definitely fresh garlic in their sausage.  The real key though is the grade pork.

Offline mrmojo1

• Lifetime Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 08:27:18 PM »
i need to have a fresh malnatis!!  not a frozen shipped!!  it has been such a long time!!

-John Candy(Stripes)

Offline KTM Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »
For sausage this is spot on for Malnatis. I used 1 tsp garlic powder since I froze some of it. The first thing you taste in Lou's sausage is garlic. The second thing is NO fennel.

1lb pork (find a good pork to use, tender and juiciness is night and day on some of them)
8.5g kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/3 tsp ground marjoram
1 large clove of microplaned garlic

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 12:44:04 AM »
For sausage this is spot on for Malnatis. I used 1 tsp garlic powder since I froze some of it. The first thing you taste in Lou's sausage is garlic. The second thing is NO fennel.

1lb pork (find a good pork to use, tender and juiciness is night and day on some of them)
8.5g kosher salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/3 tsp ground marjoram
1 large clove of microplaned garlic

This was my recipe right?

Offline KTM Guy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 01:07:42 AM »
This was my recipe right?

Yes based off of Garvey's recipe minus the fennel. Which is good because I'm not a fan of fennel.

Todd

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »
Yes based off of Garvey's recipe minus the fennel. Which is good because I'm not a fan of fennel.

Todd

Cool.  You are the first feedback I've gotten back on the sausage.

Offline Garvey

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »
The Lou is one of the favorite pies for a lot of folks... while I typically prefer a nice thick layer of sausage, that Lou pie is pretty phenomenal and could make me consider being a vegetarian.

Has anyone tried making "the Lou" at home?  I'm typically leery of using a lot of fresh vegetables on a pizza, since they release a lot of water--especially spinach and mushrooms.  I prefer to wilt them in a dry pan first, typically, to release at least some of the water.  I'd be interested to hear what others are doing. 

Cheers,
Garvey