A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Bellucci Sicilian  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
The Bellucci Sicilian
« on: April 25, 2021, 11:51:12 PM »
I added a Sicilian pie to the menu on Friday, exactly 4 months since we've been open.

I didn't really test too much as I generally knew what I wanted to do:

1. Use the same dough as my rounds
2. Classic old school par-baked shell
3. Cooked sauce
4. Plenty of olive oil on the bottom a la Difaras, but in my style.

I'm using Winco Sicilian pans 12 x 18 and the dough weight is 2lbs., for me the classic weight for a NY Sicilian. Joe's uses 2lbs as well...

My dough workflow right now is:

1.  12 hour bulk cold ferment
2.   Cut and ball into the tins
3.  Cold Ferment 36 hours
4.  Pan out into the trays, greased with Crisco
5.  Cover with loose plastic sheet
6.   Room ferment 8- 12 hours, depends
7.   Parbake
8.   Let cool, bag and refrigerate overnight.
9.  When an order comes in, put a Sicilian tray in the oven with a very generous amount of olive oil.
10.  Meanwhile, dress the pie:  fresh mozz down first, cooked sauce down generously.
11.  Take the now smoking pan out of the oven.
12.  Carefully place the par-baked pie into the pan
13. Place in oven and bake a few minutes
14.  Pull it out and add another layer of fresh mozz
15.  Bake until completion.

I've already made major changes to the pie from its debut on Friday where it had almost no fresh mozz on top. I'm sure I'll have more changes as I move forward.

I'll eventually do a nice video from start to finish but for now I'll link to some videos from Adam Kuban from Friday and from FoodBabyNY tonight.

And as an added bonus, I'll link to the Par-baking because I get a lot of questions about that...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/COG1JR-Hm7y/?igshid=ns9nd73s1km9

https://www.instagram.com/tv/COCCVO2Die6/?igshid=vmuxxcors7vz

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: The Bellucci Sicilian
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 07:31:18 AM »
I love your attitude.  "Here's what I do.  If you want to take a crack at it, go for it.  Good luck!"

I'm curious about the Instagram stuff.  Not interested enough to create an account.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:42:40 AM by jkb »
John

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:32:46 AM »
That's a really good looking square

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:41:47 AM »
I love your attitude.  "Here's what I do.  If you want to take a crack at it, go for it.  Good luck!"

I'm curious about the Instagram stuff.  Not interested enough to create an account.

Lots to learn on Instagram, many pros share good info.
Instagram @hans_michigan

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »
What is your sauce recipe?

Also, what flour to you use?

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »
How do you like those Winco Sicilian pans? I looked them up on Amazon and the reviews are all over the place.

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:25:30 PM »
The ones I bought are total garbage,  Andrew I hope you have better luck and can get many years out of them.  Mine lasted about three weeks before all of the coating started coming off and it fell off by sticking ONTO the bottom of the pizzas.

My lloyds pans are still as good as the day I bought them years ago.

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 09:39:12 PM »

Doing my pizza is very easy, so why not share it?

All it takes is a couple pieces of equipment (Pizzamaster 933 - $35k) and a Diving Arms mixer (14k). a decent dough recipe (100% Galahad, 58% Hydration, 2.6% Salt and whatever the f..k 45 grams of IDY is %-wise) and you're off to the races. Of course, just today when making dough I rolled three balls and started to think. And 10 balls later I told my Sous, leave these out for 1:40 today, I'm feeling a "spring". That part comes from making dough since 1992. I go by feel way more than formula. That only comes by putting in the time. There are no shortcuts...

How do you like those Winco Sicilian pans? I looked them up on Amazon and the reviews are all over the place.

They work for me. The more I make squares the more I'm convinced the pan means nothing. My favorite Sicilian, BY FAR, is Ben's on Spring St.  They use half sheet trays and get perfect bottoms and a great interior. It's technique, not the pan...

Lots to learn on Instagram, many pros share good info.

Hans, I don't read reviews (Google, Yelp)- I've chosen to communicate on Instagram. For me it's incredible. I've been able to communicate with the best in the industry - and they answer all of my questions. Again, that's why I've always been free with info, because everyone has always been so generous with me. I get DMs all the time and I answer everyone. It's a great platform for me...

The ones I bought are total garbage,  Andrew I hope you have better luck and can get many years out of them.  Mine lasted about three weeks before all of the coating started coming off and it fell off by sticking ONTO the bottom of the pizzas.

My lloyds pans are still as good as the day I bought them years ago.

Oh man, hopefully I have better luck with mine, I'll certainly let everyone know how they work out over the long run.  I'm am Allied Metal Spinning guy all the way, but they are no more and I've scoured all of NYC for their pans with no luck...

What is your sauce recipe?

Also, what flour to you use?

Still working on the sauce, I'm all over the place but really liking a 20 minute sauce with Bianco Tomatoes and the usual  EVOO, garlic, fresh basil, salt, pepper, chili flakes...

I'm using Galahad...

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 05:47:04 PM »
Now serving Pepperoni Sicilians...

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 05:57:33 PM »
Now serving Pepperoni Sicilians...

with hot honey?
Deb

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 06:32:06 PM »
with hot honey?

Not yet. But soon...

Offline nickyr

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 12:35:52 AM »
How much mozzarella are you using per pie? Iím gonna make a Sicilian this weekend using at least some of your recipe :-)

Offline erickso1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 08:58:33 AM »
That looks great.  Not sure if it would work for you and your flow, but a pepperoni with vodka racing stripes sounds tasty to me. 

Offline 9slicePie

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 10:40:02 AM »
And what cheese do you use?

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 08:29:01 PM »
This looked ridiculous (and non-accessible here in TN). Had to take a crack at it!

Offline johnnyoak

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2021, 08:31:17 PM »
PS - Amazing write-up in PMQ !!

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 09:02:17 PM »
How much mozzarella are you using per pie? Iím gonna make a Sicilian this weekend using at least some of your recipe :-)

Right now, we're putting down 13 slices of Lioni Fresh Mozz Loaf cut at 21 grams per slice. We then ladle 1 and 3/4s of an 8oz ladle of our "Sicilian Sauce" which is a short-cooked sauce that changes every day until I figure out what the f..k I want.

BREAKING NEWS:  Bianco DiNapoli Whole, peeled, tomatoes (yellow label) are SOLD OUT until who the f..k knows when. Motherfucker, that was my go-to, even at $43  ŗ case. But now, Bianco DiNapoli is dead to me and I'm moving in another direction...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:07:39 PM by Andrew Bellucci »

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 09:04:52 PM »
This looked ridiculous (and non-accessible here in TN). Had to take a crack at it!

Woah, that looks very close to mine. So what's your availability?  Are your weekends open???  :-D

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Bellucci Pizza
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2021, 09:16:29 PM »
That looks great.  Not sure if it would work for you and your flow, but a pepperoni with vodka racing stripes sounds tasty to me.

To quote a former Colombian fiancť of mine:  Everything possible. Nothing certain...

Offline nickyr

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 08:07:16 PM »
Right now, we're putting down 13 slices of Lioni Fresh Mozz Loaf cut at 21 grams per slice. We then ladle 1 and 3/4s of an 8oz ladle of our "Sicilian Sauce" which is a short-cooked sauce that changes every day until I figure out what the f..k I want.

BREAKING NEWS:  Bianco DiNapoli Whole, peeled, tomatoes (yellow label) are SOLD OUT until who the f..k knows when. Motherfucker, that was my go-to, even at $43  ŗ case. But now, Bianco DiNapoli is dead to me and I'm moving in another direction...
Wow thatís not a lot of cheese! I was expecting way more based on the pics. Thanks for the info! And good luck with the tomatoes...

wordpress